February 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: 18

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi Lynx,

Thank you for your kind words.

I think you must have misread what I wrote. I DON'T have anyone to help -- no family, no friends, no neighbors. It's just me. That's what makes it so hard when I need help. There isn't any. Just me.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Lynx wrote: Carry on my friend one day at a time, one friendly assist at a time, one bureau-crazy improvement at a time.

Thank you. Your kind thoughts and words mean so much to me. I especially need them right now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi folks,

Not really to argue the point, Inspire, but I get how you presented your situation. I also own a perspective, too. The pharmacist who can quietly drops a few pill in your old bottles to tide you over a few days is offering a friendly assist. Friendly assists don't always come from people we call friends. The nurse who tracks down someone to sign off on the refill, etc. Another friendly assist.

Happy my words offered some help. Often when we feel at bottom the bottom has already been rounded and we are on the upswing again.
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Lynx wrote:Hi folks,

Not really to argue the point, Inspire, but I get how you presented your situation. I also own a perspective, too. The pharmacist who can quietly drops a few pill in your old bottles to tide you over a few days is offering a friendly assist. Friendly assists don't always come from people we call friends. The nurse who tracks down someone to sign off on the refill, etc. Another friendly assist.

Happy my words offered some help. Often when we feel at bottom the bottom has already been rounded and we are on the upswing again.
Lynx

I see what you're saying about the friendly assists. You're right. It's hard to see them when I'm depressed and scared. My doctor will be back on March 13th. He always has a friendly assist. It's been 3.5 months since I've seen him because he keeps rescheduling. I hope he keeps the 3/13 appointment. I need his help.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm

The glass half/empty - the glass half full issue. When do we rant about our troubles? And when do we consider what to be grateful for? Gratitude has always been difficult for me. I can see the worst in everything and everyone around me.

Barbara Sher is a proponent of the rant. She said somewhere, "Don't ever let me catch you counting your blessings." There's some truth in that. Pretending that everything is wonderful when, in fact, it's all coming apart feels awful. That's denial. And you have to face the bad stuff if you're going to change it.

Other side of the argument. Sometimes when everything is horrible, you have to notice the good stuff. At least I do. That's where I get the energy to make the changes I need to make. I can get really depressed, and when you're depressed, it's hard enough to get dressed in the morning, much less take some steps or try something new. Inspire and I started a "gratitude" thread, and I haven't posted on it in over a month. An anonymous friend (very grouchy) started writing down three things to be grateful for each day. She says that it helps her feel better, and that as she looks at what's good in her life she finds more and more things to be grateful for.

So the answer for me is - rant first, then be grateful.

I had a great time in my writers' group on Saturday. One of the ladies in the group whom I absolutely hated a year ago, I now really like.

Some problems came up with care for my mother in law. - glass half empty/ glass half full. We have a new place for her to live. They'll take good care of her, and Tom can come by a lot. Half empty side - I think grandson overestimated her ability to take care of herself. So the caregiver will get a rude surprise, and ask for more $$$. Not a problem for Tom and me, but a problem for the grand kids who are helping with $$$$. Also, I like to take good care of people who provide services like care for my mother in law. I don't want her to get a rude surprise. Also half empty side, my drive to see her will be two hours one way instead of forty minutes one way. And the driving is murder on my hip. It might be time to get a bionic hip.

This getting old stuff sucks. And I think some of you steppers will identify with this. We used to get a lot of kudos for doing some pretty wonderful things. And now it's more of a challenge for that to happen.

On a different note, the "l" on my computer sticks.

Steps for today - walk, and write, and clean.

I can't figure out anything fun to do today.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 am

I hate with blunt hacksaws
that tear my guts to shreds
. . . That the best things in life
. . . . . have calories and carbs.
. . . That I'd rather watch re-runs
. . . . . than kayak the Amazon.
. . . That I hurt and burp and fart
. . . . . just like old people.

I hate with stinging nettles,
fire ants, and black widow spiders
. . .That sex was champagne, Disneyland, Fantasia,
. . . . .and now it sort of pops.
. . . That no one gets my humor,
. . . . .not even me.
. . .That people are human
. . . . .and all that that entails.

I hate with torpedoes,
chlorine gas, and scud missiles
. . .That good humans suffer
. . . . . and die in ditches
. . . That evil wins
. . . . .with clapping and parades.
. . .That lies become truth;
. . . . . and truth becomes lies.

And I can't do anything about it.
And I'm not doing anything about it.

by me.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:55 am

Elaine Glimme wrote: . . . That I'd rather watch re-runs . . . . than kayak the Amazon . . . That no one gets my humor . . . . .not even me.

Those are my favorite lines. But that's because I get your sense of humor. :D

This is a very touching poem, Elaine. Thanks for sharing it. Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

EG's Poem

Postby Lynx » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks for the poetry, for strikeout you might try using a gray font.

Click on font color, pick any color, then replace the six-place color code with your choice ....

#d3d3d3

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks, Lynx. It worked.

I'm writing a little each day, which is good for me. And my hip is feeling better. So, fingers crossed,

Wish I had something more exciting to write about. I'm getting close to figuring out how ____________ kills or almost kills __________. It's either going to happen in a paint ball park or underwater, or somewhere else.

I hope my novel is more exciting than my life. Camp nanowrimo is in April. I'd like to finish the novel during April.

And if I can get my hip and the rest of me manageable, maybe I'll have something more exciting to write about.

Take a step if you can, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 am

My energy level is bottoming out. Now through about Thursday my main goal is get through the day, the simpler the task the better. Burned out a pot at a friend's house heating water for tea last week. Not the type of person to do that with, if anyone is, as she has a long memory of loss and refuses my efforts to re mediate (pay for the pot or replace it). That was my big alert to just how slow functioning my frontals are right now.

After I awake each morning I look forward to my day ahead. What to do with all this freaking time and no freaking energy. Finally arrived at finish getting my inbox down to zero. Its at 370, from a 1000 start about a month ago. Perfect activity. Put on some music, brew some tea, and click through the whole lot.

I have today, Tuesday and Thursday. Rounding up to 400, that's about 133 a day, if I can stay even with the inflow. I'm getting off lists as this mood is great for seeing what has been annoying me for a long time and needs removal.

Elaine, looking over you rant/grateful post, I like rant first then be grateful. When we learned co-counseling the sequence was "new and goods" first (a type of gratitude) and the diving into the messiness of living. Either direction may work, as long as we honor both.

Goodtime Jesus by Jame Tate

Jesus got up one day a little later than usual. He had been dreaming so deep that there was nothing left in his head. What was it? A nightmare, dead bodies walking all around him, eyes rolled back, skin falling off. But he wasn't afraid of that. It was a beautiful day. How 'bout some coffee? Don't mind if I do. Take a little ride on my donkey, I love that donkey. Hell, I love everybody.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:42 am

Felt extremely unhappy and sorry for myself this morning about having to live in an apartment instead of a house. I've lived here 3 years and no matter what I do, I hate living in an apartment and not a house. All my personal belongings are gone because I had to give them away to live in such a tiny space. It looks so impersonal.

But, after feeling thoroughly sorry for myself I decided that the one thing I could do to make it more personal (no matter how small it is and how little money I have) is to PAINT EVERYTHING IN COLORFUL WAYS. The first step is the guitar. Stop thinking the person who "loaned" it to me is going to ask for it back. I haven't had contact with her for two years. I have acrylic artist's paint. I'm getting it out today and sometime in the next 2 weeks I will paint it like an abstract painting.

I'm turning 62 on March 18th. My goal for the apartment is:

BE BOLD!
BE COLORFUL!
EXPRESS MY ARTIST SELF!

One of the things I loved doing when I lived in a house was to rescue beautiful wood furniture from garage sales, strip all the layers of paint and restore them to their natural beautiful wood. I always hated it that people would paint over lovely things.

The difference here is that I'm NOT painting over beautiful wood. I'd be painting over fake wood, the silver metal tubes of the TV table, etc. I'm not ruining anything by painting it and if I don't like it, I can do what those people did -- keep painting it over and over again.

I skimmed over your posts, Lynx and Elaine. I'll come back and read and respond later.

The main thing right now is I stopped feeling sorry for myself and I'm off to the Goodwill and Dollar Tree with $15 and the goal of brightening up my little kitchen and making it look like mine instead of some generic kitchen that could belong to anyone.

I have $15 in hand and a simple mission. Off I go! I can do this!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:56 am

I just realized that I followed a Barbara Sher recipe. Rant first, then take action.

There's a difference between a rant and what my friend Ronnie used to refer to as a "pity party". I had a lovely pity party this morning. Glad that's over with. I feel better now.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Struck out at the Goodwill. Salvation Army and Thrift Shop were closed because it's Sunday. Went to Dollar Tree. Nothing for the kitchen. HOWEVER...................................... I know I'm not supposed to buy books BUT........................................
I found something so fabulous I couldn't pass it up. For the feminist, political, fashion loving parts of me all rolled into one book:

Power Dressing: First ladies, women politicians and fashion. What a triple wammy! Very well written, great photos, in addition to the expected (Michelle Obama, Jackie Kennedy, etc) lots of women I don't know about such as former delegate of the national People's Congress, China; former finance minister, Nigeria; minister for equal opportunity, Italy; member of the European Parliament; former Minister of Justice, France; 1st lady of Syria; 1st lady of Cameron; the 5 wives of the president of South Africa.

And of course I got a Nestle's Crunch bar. And I got out of the apartment on a sunny warm day with blue sky and lovely puffy white clouds. Plus, I came up the with vision of what I want in the kitchen. It won't cost much and it will help cheer me up. And I bought a paper pad and a little container of finger paint.

Overall, a good day so far. It's 3:48 pm. Let's hope I don't plunge into depression or wind up into mania the rest of the day/evening, both of which are possible. One hour at a time and count my blessings.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:57 pm

You can get free house paint at the Household hazardous waste collection center in Martinez. (There's also one in Richmond, and one in Pittsburg - California). I don't know what their hours are. Chemicals that are still good, are put in a room and you can go through it and just pick up what you want. There's always a ton of paint. I'll get you the link, in case this interests you.

Here's the link http://www.centralsan.org/index.cfm?navid=301 Central San runs the household hazardous waste (HHW) facility. Yes, it's the sewage treatment plant. No, the HHW is not inside the plant.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:You can get free house paint at the Household hazardous waste collection center. The closest one to you is in Martinez. I don't know what their hours are. Chemicals that are still good, are put in a room and you can go through it and just pick up what you want. There's always a ton of paint. I'll get you the link, in case this interests you.

Ooh, that sounds fantastic, Elaine! I didn't know about that. Yes, I'd love to have the link. One of my hesitations about painting the furniture was the cost of paint.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories