January 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

January 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:37 pm

If you're new to the Boards, please feel free to join us here. We'd love to support you in moving, step by step, towards your goals and dreams. You can set daily, weekly, monthly goals -- whatever works best for you. Break them down into baby steps and we'll hold you accountable, cheer you on, and celebrate your successes, one day at a time.

"To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping" – Chinese Proverb
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: January 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:42 pm

By the end of 2017 I would like to:

1. MUSIC. OWN A PIANO and be playing it.
2. ART. OWN A DRAFTING TABLE AND CHAIR and be drawing.
3. PEOPLE. SOCIAL LIFE. keep working on reconnecting.
4. HEARING. Take on the challenge of learning lip reading, etc.
5. DESIGN. Keep working on my book.

Goals for January.

1. MUSIC. Deal with guitar. Buy glue. Glue bridge. Buy strings. Get instructions on how to tie strings. Attach strings. Find tuner. Tune. Set up stand. Wrap stand for protection.
2. ART. Nothing this month.
3. PEOPLE. Nothing.
4. HEARING. Start the online lip reading program.
5. DESIGN. Nothing.

I'm struggling with depression so dealing with the guitar and the lip reading is enough for one month. I need to start small.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 am

thanks, Inspire.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1/1/17

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks Inspire for opening the thread. My feeling is less happy new year and more goodbye sad old year.

And yes, Inspire, take it slow and steady.

Up at approx. the time I expect. Stayed up till 1:30 last night from attending a party. When I'm not working on edits I'm resting to recover from the effort to get my essay this far and to gain strength for the finish.

Read a great blog on why finishing is the hardest part and why do it anyway https://foundrmag.com/finishing-the-project/

It's really a boost to have my friend who taught me co-editing sign on and be the first person I co- with.

Steinbeck wrote in his diary near the end of writing East of Eden that he wasn't sure it was much good but it was the best he could manage.

I'm on the last chapter, the very last. It may be fifteen page long but I can't help that. It may be twenty. The rain—the birth—the flood—and the barn. The starving man and the last scene that has been ready so long. I don't know. I only hope it is some good. I have very grave doubts sometimes. I don't want to seem hurried. It must be just as slow and measured as the rest but I am sure of one thing—it isn't the great book I had hoped it would be. It's just a run-of-the-mill book. And the awful thing is it absolutely the best I can do. Now to work on it. [my italics]

Oh, just a run-of-the-mill Pulitzer winner; + run-of-the-mill contributor to winning the Nobel Prize; + run-of-the-mill promotional push from the publisher; + run-of-the-mill first editions selling 543,000 copies. Oh, yeah, John, that run-of-the-mill book you're talking about.

Reminded me that my work is the work and I'll have to let my own or other people's reactions not stall me.

Today:
Check website for style guidelines
print my copy edit sheet
sharpen my red pencils
research turbotax

toplay
research yelp's local forum for a place to put my list of ways to save $ (dribble it out slowly over time)
see if there are more sites (perhaps join and ask?) like it

tolive
laundry
clip nails
preview week's/month's schedule
pencil in free music events

tothepage,
Lx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:49 am

Hi, Batgrrl!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:50 am

Hi, Liliredfern,

(Sorry if I misspelled your logon)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 am

Sitting in a teahouse awaiting a new writing friend to arrive & co-proof w/ me. After much meditation on my morning routine for today juggled a trip to the butchers for landjaeger from after this meeting to before. And I was able to do it!

Interesting process for me soulfully. It's been a long, long, journey for me to get soft around criticism. Still a bit crusty along the edges. Still, I can feel the difference. My S.O. whose chronic complaining is a bit of the soundtrack of my life is a whizz at proofing!

I have 3 sessions planned for today and then I'll alert my buddy I'm working with for tomorrow where things stand.

I'm considering adding back something I cut. It's about large families' siblings avoiding collective punishment when something goes awry and the parents can't determine the culprit. I've heard it anecdotally from kids in large families that they find a way to help the usually miscreant siblings behave themselves.

This is actually good as I can start with this ¶ and write from there.

Thx 4 reading, & now, 2 the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:44 am

" It's about large families' siblings avoiding collective punishment when something goes awry and the parents can't determine the culprit. I've heard it anecdotally from kids in large families that they find a way to help the usually miscreant siblings behave themselves. "

Interesting!

Feeling sloggy today.

It's about to rain, and I need to walk Molly, and i'm not dressed yet.

And I wish writing were easier.

To the closet.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:50 am

Oops, too late! It's coming down in buckets.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Who are Liliredfern and Batgrrl?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Liliredfern and Batgrrl are new members of the Boards. I found their names at the very bottom of the main page. Batgrrl is the name that is on there now.

There are also two other new members, and I forgot your names. Sorry! But you're also welcome.

I just found this information a couple of days ago.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Lynx, I'm not great at proofing, but if you still want someone to proof some of your work, I'm willing to help. Also, I don't live very close to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:25 pm

This is a very short rant:

I HATE MY LIFE.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

01 03

Postby Lynx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks Elaine for the offer, but I am booked solid for now. Had a great time this morning with the next co-editor looking at my longest sentences. Resulted in some things being resolved differently that I thought were settled. Good stuff.

Next tasks are to rewrite a few ¶s and start to put the endnotes in the right format.

I may get some renewed pressure on that article draft/journalism piece. I haven't called the editor because I needed my energy and time for this essay, but the legis session starts on Monday.

Tomorrow that's a community meeting about this law I'll make it to and check in with editor after that.

Inspire: re your rant. Yeah, I get it. Patches of life are really rough at times.

Langston Hughes'
Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Lynx,

Remind me again what your projects are. There are two of them, right? What are they?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories