January 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: January 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Have you tried the "contact us"? I think that's how I got help in one situation. They did something to wipe me out of the system so I could start over. But...another one said they couldn't wipe me out of the system. But somehow they helped. Wish I could come up with something concrete. It's happened more than once to me with different websites and I've always gotten out of the situation.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks. I'll let you know if it worked.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 am

Where did all the excitement go?

Don't miss it. Happened to reflect a bit during the week on Mr Steinbeck's feelings when he closed out his draft of The Grapes of Wrath. He reminded himself to slow down, keep the same space, just another day of work, etc.

Where did I get the feeling I had to speed to the finish? It's from track in high school phys ed classes. I had no particular interest and wasn't star material, so I did what I was asked to do during class. I think we were running twice around the track. After the last turn I picked up my pace and started closing on the boys in front of me. Apparently some cute girls watching in the stands cheered for me. I don't remember hearing about it till after, but somewhere in my virgin heart the burr caught that girls like a strong finish.

Trouble is, till this week, I only had one message to myself for how to finish, "see the line then speed up." Aware now that everything requires its own type of finish.

The old way definitely fed my very costly m*ni*. Wish I'd known,—one theme of my life—it would have saved me lots of anguish and loss with the side benefits of fewer accidents, stubbed toes, dropped things, misplaced items, and torn clothes along side of less embarrassment, need for apologies, and confused grief at my last minute reversals due to my missing a vital detail.

Still, with Death as the ultimate finish line, this insight may be of service.

Have several small writing projects so this is my warm-up.

To the page,

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Lynx, thanks for the email reminder to do my SES. It's really important that I do it right now because I'm suffering from a huge amount of depression. Also, my immune system is low from all the stress so I'm feeling physically sick as well. Still limping from hip pain. Generally, doing really, really poorly. Need to hang in there and write it all down. If I don't write it in the SES, I just pretend it's not happening. Writing it down makes it real. And I don't want it to be real.

It's halfway through the month. My goals for the month were the guitar and lip reading. I've done nothing with the guitar. I signed up for the online lip reading. I get an email reminder daily and I do the 10 minute challenge. I've done it 5 out of 6 days so far. I still have half a month to do something about the guitar.

Lynx and Elaine, thanks for sharing your progress here. Focusing on other people's progress helps me to feel less sorry for myself. It's good for me to ride on other people's coattails right now since I can't do much about my own life.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Inspire, I guess I forgot to remind you about SES. Sorry.

Me - just got a tooth pulled, so I'm feeling sorry for myself and bleeding into a cotton ball. Blood tastes really bad!

Other bad stuff happening.

Wednesday will be better. Tomorrow will be a $#@%$^#$
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

16 MLK B'day

Postby Lynx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi folks,

Elaine and Inspire, big supportive hugs out to you. OOO (according to Wikipedia, Xs represent kisses, leaving O to be the hugs. Interesting there's no hugs emoticon.)

About reminders, after much research and experimentation, even making my own calendars on excel, I've found that Keep and Share works best. It's free and online. What's great is it offers all the right repeat reminder options and sends reminders via email and/or text to help keep you on top of things.

Myself, for the first time in 12 weeks I don't have some major writing impending. So what did I do? Fixed holes in my jeans with ironpatches.co inside and outside patches. So far they seem to be just wonderful. We wash in cold water so they should hold up for a long time. I used both in- and outside patches on one whopping hole across one knee.

Now to read a novel by halogen light. (just found out today that Edison's maligned incandescent bulb is showing new life. University researchers have found a way to increase its efficiency.)

To the page (for reading),
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 pm

[quote="inspiresuccess"]Have you tried the "contact us"?

the first time I tried it, they said thank you for your comment. I tried it again, and they said they'd get back to me within five business days.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Hey, Lynx, enjoy a good break after the work.

Me - life is poopy at the moment.

I'll try a little writing before going to bed.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:
inspiresuccess wrote:Have you tried the "contact us"?

the first time I tried it, they said thank you for your comment. I tried it again, and they said they'd get back to me within five business days.

That sucks. Do you mind me asking what website this is that you're having problems with?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks, Inspire, I think it's one of those internet things where, if I'm patient enough, I'll eventually get on.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Thanks, Inspire, I think it's one of those internet things where, if I'm patient enough, I'll eventually get on.

I've had trouble with large companies and small ones. The one I had the most trouble with, was a small family-run company. It took longer, but they did come through and it was straightened out. The larger websites responded more quickly. With some patience, I think you'll get it straightened out. I've had it happen about 5 times now, and in each situation, it finally got resolved. I've never had it not work out in the long run. Good luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Elaine, thanks so much for suggesting I use a mirror when I do my lip reading. It makes a huge difference, especially with words that look similar, like glad and had. I say both in the mirror several times to see the tiny difference in the shape of the mouth. I really think it helps.

I HATE HAVING TO PRACTICE LIP READING. But I'm doing it. It's a skill I need. I think the website I found is really good.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 am

Inspire, I'm sending you good wishes for your lip reading. I'm glad you found a web site you like. Lip reading has been a lifesaver for us.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi folks,

Keeping a low effort profile for a bit the next four days.

Today, a clinic visit (routine) and reviewing a play tonight.

Tomorrow, a massage and going to a interesting meet-up on better teams (one of my specialties). Thinking it might be fun to see if I can get into their 2-day conference in April. Early bird is $550, which is too steep. Maybe I can volunteer in for $free? A kid can hope, can't he?

Saturday going to see a gallery talk/walk for an exhibit of African American Artists. First of two I can make.

Sunday, I'll have to see.

From bunker deep underground,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

20 Jan

Postby Lynx » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 am

Just skimmed an interesting piece on Medium: This Morning Routine will Save You 20+ Hours Per Week

Much of this I'd already figured out from tracking my life: my first moments after waking are my best, protein for breakfast. But some were interesting and new: playing songs on repeat help with focus, which makes sense, just hadn't thought of it since I often turn off everything when I need focus but play music during breaks.

Also learned about listenonrepeat dot com which might be my Songza replacement. I miss you, Songza. RIP. Find something, replace youtube.com with listen on repeat, and it's added to your library. They also curate what other people collect, which was part of the fun of Songza.

Own stuff this morning is very slow. Printing out some forms, connecting with a couple of folks I need to, reading a great set of essays about life, writing, love, etc.—Bukowski in a Sundress: Confessions from a Writing Life by Kim Addonizio. Just read a funny one about her clearing her calendar to get away on retreat and write, and nothing came to her. Agghr!

Have a massage this afternoon.
Then trying out an Indian fast casual place copying Chipotle's ordering line.
Then a meet-up on high performance teams. Last job I had our newest member was in grad school and after being in our meetings a few times commented: "Wow. You guys are really a high performing team. Is this intentional or by accident?" It's one of my professional hobbies. I'm looking to angling in for a discount, best case—free—, to the conference they have planned for April.

From a bunker deeper underground,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories