January 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Inspire,

Happy to:
1 is an article on a overly protective policing law
2 is an essay for a contest. Both "due" around now, so the pressure builds.

Today: looking at footnotes and arranging still more co-reading times with people. Had looked like I'd be done but working on my longer sentences yesterday jiggles the cart.

Not much more time for a warm up and today's first work is looking at endnote formatting and plotting times to work mine into the right format.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: January 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Inspire: I especially like "Paint the guitar some appealing color" I'm not sure if I would have thought of it, but now thinking what colorizing might help me with stuff.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Lyndon wrote:Inspire: I especially like "Paint the guitar some appealing color" I'm not sure if I would have thought of it, but now thinking what colorizing might help me with stuff.

I'm glad it gave you some ideas. I've decided not to. It doesn't belong to me. It was given to me a few years ago with the understanding that if her son every wanted it back, I would give it back. After so many years, I thought if they wanted it back and it was painted lavender, I could say, "Oops! I thought you gave it to me for keeps"! But I don't have the nerve to do it.

The color of the wood is so ugly that I made space in my closet for the stand and the guitar. Unfortunately, that means that I now have a pile of boxes in view that were out of sight in the closet. Sigh. I don't know if I'm ever going to make this living space work.

It's a small, one bedroom apartment. The rest of the folks here have a sofa and a TV in the living room and a bed and a dresser in the bedroom. Like regular people.

Me? I'm trying to make it a living and work space -- guitar, piano, drafting table, sewing table. It's still not working. I feel like all I do is move things from one place to another. And then back again. It makes me want to press my palms on either side of my head and screech like tires on a fast-moving car in a cop movie.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi, all,

Lyndon, I just found your last post on the December thread about your trip to the hospital. What a way to star the new year!

I hope we all have a good one.

My writing is coming along, but oh so slowly. I wish I could clone myself so that we could have a conversation about what to do to Weasel.

Happy steppin.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:28 am

Hi folks,

Oh, Lyndon, what a literal runaround. C'mon Insurer! You're messing with people's health. Seems you came out of it in fairly good humor but the lack of coordination and reciprocity between insurers is criminal and costly, not to mention potentially killing. I know, I'm african american and have read the stories of people literally dying because they had the bad luck of getting ill or hurt close to a "white" hospital rather than a black one. This was mostly in the south, but still. Alright, I can feel myself climbing a soap box ...

Today: feeling tired of the chronic pressure to move one of my projects forward every day. Everyday, this means a list with just about everything on it: what I plan to move, and the messy things of living like, oh, shopping, paying bills, anyone I need to call, etc. No help that my biorhythms have dropped to fresh lows compared to last week.

Today, it's looking at my footnotes, mimicking the formats I see from past winning essays, and making mine conform. Consistent fonts, size, etc. Also, there's more composing (who knew? well I had guessed) after my last session I have several place to fix and strengthen.

Also, scheduling in more co-proofing times. The most thorough co-proofer is also the latest and has helped me find places to strengthen it.

Grateful, tired, turning ...

To the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:49 am

To the step and the next step and the next step.

Me. I spent the evening trying to figure out what to do with Weasel, and coming up blank. And just before I went to bed, I started to get a sketch of an idea. And in the middle of the night I got a little more of an idea. I'm a little less than halfway through the climax and ending. That's just a sketch of the climax and ending, not all the writing that goes into it.

Re writer's block. I think sometimes we're truly blocked, but sometimes, and I think in my case this is what's happening, we have to create a story out of nothing. It feels like I'm doing nothing, but it just takes time for the idea to come through the fog. Still a lot to do, and I'm still on shaky ground with some of the plot, but I have a better idea of where I'm going.

By the way, one thing that made a difference for me - you know the phrase out of the Bible where Jesus tells the fishermen to cast their nets on the other side of the boat? Well, I thought of that and decided to try something opposite of what I'd been working on. It's really a hybrid idea, but I think I'm on to something.

Happy New Year, Happy New Steps, Everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:48 am

Elaine,

It's sounds like you're being very creative with your approach to writing. I think that's a good thing -- exploring techniques you haven't tried before.

I assume the Progoff Journal dialogue didn't work. If it had, I'd suggest having a serious chat with Weasel. Of course, after talking with him, you'd have to take multiple showers and scrub really hard to get all the muck off. He's a right nasty critter, no doubt about it.

Keep up the good work of challenging yourself to work in different ways. Cast the net on the other side and see what you catch. Although, I think I should warn you -- you might pull up a net full of weasels.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 5

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 am

Lynx wrote:Grateful, tired, turning ... To the page...

Hang in there, my dear. You're close to the end and you've done an amazing job so far.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 am

Lyndon,

I couldn't respond to your saga of the ER because it brought back terrible memories of many ER/ambulance experiences of my own. I'm afraid I didn't/don't have your sense of humor to get me through the actual experiences or the memory of them. I do have a sense of humor, which frequently is the only thing that keeps me going, but in those types of circumstances, my humor is nowhere to be seen/heard/or experienced.

Despite your humor about it, it sounds really awful. I'm glad you're out and on the other side.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 am

inspiresuccess wrote:Elaine,

It's sounds like you're being very creative with your approach to writing. I think that's a good thing -- exploring techniques you haven't tried before.

I assume the Progoff Journal dialogue didn't work. If it had, He's a right nasty critter, no doubt about it.

Keep up the good work of challenging yourself to work in different ways. Cast the net on the other side and see what you catch. Although, I think I should warn you -- you might pull up a net full of weasels.

Hi, Inspire Success,

OH, yes, you have a sense of humor:
" I'd suggest having a serious chat with Weasel. Of course, after talking with him, you'd have to take multiple showers and scrub really hard to get all the muck off." :lol:

"Cast the net on the other side and see what you catch. Although, I think I should warn you -- you might pull up a net full of weasels." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish there were an emoticon with the little guy falling off of his chair laughing.

The Progoff was interesting. I got the feeling that the negative self wasn't all that negative, and that it was helping. Which makes sense. Maybe I'm being too easy on my negative self, but I don't think so.

Now I have had times when I'm just running away from the writing. That's different.

And maybe it did make a difference this time. Who knows? I did manage to come up with some ideas a couple of days later.

Anyway, know that I appreciate your input. It's very helpful to have someone care about what you're doing. So thanks. I know you're facing a few challenges to put it mildly. Just know that we're all on your side.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Elaine,

I'm glad the support helps. :D

Maybe I didn't make myself clear about dialogue. I only gave you one example.

Dialogue can be with anyone. In both WishCraft and Live the Life You Love, Barbara suggests having imaginary mentors. You can write a dialogue between you and your favorite writer and get his/her advice. You can dialogue with Weasel or any of the other people in your book. You can dialogue with anyone -- living or dead or imaginary. You can even dialogue with inanimate objects. You can have a chat with the chair you sit on when you play solitaire. I'm sure the chair would have some interesting things to say. :D

The options are endless.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: I know you're facing a few challenges to put it mildly. Just know that we're all on your side.
Thanks. I needed that.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm

According to Robin Williams, this is what chairs think about all day: "Oh look! Here comes another a$$hole." :)

Ooops, this is stepping. So...

We really need to declutter. We got some medical supplies shipped to us by accident -- another patient's order came to us instead. I could probably sell it to someone, but I don't know how.

I have many used ink jet cartridges. I hear they can be recycled. Perhaps, Staples (office supply store) will accept them inexchange for reward points. Then there are the supplies to go will a piece of medical equipment that we used once. We might use it again, although my wife doesn't want to. So I feel I need to keep those around.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:22 pm

SquarePeg,

RE: ink cartridges. I've been turning mine in for years to Office Depot, which is now Office Max, I think. Go to the websites and read the fine print. I used to get $2 credit for each one. There is some little trick to it that I don't remember. Something like you have to spend $10 at the same time you turn in the cartridges in order to get credit for them. Or you have to spend a minimum of $10 when you use the coupon from the cartridges. I don't remember and different stores have different guidelines. But yes, you can get paid to turn them in.

I think it also might matter what type of cartridges they are. Also, I think you have to use the coupon you get within a certain period of time.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Staples will recycle the ink jet cartridges if you have rewards card. But I don't think they give you money for them.

According to Robin Williams, this is what chairs think about all day: "Oh look! Here comes another a$$hole." :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories