April 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

April 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 am

We gather here to support one another. Making something that has never been done before is difficult. This is welcoming space for celebration also the sharing of the annoying obstacles living tosses in our creative paths.

When you flow like water you bring all of your talents and resources to your creative work... Flow around every obstacle you encounter, including any you've erected yourself. ~ Eric Maisel

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 am

Well, pre-April 1. Goal for this month is "flow" with Camp Nanowrimo. In a Random Selection Cabin. Today I'm typing out some notes and scanning a couple of books to see where I want to put my efforts.

Wonderful Spring April to everyone. We picked some nettles yesterday, so feel supported by the wild out there.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: April 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for starting April, Lynx. I like the quote you picked.

My only goals for April are taxes and Nanowrimo. The truth is, taxes won't be as bad as I'm making them out to be, and Nano won't be as wonderful as I'm making it out to be. Still, there's some truth in both the dread of taxes and the excitement of Nano. I'm going for the fifty thousand words this time. (In April you can set your goal, and in the past, I've set it for twenty thousand.) Also, I'm working on three projects at once. This sounds ambitious, but it's really not. Two of the projects will be easier to write and will produce a lot of words. The third project - the novel I've been working on, is a lot harder and slower to write. Yes, I've always been a numbers kind of person.

I hope we all have a great April.

And so . . . to the page or whatever.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi everyone.

I hope April is a good month for all.

Do I have any goals for April? No. At this point, I think it's better to report progress rather than set goals. Just see what I can manage and give myself credit for it. So here's progress made in March:

SES. writing it regularly. My health? very difficult. I need more meds and health insurance won't pay. Doc figured out a way around it for 2 months. I've taken extra for 2 weeks with no improvement. One day at a time.

I finished my 12 week music appreciation class -- didn't miss any classes. Signed up for another music listening class -- 6 weeks starting on April 21st.

Been doing the online lip reading training 10 minutes a day, 3-4 days a week. I also practice lip reading when I watch newscasters. I think I can see some progress.

Been doing an auditory brain training program. I've done 7 out of 11 sessions. It's designed to help hear when people speak too fast and in noisy situations. So far, I haven't tested it in real life so I don't know if it's helping. Friend told me about a good brain training program that sounds like it would help with my particular hearing issues. As usual, finances prevent me from signing up right now. Once I finish the auditory brain training I'll take a look at finances to see if I can sign up for my friend's program.

Got a chiropractic adjustment. This is really important but I'm not up to saying why right now. But I did it.

Working on learning about hearing assisted devices. I'll go into detail sometime soon on the hearing thread. Lots of stuff to add there that might help others with hearing loss.

I know I accomplished a lot in March and I'm proud of myself for that. It's just that I FELT SO INCREDIBLY MISERABLE and DEPRESSED and SICK and UNHAPPY and UNSTABLE and HORRIBLY AWFUL.

PLEASE GOD, LET ME FEEL GOOD IN APRIL in addition to getting stuff done.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Inspire, good job for getting so much done when you didn't feel good.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Inspire, good job for getting so much done when you didn't feel good.
Thanks, Elaine.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:36 am

Lynx, I tried to message you on Nano, and your name didn't show up. There's a NaNoDrewMo. That's the closest I could come.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:01 pm

"Lynx, I tried to message you on Nano"... look for Nuvue ... Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 am

I've started strong with Nanowrimo. Today life and chores are going to creep into my day. Taxes, fix the hose on my shower, clean my shoe, and spray the area in front of my house with dog repellent.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 Camp Nano

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 am

Hi all,

I'm in Elaine's camp cabin in Nanowrimo (Nano). I can't see it has a name, but I might be missing something. Strong enough start for me, too.

Today, getting in my time for Nano, cleaning a bit, laundry perhaps, walk to return library books. Maybe a movie, I'll have to see the schedule.

To the page (to read),
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:44 am

Good luck with Nano everyone. What does Nano mean?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 Camp Nano II

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Inspire,

Na tional
No vel
Wri ting
Mo nth

NaNoWriMo
- here's some history:

The very first NaNoWriMo took place in July 1999, in the San Francisco Bay Area. That first year there were 21 of us, and our July noveling binge had little to do with any ambitions we might have harbored on the literary front. Nor did it reflect any hopes we had about tapping more fully into our creative selves. No, we wanted to write novels for the same dumb reasons twenty-somethings start bands. Because we wanted to make noise. Because we didn’t have anything better to do. And because we thought that, as novelists, we would have an easier time getting dates than we did as non-novelists.

So sad. But so, so true.

The first year’s trials and tribulations are laid out in the introduction to No Plot? No Problem! But the short version is that our novels, despite our questionable motives and pitiful experience, came out okay. Not great. But not horrible, either. And, more surprising than that, the writing process had been really, really fun.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 am

Lynx, thanks for the definition and backstory. Loved your comment about playing in bands to get dates! :D I always thought it was just to make noise and annoy parents. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Inspire,

I think students of mating call being in a band a "type of display" designed to attract interested mating partners. My own "display," though I didn't know it at the time, was leading grassroots organizations ... and wearing leather dancing shoes indoors during a workshop.

Just for clarity, those are not my words (thus they are in a different colored font) but those of the folks who started/run Nano.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:24 pm

I didn't know that that's how Nanowrimo got started. I love the story. So twenty-something. It reminds me of a time when I watched a blackbird putting on a mating display in front of his girlfriend (who was being cool and aloof) and I thought how similar birds are to humans. I must admit, that my husband does not come into the room panting and drooling every time he sees me at the computer. Humph! But then I'm not twenty-five any more either.

I've started on my boring chore list for today (eat the frog first.) I'm having a lot of fun with NaNoWriMo, but for now it's

to the taxes.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories