February 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: February 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

paint

Postby Lynx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Free stuff,

I'm getting a bit of specialized around "free" thinking.

Just about free anything: I use freecycle. Started in Tucson, AZ* and now everywhere. It's localized as an online egroup. You join, read the simple rules, watch a day to see how other people post, and then post.

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 5,298 groups with 9,089,588 members around the world, and next door to you. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns and neighborhoods. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on 'Browse Groups' above the search box. Have fun!

Link for SF CA: https://groups.freecycle.org/group/mari ... /posts/all

There's also Craigslist "for sale—free" listings. Here's the link for SFCA searching for "free paint":

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc ... free+paint

Happy colorizing,
Lynx

* On May 1st, 2003, Deron Beal sent out the first e-mail announcing The Freecycle Network™ to about 30 or 40 friends and a handful of nonprofits in Tucson, Arizona.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm

I finally got a free sewing machine from freecycle. I haven't set it up yet but I'm planning on going to thrift stores for nice old tablecloths to cut down to size for my little folding table. I haven't used a sewing machine for 20 years but this one has the instruction booklet and all I need to learn is how to do a straight stitch. There might be tea towels at thrifts shops, too.

Thanks for reminding me about craigslist, Lynx. I forgot they have a free section as well.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:02 pm

For a long time I tried to do something to make this apartment livable. Then I gave up and focused on other things -- designing, music, getting a basic winter wardrobe, dealing with my hearing loss, etc. I'm still focused on those things, but I need to get back to putting at least a little time into doing something about my living space.

Thrift stores, garage sales, online stuff like freecycle and craigslist -- all take time and energy. Now that I've laid the groundwork in other areas (listed above) I hope I can get back to doing something about the apartment.

Any other free, cheap ideas you guys can come up with -- I'm open. Thanks for your support and ideas so far. I really appreciate it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:04 am

Happy to help, Inspire.

I had a goal to get from ~400 inbox messages down to 270 tonight. I just checked, down to 104!

Pausing for the evening. But for sure Tuesday when I have time again should see a break below 100.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Lynx, impressive. I'm keeping mine under 200, but just barely.

Inspire, there are also garage sales for almost free fabric, Also maybe paint brushes and such.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 pm

My steppin' goals for the next month. Fix up my back yard and keep writing. Breaking it up into smaller steps- fifteen minutes of writing is a step. and my first gardening steps are find the last of the dog poop and cut down the weeds. After that comes the fun part.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks Elaine for opening March for us.

Per usual, the day I planned and the day I'm living are in a dance routine.

Did managed to get to Inbox Zero!

Now trying to change my website (which I haven't bothered with in years, can't get in to the FTP). Time to call support.

Want to add my last five of 10 permanent records to perma.cc—which is refusing to work.

Speaking of not working right, I might go to a community meeting about traffic this afternoon.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 28

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Lynx wrote:Did managed to get to Inbox Zero! Lynx

Wow. Now that's impressive. Maybe it will motivate me to take on the challenge of my inbox. I'm too depressed to do it now. When I'm depressed, my concentration sucks. When I can't concentrate, I end up deleting stuff I shouldn't and I've never figured out how to retrieve things in ATT. I used to know how to do it when I had AOL.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Inspire, Inbox Zero doesn't mean I deleted 1000 msgs over the past few weeks. Many were shuttled to other folders.

At the turn of the year, I created a folder for each month. Anything that comes up for April, say, I file in that month. Really helps track how my mind works ... what was that exhibit in April my friend sent word about ... look in the April folder.

I came across many msgs with longish things to read or study. I filed them in my March folder. If I don't get to them in March, I'll push out to April.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 28

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Lynx wrote:Inspire, Inbox Zero doesn't mean I deleted 1000 msgs over the past few weeks. Many were shuttled to other folders.

At the turn of the year, I created a folder for each month. Anything that comes up for April, say, I file in that month. Really helps track how my mind works ... what was that exhibit in April my friend sent word about ... look in the April folder.

I came across many msgs with longish things to read or study. I filed them in my March folder. If I don't get to them in March, I'll push out to April.

Lynx

Interesting idea. I have to look at that when I'm less depressed.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Elaine, new March Gratitude thread set up.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories