March 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: March 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:30 am

To paraphrase Horton the elephant "A step is a step, no matter how small."

Yay puttering.

I didn't get my game up to "Turn Zero", for my birthday -- but closer.

Got what may well be a hot job lead. One of the caustic tanker truck drivers at work said "Hey Lyndon! Did you see this job?" (Note: He's actually rather cheerful. It's the truck contents that are caustic.)
The job had the kryptonite phrase "help desk" which I recoiled from.

But next day his boss printed out a copy and left it on my desk. So I read more carefully, and there is a lot about the job that I could do well that would be fun. So applied.

Behind in I COULD DO ANYTHING IF I ONLY KNEW WHAT IT WAS, but catching up.

I didn't catch up on the weekend between chores, nap, and people being interesting at me during my birthday party.

To be continued. More frequently I hope.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:34 am

Speaking of libraries...

One of the few online friends I met in person (in 2000) works in Australia, and I follow their facebook pages and cute kid update. Thomas is 28 months old now
His most recent quote was:
"Thomas will take the keys and drive to the library and get *so many* books!"

Father added "(It seems like only a couple of months ago I was excited about four word sentences!)"
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi Steppers,

Lyndon, applying always feels right if you think you can handle the bulk of a job/gig. May your interview and other research bring further clarity.

Also, keep contributing, even if it's a brief: hello everyone ... my steps today/week/month/ are ...

Today, awoke with something of a "go at 'em" energy, so getting to my I R S stuff, but with a slight puttering attitude and also using the first, second, third iteration idea. So, today is filling in the boilerplate for some of the forms. Realized that I could copy & paste much of it from last year's returns. Literally, open up both pdfs, copy from 2015 return, paste into 2016 return.

So my question arose how does it score when I find a faster way to do something? If I have 20 minutes set aside, can I call time sooner?

The other thing I understood is now that I have stepped into this work, I need to follow the Seinfield method of "don't miss a day." With today as 1, I'm good. I'll keep count here.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 am

Here again.

Days missed re: taxes: Still ∅.

Also realized I might want to shift the order of getting to email. Rather than look at the inbox first, I would be better to send out anything on my mind or heart FIRST, then get to the inbox.

To the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am

Hi, everyone,

Good stuff happening in your posts. Lyndon, good luck. Lynx, I like puttering. I was going to say especially if it's productive, but it always is productive, even if we don't see it at first.

Lynx, I'm jealous of your organization. Taxes didn't used to be terrifying until I retired. Now they're awful. I have a bulletin board so full of stuff, that there's no free space anywhere on it. Tom's best friend was a tax consultant and used to do our taxes. He was good. And last year he died. And yes I'm sorrier about losing a good friend than about losing a tax consultant, but it does leave a hole. H & R Bloch is my usual stand by. There was one amazing woman there who kept me from having a stroke when IRS wanted money we didn't owe. She doesn't work there anymore.

The next to last time they did our taxes, the woman who did our taxes said she subtracted out the part of the pension that we didn't pay taxes on, but she hadn't.

As I write this I am noticing a lot of glass-half-full things. That Tom and John renewed a friendship. That woman at H&R Bloch. There are great people in the world.

My writing is dripping along slowly. I can't figure out how to kill my characters. There's something I'm missing.

I'm going to try to go the gym each day for the next three days. Hopefully to get my energy level up.

I'll walk before I write, so . . . to the sidewalk, then to the page.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 am

Elaine Glimme wrote: I can't figure out how to kill my characters. There's something I'm missing.
:lol:

You see that as something lacking in you as a wrter. Maybe the problem isn't you as a writer. Maybe the problem is you're too nice a person to kill people!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10 killing them softly

Postby Lynx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:00 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, Inspire might be onto you. Searched Nanowrimo for Killing Characters and, man, were there a number of threads. Some even having comments as recent as last week. Here's one, after that :search:

Me. Borrowed a DVD, Withnail and I (1969) that someone thot was really funny. I could see the jokes (sight gags, prat falls, odd colors, gay jokes) coming, and going. No LoL laughing = not funny to me. I'm in need of a polite thing to say when I return it. Any Dear Abby hints of help here?

Meanwhile, the two long songs we listened to were great and George Harrison got a credit as an executive producer.

To recover, I'll listen to some Michael McIntyre.

Laughs to you all,

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:46 am

HI, Everyone,

Lynx, sometimes things are only funny the first time you see/hear them. You could say thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Me - I feel like I'm out of words and out of energy. Hopefully the energy will pick up if I start moving. I'm going to try some gardening. Maybe that will spur on the writing. I like the nano site, and a looked for some ideas about killing people, but so far nothing is hitting that sweet spot. I'm not all that nice. Usually I have no trouble getting into the head of my villain.

To the weeds, and the seeds and heinous bad deeds.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:12 pm

EG: Out of energy and out of words.

Sounds like the mid-course slump. As Churchill quipped, when going through hell, keep going.

Me: Days skipped on taxes: still ∅. Did the final data compile for partnership taxes today. Leaving off filling in the forms and proofing for tomorrow.

I've been playing around a lot with the character set. Seems to me that Mac would use any character in a file name. Trying it and so far it working and helps to get my active files to my attention faster.

Having a bit of a tizzy-hizzy round with Yahoo, however. They are not allowing me to import my email anymore from my business domain (tech person said because of "security." Yeah, where were they when O*ama came knocking, huh? Hello N * A.)

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Lynx, I''m jealous. I looked at my tax stuff and ran the other direction. Of course eventually I have to do the taxes. It's just that i have three new pieces of paper plus the solar. Plus whatever Tom did . Maybe I'll be a good kid and start the tax stuff tonight.

Re writing - I wish my brain would just explode with ideas and one of them would be the perfect idea. Of course the answer is that I do have to keep going, and write the bad stuff that gives me the idea for the good stuff. Talk about a leap of faith!

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi y'all,

That first IRS thing — Done! Zero days skipped. Printed, signed, envelope readied. Will review one last time then seal & "to the mailbox."

Elaine, the prompt to action was the move up to an earlier due date for form 1065 partnership returns (Mar 15). So don't feel jealous, blame the Congress/IRS.

Next up: I'm interested in doing an article of a shuttle service founded by a woman's be- (quest or hest? ...) bequest. How much did she leave? What was her vision? How is it being administered? It just happens that the service has its 20th anniversary this year, which is very cool, too. It also happens that I qualify for using it, which will be part of the research. Something interesting to do is a ride-along.

I'm a beginner at journalism so a lot of this I have to learn (where's her will filled?, for example). After a day or so breather, I'll take that up in earnest. I like keeping on task without missing a day, once I've officially begun. A breather keeps me from making myself feel always under pressure. Sometimes the work of the day is franticness, looking for something missing, etc.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 am

Journalism seems like a good fit for you, Lynx. At least it does to me on the other side of computerland.

Me - I think the reason I can't write the kill scene is that there's something basically wrong and I'm not seeing it yet. I don't know this. It's like writing about lent without Easter. It's like I'm missing some very big point. I'm going to start Camp Nanowrimo early, and try to write 1667 words each day for the rest of March. Just for my own satisfaction.

More hip/back problems. Unhappy face. :cry:

There's a Gilmore Girls sequel out on Netflix where Rory just sits down and three chapters pour out of her within a couple of weeks. Of course that's fiction, but it's not fair.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 am

If this was "Weekly Stepping" I'd be close to on track.

Got invitation for written test for the tech job -- Saturday, March 25th. This is good as I don't need to take time off work.
Cramming on parts I am less experienced in -- such as today's hardware, and computer networking.
Fortunately I have some computers to disembowel and Frankenstein (or Rube Goldberg) together. One dead (won't start up), two just old slow. One I got from Goodwill -- without a hard drive.
I hadn't read the description carefully, and still got a good price and a Learning Opportunity.

Looking forward to Camp Nanowrimo. Last one was good for me. Even on a rough, tiring or just distracted week, I usually do at least a couple thousand words, and hope to kick it up.
Signed up again, as TypingPractice.

Plan to email gaming buddies from yesterday with a "Turn Zero" start date of April 1st, and a target of Turn One on Mayday! Mayday! That should serve as accountability motivators.

At work managed to update a vintage 2002 spreadsheet. Update = 95% rewrite.

Elaine -- on killing characters. This isn't what you're looking for, but Bruce Cockburn's "Anything Can Happen" has a variety of methods

"You could have gone off the Bloor Street viaduct
I could have been run down in the street
You could have got botulism anytime
I could have gone overboard into the sea

Anything can happen
To put out the light,
Is it any wonder
I don't want to say goodnight?"

And more!

His website has a home page quote ""Part of the job of being human is just to try to spread light, at whatever level you can do it. "

To be continued.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:49 am

Well, you're right, Inspire.

That's what's wrong with the kill scene. As I'm writing it now, there's no redemption, no good coming out in the end.

The world is not all terrible. The really horrible killers - lethal viruses and animals that absolutely kill everything around them - bloom and go extinct after they eradicate all their prey. There's kindness and love along with killing and eating. There's a natural order. Death is part of it, and a necessary part, but spring comes after winter, the old die, and the young are born and live and take their place and life and love go on. That's what's missing.

Lyndon wrote "Part of the job of being human is just to try to spread light, at whatever level you can do it." That's what's missing.

It's also what's missing from my life. I don't spread enough light.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 am

Elaine Glimme wrote: I don't spread enough light.
I don't know about the rest of your life, but you sure do spread a lot of light here on the boards. I've benefited many a time from the light shining from you. That's one of the things I'm grateful for.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories