March 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

March 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:17 pm

The Chinese word for crisis is written with two characters. The first stands for danger. and the second for opportunity.

Thanks for the quote, Inspire.

If you're new to the Boards, please feel free to join us here. We'd love to support you in moving, step by step, towards your goals and dreams. You can set daily, weekly, monthly goals -- whatever works best for you. Break them down into baby steps and we'll hold you accountable, cheer you on, and celebrate your successes, one day at a time.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: March 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks for setting this up, Elaine. How about transferring your March goals from the end of February so we can support you in them here?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 am

Okay, Inspire Success, here are my goals:

My steppin' goals for the next month. Fix up my back yard and keep writing. Breaking it up into smaller steps- fifteen minutes of writing is a step. and my first gardening steps are find the last of the dog poop and cut down the weeds. After that comes the fun part.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 pm

SES report. I'm starting to get in the habit of writing it daily so that's good. As far as what's getting written, that's not good. A huge amount of instability, mostly very depressed with occasional blips of mania. So sick of being sick. Physically, the pain in my hips is less so that's heading in the right direction.

As far as goals this month -- I don't have any. It's pretty much one day, sometimes one hour, at a time.

Today is Ash Wednesday. I made it to mass. I tried a different church that has hearing assisted devices. I was in tears by the end of mass because it didn't help. They have a different type that I'm going to try next time. I'm determined to not be shut out of Lent because of hearing loss. Tonight is the HLAA meeting. The president has met with me privately to help me, which I really appreciate.

Unfortunately, the iPhone I got for free from AAA is too old a version to get the app for the CC. They offered me an Android instead but I don't know if that one will be able to have the CC. The CC would allow me to READ what people are saying as they are saying it. It's like subtitles for a movie. Without it, I can't use the iPhone for phone calls. I learned to text to one friend but haven't figured out how to start a text to someone else. At least I'm texting one person. That's a start.

Sigh. Wish I were doing better. The one teeny-tiny step that I got done was to glue the bridge on the guitar. It's been on my to do list for 2 years now. Such a small thing, but it's done.

I like setting goals at the beginning of each month so I'm going to give it some thought and see if I can find something really simple that I could accomplish this month.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Inspire, given what you're up against, the steps you took were great. Also, a step is a step, even if it didn't work the way you wanted it to. You still learned something, so it counts.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1 11:59

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 am

Just under the clock!

Gradually oh so slowly my biorhythms reclimb. Patience! I see my greatest challenge when these lows return is keeping track. Today left my daytimer at a friend's. Could pick it up tomorrow, but I'll be there again Friday. Making a separate trip just for that would disrupt the rhythm of my day. Still, I feel off-balance w/o it.

Of course, someone want's to set something up. I happened to tell him that Monday and Tuesday were free, which came in the thread under his message. That helps.

Inspire, I support what Elaine offered, a step counts as a step, not the outcome.

Tomorrow: I have a conference call @ 11, then trip to library for more books, then bridge for 5 hours (!) with a partner. I found I guess I was waiting for partner to arrive because the prospects of having one has fired up my studies. This could be a principle as when I have a "reader" for a bit of writing it motivates me to get to it.

Have held my cards pretty close to my chest about pitching to my editors new journalistic pieces because of my low energy. I can barely get through a routine day without spoiling something (burnt pot) or forgetting something (day timer) or missing an event (as I did on Saturday), or sleeping 8 hours and still awakening less than fully refreshed (daily).

Best to tip toe for another couple of days and then step out.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:21 am

There are three Oregon junkos, (birds - about the size of a sparrow with very black heads and necks), who scope out the railing outside my window to see if I've left any crushed nuts. They don't share well. No matter how far apart I spread out the nuts, only one eats at a time. And they're pigs! If I just put out a whole pile of nuts, the first one would pop from over eating.

I identify. I click on the boards and scope out the threads to see if anyone has posted. Then I read all the goodies you've all left for me.

But I digress.

I had some good days both gardening and writing. The writing is at that halting - I sort of know what I'm doing but I don't know how to to it - stage. The gardening is hip-dependent. At the moment, I'm down to minimal pain. Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's because I'm not doing the things that irritate it. This could change with the next rain or with my next trip to the ranch.

Lynx, Inspire, and Lyndon, I'm wishing you happy thoughts on your projects.

Mar 3rd. More progress. Not as much as I'd like, but . . .
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Steppers,

Made an interesting discovery today about those first 180 minutes—namely—It's a stroll, not a sprint. All my life I felt I needed to pack in as much advance on my work as I could (because after my time I needed to be off to my day's activities). But today, I saw myself just float through the time by staying on task and doing one thing after the last.

And it felt great. More like puttering than "work."

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 4

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Lynx wrote:... it felt great. More like puttering than "work." Lynx

Sounds nice. Good for you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 pm

So I started the day with a stopped up toilet. Tried to fix it myself. Meanwhile, I left a cardboard box that my weed-eater came in by the front door. So I tripped over it and pulled something in the back of my knee. So now I'm limping badly, and I'm hoping this doesn't mean a trip to the doctor or urgent care center.

Meanwhile, I bought a snake (plumbing tool, not the kind of snake that eats mice) and tried to snake out the toilet No luck. Gave up and called a plumber who said it's not the toilet it's the main sewer line. Couldn't find the cleanout. He found something under the house and now he's hammering under the house making scary noises.

All in all not a good day. My writers group met today, but was okay, not fantastic like the last time.

Plumber says he can't get to the clog from under the house He has to go through the toilet. ????? It's seventy year old pipes so????

Meanwhile Aleve seems to be making my pulled whatever feel better.

All in all yuck. Hope today ends okay. The plumber charges $300 per hour. Given that I need plumbing, I didn't feel like arguing. He says he can fix it.

Now he's making scary noises in the bathroom.

I'll clean the floors tomorrow.

He's putting his stuff back into the truck. Hope that means everything is okay.

My neighbor had roots growing in the main sewer line to the house, and had to bay something like $7000. The had to redo the whole sewer line.

I'm only hearing some small clicks coming from the bathroom. I should go see what he's doing, but I'm scared to look.

To be continued.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:20 pm

The day of the Plumber - Part II.

More scary noises coming from the bathroom. I didn't have the courage to look. Still more noises.
I finally went into the bathroom to see what was happening. (That's a really weird sentence if taken out of context.) The plumber was putting the toilet back together, and cleaning up the floor.

Okay. All's well that ends well.

Elaine signing off.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 am

Wow, Elaine, $300 per hour for a plumber (!), scary noises, tripping over boxes ... yuck indeed & a day to do-over. Sadly, toilets & life don't flow like that.

Be tough.

I'm puttering again, this is my warm up. My bio-rhythms are again swinging up, and I can feel the surge. When they are in the valley the call is giddy up, now a quickening of the pace and the call is whoa Nelly.

Playing more with the feeling of tinkering or puttering while getting serious stuff done: confirming some dates to meet or talk with people, reading articles left too long in the pile, getting to my editor about my next article idea, prepping for a meeting later this week, taxes (yuck).

What makes puttering different than "getting to" something.

P: I feel free to stay with a activity until I lose interest and then switch off [directed by inner 3 year old]
Gt: I "must" stick to this until I reach my goal (time, say 20 minutes, or product, say finish this section). [directed by inner drill sergeant & test proctor]

P: Order doesn't matter, what carries my interest does.
Gt: First things first & either warm up with something easy then take on the harder task or the reverse.

P: getting through something brings sadness as now I have to find something new to play with.
Gt: Getting finished brings elation as now the Drill Sergeant will release me.

Just in the writing of this I wandered into the Google search to see if there's a blog on the virtues of puttering. Found lots of articles about golf. Then tried tinkering, and found a company called sleepy jones that sells pajama wear that you can wear all day while going about your creative activites. This is interesting because I've read that in China wealthier people wear pjs in public to show they can afford separate clothes to sleep in (poor folk apparently don't spend $ on pjs.) No reference in the company origin myths about this at all.

The rains have relented for a moment & the sun is streaming. I putter along,

To the page,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Elaine, I hope it's a better day today. When I was a kid I spent my summers on a lake where we only had an outhouse.

I don't recommend it. :D

Lynx, I'm glad you're learning puttering. I'm a master putterer. Very enjoyable. One of my favorite Garfield cartoons taped on my wall above my computer shows him in the first frame with his head on his paw thinking, "No matter how little I do..." next frame he's thinking, last frame he thinks "I always feel I could do less". I miss having cats so much. They taught me how enjoyable doing nothing is.

Me. Painting furniture in this apartment? Who am I kidding? It's a one-bedroom space. Where would I paint to avoid the fumes? Plus, going to buy the paint and then doing the work while I'm seriously depressed? Not going to happen.

New plan. Paint small things - a table top water fountain (10 inches tall) two small sculpture type things (5 inches tall).

Even the guitar is too overwhelming to paint. Too big. Slick surface might need liquid sandpaper for the paint to stick. Trip to the store to do this. Making a decision on what to use. Using the sandpaper only on the front of the guitar but being careful to keep the paint off the rest of the guitar. Way too much to handle being depressed.

First step in "coloring" the living room:

1. Find paint
2. Find paint brushes
3. Find rags for cleaning

Elaine, the gratitude only lasted one day. Next day crying, feeling hopeless. 90% of the time I'm seriously depressed. Occasionally, a good day or a manic day.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi steppers,

Inspire, found the strip: http://slideplayer.com/slide/3525727/

What's new for me is mashing up puttering with actual things I want to see finished and unleashed upon others. Until today I thought of puttering as picking up socks, organizing stack of papers, and so on.

When puttering, 1 appointment can ruin a day. This was from Coleman Barks ("translated" Rumi poems) when talking to someone coming to interview him. It's a bit of a pushaway of the interviewer (this was the appt Barks had that ruined his day).

I keep it handy because if there's an option to have two appts on separate days or to put them both on the same day & leave the second day free, I vote to put the both on the same day.

Inspire, what a tremendous struggle you have right now. 90% Overwhelming. I cheer on that determined 10%.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Begun to think about taxes. I first have to work out my partnership taxes. I always look at the first page of the instruction in the "new this year" section. So far, so good. Do la do ... see this

Due date for Form 1065. For tax years beginning after 2015, the due date for a domestic partnership to file its Form 1065 has changed to the 15th day of the 3rd month following the date its tax year ended.

This is new, this means it's due March 15. Wait, today is the 6th. I have 9 days! Breathe, I have 9 days. Three forms, a lot of boxes stay the same year by year.

Was toying around with an idea of bargaining one minute of tax work for 2 minutes of watching bridge videos. My next video is 100 minutes. So, 50 minutes of work brings 100 minutes of viewing.

Now I will have to reverse that until I'm done: 50 minutes of work brings 25 minutes of viewing. Can't watch the video until after I put in the time.

To the form,
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories