January 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: January 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:46 pm

I've started something music related, which I'm happy about. I'm going to a music appreciation class once a week for one hour. I've gone 2x and it's already motivated me to play a little bit on my keyboard. I'm playing about 5 minutes at a time off and on. Baby steps.

As far as my hearing goes, I'm doing the 10 minute daily lip reading and then the class once a week. I'm hoping the daily stress will help build up my tolerance for the auditory stress. Then the big stress once a week with the class won't be so difficult.

There's another class I'm hoping to take in April. It's a 2 hour lecture class. 2 hours is a really long time for me to tolerate the auditory stress. I'm hoping that 10 minutes of stress per day, with 1 hour of stress per week for the next 8 weeks will prepare me for the 2 hour class. We'll see how it goes.

The auditory stress is impossible to describe. It's really awful and I have to have a really long recovery time, like an entire day in bed, after being exposed to noise for one hour.

The most important thing is I'm doing music related stuff. Music is one of my year long goals this year so it feels good that I'm doing something the first month of the year.

I still have 10 days to get the guitar goals done this month. I'm going to be buying the glue on Monday. Baby steps.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

22 baby steps tiny habits

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 am

Hi folks,

Inspire: check out tiny habits.

Me, oy, time to make another monster-mega list. Lots of Yuck on this, the Yuck This List! section. Jan - Apr is not as much fun as the rest of the year. Things like durable medical power of attorneys, p.o.a. general, advance directives, wills. Taxes. Politics (or the messy business of co-existing).

I do know I want to build small with each of my Yuck Goals for sure, using the Fibonacci Series: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, etc. The series starts with 0, adds, 1, then each next number is the total of the two previous ones. 0, 1, 0+1 =1, thus 0, 1, 1. then 1 + 1 = 2, 2+1 = 3.

I'd start simply thinking and dreading. 0
Then do something. 1
Then some time later, I do one thing again. 1
Then later, over a pair of days I need to do something both days. 2
Then a 3-day stretch, 3,
Then a 5-day stretch, 5.
Think I'll stop there and either maintain or go back down the list: 5, 3, 2, 1, 1.

Creative stuff, the Yes! This List: writing articles and reviews, next steps for my subscription project through Patreon, connecting more with Nobl.io and seeing what I can do to get in their two-day conference in April, picking up some themes or sections I had to delete from my essay and working them forward.

Social stuff, the Guest this List, getting out there more with friends, inviting people to fun things I plan to do.

Mundane stuff, Or The Messy List, back up computer, organize more bags.

The interesting thing at this point is deciding where to keep track. Best might be Keep and Share. I just checked and it can set a start and due date and send reminders via email. But only X days in advance.

42 Goals is interesting because you can run a daily record of your attempts on goal. No reminders, though.

I think just looking at 42 Goals every few days would be good. Or K&S for that matter. What I like about 42 Goals is if I miss too many days running the gaps bother me and I do something on that goal.

A third option is Airtable. This is a cross between a data-base and spreasheet. Still in beta in many ways, for basic functions seem to work well enough. What I like about airtable is that it has lots of room for notes. No reminders.

A fourth option is Trello, which is fun to work with because it's set up like cards and making progress is a little like solitaire.

A fifth option is some type of paper or computer spreadsheet.

A sixth option is to win the lottery and pay someone to do all this stuff. Let them figure it out.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Lynx, Inspire, good luck with your plans for the new year.

Me - just plugging along.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm

“Daily goals” and “Lyndon” don’t seem to be going together that smoothly. My writing bounces from zero to 1400 words per day. Despite Gloom, it is near the monthly rate I did in Camp Nanowrimo. I’m also finding a surprising amount of enjoyment in rewriting and editing – easily getting first draft 2-3 grade levels easier, once I trim big words and long, long, going on forever sentences.

Saturday March news around the world was encouraging. Especially enjoyed the one from Antarctica. Especially impressively gutsy was the one in what’s left of the country of Georgia – which has been heavily nibbled on by Russia.

Haven’t started sending out applications, or seriously looking, but gathering resources. An additional filter will be campaign donation info that’s on public record – to help me avoid company whose owners donate their dollars to ickiness.

On home front, getting at least an hour a day more sleep than last year – and reformatted stuff that Diane and I can be in companionable company while we read or play computer games.

I’ve been doing more reading and less computer games this month.

Lynx: What? Track advice in phys ed isn’t necessarily wonderful advice for writing? Astonishing!

Now I’m trying to imagine the other way around, if coaches insisted on giving track runners advice that is helpful for writers.

Signed up for the next free 5-day intro to Tiny Habits. It starts January 30, and could provide a good lead-in to February.

I’ve had a fondness for the Fibonacci series for over half a century. Also working it into some game mechanics.

Elaine: Can the tooth extraction bad-tasting aftermath be useful in writing?

Inspire
It occurred to me to look up how much beards hinder lip-reading. My beardiness is growing, though with gray hairs, I might want to shave it off to avoid waving a gray flag during the interview. Or maybe I want to have it to help screen out ageist employers. (Diane’s reaction to getting gray hairs was “My gray hairs! Mine! Mine! I’ve earned them!)

Since I’m not going for ZZ Top level facial foliage, it looks like I’m probably not making it harder on people.

I've been short on listening to music for pure fun. Most common use is getting headphones on at work as electronic counter measures between me and distracting office radios, tv and office chatter. Hmmm.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

24 YtL

Postby Lynx » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 am

Hi folk,

Lyndon, not sure where you found my track advice. I'm simply keeping track, some way to self-shame myself into do the Yuck this List mostly.

Two Yuck this List (YtL) today:

Finish local taxes (timer set for 1 hour, easier of the two).
Call old private dentist about making adjustment to a denture (10 minutes, max, then appt, harder on many levels).

I started my Index List. Dreaded this, but this morning got more into the spirit of it. Steinbeck at one point said that whatever momentum he created wanted to sustain—so getting a daily rhythm with writing led to wanting write more, and slacking off led to wanting to slack off more.

Once something is written down, a second part starts playing with how to make it interesting, especially messy, longer time frame things involving other people by necessity. When including others is not required, then adding others in some way makes it more interesting. Calling out to people to help proof and edit was an example of that—it isn't required, so it added the interest.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Hey! I did a first step (finally) on my January music goal. I bought the glue.

Yes, Lyndon, your fuzzy face will make it difficult for lip reading. "Lip reading" is a little misleading. It's now called "speech reading". The visual reading involves the whole area around the mouth and under the chin. Have Diane say, "Boo...boo...boo" slowly and watch very closely. You'll see that the area all around the lips for at least an inch is involved. If you watch under the chin you'll also see the throat move. Of course, after seeing her pucker up several times you'll want to kiss her. Please refrain until careful speech reading has ceased.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 am

inspiresuccess wrote: If you watch under the chin you'll also see the throat move. Of course, after seeing her pucker up several times you'll want to kiss her. Please refrain until careful speech reading has ceased.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:32 am

Hi, all
Getting the tooth extracted was actually the high point of the last two weeks. I asked for nitrous oxide. I'm normally a very good little girl,"so the dentist's office is my one dalliance into the dark world of drugs. When the dentist said he'd have to pull the tooth, I told him,"If I weren't getting nitrous I'd be really pissed right now." Once I got home, my feeling about the tooth was, "oh, well." I wish I could take other disappointments as well.

My writing is going okay. I took a note pad down to Panera's (restaurant) got a very large coffee, sat by a fireplace, and just wrote. I'd forgotten how much I used to prefer writing on paper to writing on a computer.

Bad stuff - my mother in law will go into assisted living. We're getting burned out caring for her - mostly my husband and the caregiver are getting burned out. The caregiver gave notice, and we can't do this without him. My mother in law is slowly getting used to the idea. The place is great. I've seen bad assisted living and good assisted living and this is a good place. One problem - the lady who runs it has a heavy Russian accent. Inspire, you've probably already guessed the problem. My mother in law is almost completely deaf. She's great at lip reading, (I forgot what you said they call it now.) She can't understand anything the woman is trying to say. Ah - best laid plans. There is an assistant who speaks without an accent, so she'll be able to talk to my MIL. And there's always the good old note pad. Anyway, I have a stomach ache from being anxious.

Oh, almost forgot. I got a password to get me into the site I was having trouble with. Thanks, Inspire. :D

Steps for today:
get the second and third steps done from the list I made up about a week ago.
write
go to the gym

Happy steppin, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi folks,

I'm fiddling with my system for reminders and keeping track. The long list is on Keep and Share's todo app, the daily dashboard is on 42 goals. The dashboard is by color code, red/high & yuck this list priority, orange/guest this list, and yellow, low. Added one for oral prevention and care.

Only one check per day for doing anything on the yuck list, no matter how many things that is. Today's check for calling my denturist for an adjustment.

Long worked on piece of journalism that is on the verge of getting published. Started out in September with first draft. Now must be around draft #7.

My editor had only a couple of questions. When I saw his email I took an immediate break, and then worked on it till bed time. Sent it back this morning.

Reading Ionesco's journal. He complains of weariness for 15 years that limited his output. He divined its source as a chronic doubt expressed as "what's the use?" He got into long spirals around the certainty of dying, so why bother.

He also wrote that when he overcame despair he felt new energy to create.

It's a subtle passive/active dynamic, and can be easily thrown off.

I think he confused how to take hold of the gift of being alive. For me, though certain of dying, I can build up the love, create things that inform or comfort or astonish, build meaning together with others. It is work to guard this stance, work I willingly undertake to protect my inner resolve.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 am

Lynx, On the verge of getting published is so cool! I got a warm fuzzy feeling reading the words.

I have my own yuck list, and taxes aren't even on it yet. Top of the yuck list is a letter to the retirement board (before Feb. 8th) explaining why they shouldn't cut my pension by $1300 per month.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Music goal. Found my tuner. I still have 5 days left in January to meet my goal.

I've been skimming everyone's posts and will check back later to read in detail. Best wishes to everyone. Keep on stepping.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:43 pm

hi folks,

Elaine, sad to hear about your challenges sliding into the messy next phase.

Just learned a new friend has to deal with a cancer issue. Begun reaching out, messy issue how best to be of support.

Just uploaded new pix for twitter and linked-in. Been meaning to for months. Took 16 minutes, even with looking for the edit icon. What was the delay all about? Dunno.

Copying off some quotes soon before running several errands and meeting a friend for happy hour and stories.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Elaine,

RE MIL. Hugs. My husband was in 2 different nursing homes the last year of his life. I know it's hard to turn the care of a loved one over to professionals, but sometimes it's what is needed. I know the transition will be hard. It will take some time for everyone to adjust. I'm sure the place you and Tom have chosen will be good. And if not, you can always choose to move her elsewhere. The first place my husband was in was okay, but the 2nd one was better. Hugs, hugs, hugs.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:11 am

Thanks, Inspire.

Lynx, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers, hugs and good wishes to you both.

Hi, Lyndon. I think you're doing great!

Jan 28th I got two items on my yuck list done today. (Thanks, Inspire, one of the items required getting into that site that I was having trouble with. "Contact us" finally gave me what I needed and from there it was all systems go.) Letter to the retirement board was not one of them. Maybe I'll just start it now.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:07 am

February stepping thread is all set up.

Lynx, I got the SES reminder. Thanks.

Elaine, don't worry about reminding me about SES. Lynx figured out a way to send me an automatic email reminder on the 1st and the 15th. I'll report in here each time to help me have accountability for that. I'm struggling to get it done, but I'm doing it. I'm having short bursts of mania and my doctor keeps rescheduling a month in advance so I haven't been able to talk to him about it. It doesn't matter. I don't want to increase meds. This is a new pattern and it's puzzling and scary. I don't know how to deal with it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories