March 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: March 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 am

Inspire Success, I put the Einstein quote in the quotes thread.

There's interesting info at the bottom of the Board Index.

Lyndon, Good luck on your written test. Saturday is day after tomorrow. I envy you your knowledge of computers. To me they're a scary force of nature/man and they are out to get me. Is that the last hurdle, or is there still another interview? Also, good luck starting a new job if/when you get it.

I'm really excited about Nanowrimo, probably unrealistically excited. I've never been this excited about it before. I have visions of churning out tons of award-winning writing. Reality is never a match for my imagination, but I still always write more than I would have written otherwise.

April is Camp Nanowrimo. If anyone reading this is interested, this is the one where you can choose how much or how little you plan to write. Also you can choose to measure it by words written, time spent writing, and almost any other way you want to express your goal. Also, you can have a "cabin" if you want, which means you get Internet friends about ten (I think 19 is the most in a cabin. I've always had eight including myself.) and you can write to them about what you're doing.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:45 am

Howdy,

Thanks Elaine and Inspire for tracking back on the journalism stuff. It's a fun fit. Reviewed a play tonight, not so good (missed lines & sound cues). Oh well. One tomorrow I'm really looking forward to, and a third on Saturday.

Lyndon, you're doing everything by the briefing book, so if luck lands best where's there is preparation, it should land on you.

Myself, thinking about Camp NanoDRAFTmo this time, for the first time. I got word that my essay didn't get to the Long List. So, it is my own to do as I want again as I am taking it off the embargo list.

There's more, much more to write, because I had to take some maybes out to get to wordcount. These ideas are rattling in me 'ed, so Camp N. might be just the thing to do.

I'm also feeling over-stressed with activities so maybe I need to pass ... so what's new, right?
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 am

An older friend is thinking of joining Camp Nanowrimo with a project of trying to do design and make 20 handmade greeting cards (and some with art buddies at a local kitchen table) -- most patriotic-themed to go to people at the VA hospital next Veteran's Day.

At work, there is another hurdle. Written test counts of 40% and so the interview is the Big Thing.
They haven't yet filled a position in the office for someone who left in late December, so this is not a "hold your breath" situation.

Diane wants to come along for the ride -- and we'll come back slowly and zig-zaggedly by way of dinner and a library or two. Or more.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:05 am

@ Lyndon, Thanks for mentioning your friend.

I was hangin' with a new friend last night and she said her dilemma now is "to politic or not to politic?" Yes, that is our question. Rilke spent the years of WW I in Munich on the "not understanding," and thus not politic side. He spent his creative energies holding firm to his sense of social order and imagining himself into the lives of the sufferers.

And when you realize that their activities are shabby, that their vocations are petrified and no longer connected with life, why not then continue to look upon it all as a child would, as if you were looking at something unfamiliar, out of the depths of your own solitude, which is itself work and status and vocation? Why should you want to give up a child’s wise not-understanding in exchange for a defensiveness and scorn, since not-understanding is, after all, a way of being alone, whereas defensiveness and scorn are participation in precisely what, by these means, you want to separate yourself from.
~ Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Centuries before, John Milton took pen to hold the faith for freedom of speech (expression, creativity). Milton leaned into the to politic choice.

For what style can be august and magnificent enough, what man has parts sufficient to undertake so great a task? Preface, A Defence Of The People Of England, In Answer To Salmasius’s Defence Of The King.

John Steinbeck wrote as his politic, declining invitations to speak or donate money to protect his time. His Moon is Down was intentionally propaganda and because a literal underground best seller in Norway and France during WW II.

By ten-thirty the brass band of the invader was playing beautiful and sentimental music in the town square while the townsmen, their mouths a little open and their eyes astonished, stood about listening to the music and staring at the gray-hemeted men who carried sub-machine guns in their arms.

I have no doubt that one of the major parties is toxic to the wellbeing of the people of this nation. It's the other major party I may address. My way forward is also to bring my words to the millions marching around the world FOR decency and tolerance.

I do this, as always when I politic, to sleep with a clear conscience of my own at night.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Lynx, I agree that one of our parties is toxic. It's a theme in my writing.

I have a lot of trouble talking about politics. Even if I'm talking to someone I agree with, I get really upset. so upset that I want to swear and scream. When talking about politics, I have a lot of trouble keeping my anger issues under control, which usually means I don't say anything and then yell and scream and feel really wretched when I'm by myself. it's why I don't post on the politics thread. A good thing happened a few days ago. I was able to have a conversation about politics without it tearing my guts apart. I'm hoping this means that I'll be able to do it again. Because I agree with you. We have freedom of speech right now. If we don't use it, we might not have it for much longer.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Good test. 105 people applied, but I was expecting at least 50-100. However it is for 4 openings rather than 1. Did at least up to O.K. on multiple-choice questions-- and a third of the score was essay questions. Felt I was way above average on that. To be continued, -- patiently.

Weekend was far more sleeepzzz than intended. But awake and doing well at work, and hoping to write and write tonight.

Politics has been rather terrifying for me after years of being a teenager during the Vietnam war. Traditional "trying to protect you" resistance recommends running away, or freezing and not making any sudden movements and maybe the big scary thing won't notice me. Uphill struggle doing something else, but necessary. Grumble.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

All praise for Never Miss a Day

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi folks,

Lyndon, seems you have a better than half a chance. We are all rooting for you.

Joined Camp NaNoWriMo (my name is National Novel Drafting Month - Nanodramo). My Camp Cabin seems to be a random one: Aunt Lisa's Writing Retreat. whatever.

I'm intrigued by the "never miss a day" Seinfeld technique. I've continued with my tax forms momentum and putting together a package that I have up to 4/15/18 (a year) to file to get a rebate. Today I spent maybe 10 minutes locating my past years' return and putting a link to in on my spreadsheet. Tomorrow I'll print it out.

The psychology of this everyday thing :: I skirt the feeling of "I'm not getting to X." Or "I need to get back to X." If I do something every day that feeling stays asleep. Yesterday I signed my forms. 2 minutes. Looked over, snoozing like a kitten.

One of the charms of Camp N is the clear START and STOP (April 1 and April 30). So, it's not like the rest of my life.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 am

Lynx, I tried to message you on Nanowrimo, and your name didn't show up. There's a NaNoDrewMo. That's the closest I could come.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories