March 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: March 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

I'll come back and read up on what everyone is writing. Right now, me. SES. I don't know why it's so hard for me to write one sentence a day on the darn thing. I'm writing 3-6 pages a day whining in my journal, but when it comes to SES...I don't write. It's hard to back track even a few days to get caught up. And then I tell myself to go read my journal to see what was going on and I think, "Are you s***ting me? Reread 6 pages to get a one sentence overview"? Naw. Don't think so.

Most days there is something written in the SES but then I forget to write the most important thing for that day.

The best I can say about my life right now is...hanging in there.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:17 am

Elaine, I was having a lot of fun reading Kansas until somebody was about to be kidnapped and I had to immediately stop reading for fear of triggering PTSD. I don't know what happened after that so the following is not a suggestion. It's just a question because I don't know what's going on.

You seem absolutely sure this character has to be DEAD. No other options. Is that true? Are there any other ways to deal with this person?

I know sometimes we THINK somebody should be dead but then in the end, death isn't really what we want for them.

Again, I don't know what's going on so feel free to totally ignore the wanderings of my brain at this point. Considering the shape my brain is in these days, it's probably a great idea to ignore anything that comes out of it. Could be total dribble and I'm not even aware of it. Drip, drip, drip...
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:Journalism seems like a good fit for you, Lynx. At least it does to me on the other side of computerland.

Elaine, I remember you and I coming up with that observation about a year ago. I think Lynx's response was it was one of many things he wanted to do.

I still think it's a good fit!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 am

Lyndon, when I read your posts they read like Greek, translated into French, translated into Latvian, translated into English. I only speak English! But it sounds like you're making progress on things, getting some help from the Universe, and having a teeny tiny bit of fun along the way.

These are the things I totally understand:
Lyndon wrote: ""Part of the job of being human is just to try to spread light, at whatever level you can do it. " To be continued.

About spreading light. Because I spend so much of my life dealing with depression and being home alone isolated from people, I assume I don't spread any light. Every once in a while I realize I do (or at least other people think I do).

I offered to help someone recently (via email) and she used the phrase "so like you" in response to my offer of help. Comments like that remind me that other people see me as someone who spreads light even though I live my life in darkness. Thanks for the quote, Lyndon.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 13

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am

Lynx wrote:
That first IRS thing — Done! Zero days skipped. Printed, signed, envelope readied. Will review one last time then seal & "to the mailbox."

Congrats! Nice thing to check off a list.

Lynx wrote:
Next up: I'm interested in doing an article of a shuttle service founded by a woman's be- (quest or hest? ...) bequest. How much did she leave? What was her vision? How is it being administered? It just happens that the service has its 20th anniversary this year, which is very cool, too. It also happens that I qualify for using it, which will be part of the research. Something interesting to do is a ride-along.

Sounds really interesting. Keep us posted.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi, Inspire,
You do spread light on the Internet, so thanks for that. And I know it's hard to spread light when you feel depressed (this I know from personal experience.)

Re Searching for Kansas. The part where someone get killed (or almost gets killed) comes quite a bit after what I have posted here. In fact it hasn't been written yet. That's why all the complaining. About what I have posted, I wanted to build some suspense, so there's a little bit of drama and tension in what I posted (I hope) but nothing really awful. (But there is more tension after the assault.) I hope that helps. I don't want to give everything away.

As for killing someone, I'm still working on that part. I'm not sure how it's going to play out. Murder is dark, and there's no way around that, but I need to somehow infuse something promising and hopeful into that part. At least now I see what's wrong. How to fix it - that's another question.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 am

My goals for the rest of March.

Write 1667 words per day. not 1667 but a lot - 15197 by 3/30

make DR. appt. done

fill out tax assessor form :cry:

fill out form for bank (whatever!) done

fix bookshelf

fix refrigerator shelf (added 3/21) done

Happy steppin'
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 am, edited 14 times in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Howdy,

Still chuggin along, Elaine, that the main thing, chug along.

Myself, feeling some motivation to tackle difficult projects now that it's been a couple of months since my last crunch. Part of this is there's been a positive development in the endless siding saga at my dear condo, and if it works out, we actually may see the work done. Cautiously ready for this to land.

Sumthin has shifted, and several of the books I was eager to read I can't stay interested in right now. One is Don Quixote by Kathy Acker and the other is a Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Ya never know.

Next limited goals, finish my 1040 and send it in. Began it today, so now will turn on Seinfeld's "never miss a day" idea until done.

Also found that once I began the "dread" state evaporated and a "well, it's not too painful yet, so let's continue" state took command. Maybe there's a theme song here...

Researching now for my next article, so it's

to the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am

Hi, Lynx,

Also found that once I began the "dread" state evaporated and a "well, it's not too painful yet, so let's continue" state took command. Maybe there's a theme song here...

So very true. The anticipation of anything - a shot , a chore, unhappy news - is usually much worse than the actual event. Not always true, but probably 95% of the time. So this leads me to the conclusion which I've always known, but sometimes I have to be reminded: The whole point of ranting, is to get the anticipating done, laugh about it, and then get to the chore which is probably not that big a deal. When ranting, it is important not to blow the whole thing so out of proportion that the actual chore or whatever looks impossible, and I end up stuck in the rant. I used to be good at getting stuff done. At work (when I worked in the lab) I could do four things at the same time - running an analysis machine, checking on it, while doing some paperwork, and injecting samples into another machine, and eating a sandwich (you're not supposed to eat in a lab.) Now I spend a lot of time complaining about a chore before I finally just get it done and think 'that was no big deal.'

Anyone reading this, if you haven't clicked on the link in Lynx's last post, do it. It's good.

Me -
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

20 Is that All there is

Postby Lynx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Elaine, I think you have a good insight into the purposes of a rant. It reverses the old saw, better to light a candle than to curse the darkness, to first curse the darkness then light a candle.

With Chuck Berry's passing it seems people have begun dying again.

I just got the book, DVD, and a book of criticism of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. Might inspire me to memorize the Constitution while it's in a coma, except for the Electoral College bullhist—The Dismal Compromise of 1787.

Is that all there is ...

Meanwhile, I have three plays this weekend to review, bam, bam, bam!

Dialed down to 450°

To the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi, Lynx,
Ray Bradbury is one of my favorites. I saw the movie Fahrenheit 451. Kind of appropriate now, yes? My book club is reading 1984. Also appropriate.

Good wishes for your play reviews.

I've been to the page all morning. So this afternoon I'm going to the washing machine and maybe to the vacuum cleaner, and then to the gym.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:
"Journalism seems like a good fit for you, Lynx. At least it does to me on the other side of computerland."
Inspiresuccess wrote: "Elaine, I remember you and I coming up with that observation about a year ago. I think Lynx's response was it was one of many things he wanted to do. I still think it's a good fit!"

So is this an honest -to-goodness success story? As in "Lynx got his wish?"

We think of success as getting to where we're going. And it can be the the end of the journey. But I think most Barbara Sher-type success stories are about taking the steps, doing what you love, even if you don't get to that big prize at the end, because the journey was the fun part.

So that means that almost everything we've posted here on the stepper thread is a success. Yay, us!

I admit that not everything I've posted here was a work of love. Some of the steps are steps of necessity, (laundry) and some are steps of "why am I doing this @#$%!%$ ?????" For me the touchstone is when the writing just pours out and, as I'm writing it, I know it's good, and when someone reads something I've written and says they enjoyed it. But sometimes, I've enjoyed the small steps a well.

So I'm thinking that the small steps - going to a meeting, a ten-minute writing or drawing or designing spurt, finding something good on the Internet, writing a post that helps a fellow stepper - all of these are successes.

So three cheers for the small successes that we've all made happen!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Elaine, I read this quote and thought of your frustration with killing a character.

"The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it intuiion or what you will, and the solution comes to you and you don't know how or why." Albert Einsteen

Could someone put this in the quotes thread?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Elaine, thanks for asking how I'm doing. I'm not well enough to share right now but I will when I can.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 am

Jumped through the first, easiest, burning hood and my job application won me an invite to the written test this coming Saturday. Been cramming on the unfamiliar parts, which is a bit of an uphill struggle as they are unfamiliar because I don't find them fascinating. But improving, and yesterday got a library study room for some hands-on taking computers apart. Doing this got me back in touch with memories I had forgotten I had forgotten, and was an encouraging review.

Now switching to light review and relaxing and resting as my preparation priority.

Despite doing almost nothing regularly every day, I did get over 5,000 words written in the last week or so. So I should go in to Camp Nanowrimo with some good preparation.

To be continued,

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories