April 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: April 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am

Hi, Inspire,
If you get ptsd symptoms from reading about violent actions, you should probably stop reading Searching for Kansas with the April 8th post. No violence, but a lot of emotional charge in the next batch of posts.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Hi, Inspire,
If you get ptsd symptoms from reading about violent actions, you should probably stop reading Searching for Kansas with the April 8th post. No violence, but a lot of emotional charge in the next batch of posts.

Thanks for the heads up, Elaine.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. (or makes me watch TV.) More unexpected stupid problems. On a bright note, the taxes are done.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. (or makes me watch TV.)
:D

Congrats on the taxes.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Shit. I screwed up on SES. I just checked and I haven't written for 7 days. I really haven't been doing well. That's why it's so important to document it. All I can do is back track and try to remember each day. F**K. I've been taking the extra meds for 3 weeks now. I thought I might be doing better but it's been a horrible day today.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 am

We're still with you, Inspire.

Posts here might be a little sparse until April is over because of Nanowrimo. All three of us are getting a lot of writing done. :D

Today is going to be a challenging day for me. (also known as @%@^#$@$) I have a lot of chores to do that I don't want to do. But I'll start the day with some writing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Howdy,

Yes, Inspire,we're with you. Stay tough.

Re Elaine's comment on Camp Nano, doing my best to keep up with self-imposed pace. A bit ahead at the moment, but schedule crowds out a bit near the tail of the month.

Come to determine with friend there are three types of lists (and I may have posted them before): Bucket lists - things to reach to do before dying; Luck-it lists, things that I would quickly do if I lucked into them (say an all expense paid trip somewhere); and the Yuck-it list, mandatory stuff that not fun at all. I guess there are others: the *uck-it list for things permanently dropped, for example.

Getting to any clinic is on my yuck-it lists. Had one a visit on Wed, and need to call a different one for appointments beginning today. Learned that my Obamacare benefits don't cover what I need to do next (teeth cleaning again! will this ever end?). For the price at the university school I can almost cover a visit with my former private doctor's cleaner. OR, search out other schools.

One of these calls exhausts me for a day. So I check it off my list for the day, and add the next call to the list for the morrow.

Yuck-it, I say, as I do so,

To the page,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Big decision. I'm giving the guitar away. 2 years now I've been talking about this here. Needed to glue the bridge. needed to buy strings. needed to find books. needed to string it. should I or shouldn't I paint it. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Trying to find a place to put it in this tiny apartmnent.

I did glue the bridge and string it and it sounded horrible. discovered that the piece on the bottom called the saddle, is missing. I called Guitar Center and talked to the repair guy. He implied that it would cost a lot but he couldn't say until he saw it.

I thought about all that would be involved -- take it to the store, get a quote, decide how much I'd be willing to pay, look at my finances, see what else I would not be able to buy if I fixed the guitar.

FUCK IT!

I just posted on freecycle. Someone who likes to fix things is going to get a really good deal. I have a case and a stand that goes with it. I feel a sense of relief and lightness and freedom to move on to other things that are more important. Can't wait to give it away. I know I'll get a lot of responses. It makes me happy thinking of someone enjoying the process of fixing it up and I get to be happy spending my money on something else. Plus, I'll be focused on what I should focus on with music -- PIANO! WHEW! THIS IS A BIG DEAL!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

guitar

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi,

Inspire, perhaps you can wrangle getting to hear it played when fully repaired.

I'm reviewing Here Lives Love, David Bryne's discusical about Imelda Marcos, on Thursday. Like my new word. Happened to find the whole album online and took a listen. Also watched a couple of interview videos yesterday. Bryne's in Seattle promoting it next week, but I'm booked the night he's on a panel.

Anyway, there's plenty written already so I have much to pick from to deepen my article.

Next, tonite, is putting in a bunch of 'pix-it fix-it' posts to my Dear City. Supposedly the pot hole fillers will be out in force this week filling as many potholes as they can. Not sure what they do the other 51 weeks. Clearly they avoid the streets I travel.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Sounds like a good decision, Inspire.

Lynx, I don't know about Seattle, but our public works department maintains roads, and maintains all the land owned by the County. That includes, painting signs, repaving roads, picking up trash, and other things that I don't know about. I'm not sure if they also build roads.

Me - more broken things and things to do that I don't want to do.

Easter turned out okay. I was dreading it because my mother in law decided she wants to move back home. This would just about kill my husband, and not do the rest of us any good. She wrote up an ultimatum. She changed it to say that she just wants to spend some time a couple of days a week at the house, which would be okay, but Tom thinks that that's just getting a foot in the door, and she's going to go from there to wanting to spend more and more time there.

Writing is going well. But I wish I could write a whole novel in two weeks and have it be wonderful writing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Elaine, Tom is right. She stated very clearly what she wants -- home full time. Then she started wheedling and saying it was just for a few days each week. Definitely a foot in the door.

The reality is that If it were possible for you to take care of her at home you would be doing it. It's no longer possible. I sympathize with her, but the reality is she can't be home. I hope Tom stands firm. I know how hard that must be when your mom is wheedling. But... STAND FIRM TOM! Hang in there and do what needs to be done.

Here I am giving advice to someone who is not on the boards! Ignore my nosiness as needed. :)

P.S. Like Barbara Sher says, a good rant is healthy. So MIL should be free to let it rip. We all know what it's like to have a good rant. Go for it MIL. Have a good rant. It must be very hard for you to leave your home. You have a good reason to rant.

Ooh, I'm full of advice tonight. I should mind my own business and go to bed!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 am

Inspire don't apologize for anything you wrote. You read the situation perfectly.
Tom is not good at saying "no."
When Mom was at home she used to wake Tom up every hour or two. There were a couple of times when he went forty-eight hours without sleep. I didn't know a person could actually do that. I was REALLY scared for him. Later she only woke him a couple of times during the night, but it doesn't make for restful sleep because he didn't know when she'd call. It's like carrying a pager. Yes the rest of us helped out but there was only so much we could do. Taking a turn watching Mom during the night was not a good option because Tom had gotten used to being up nights and sleeping in the day, like working the graveyard shift. So it didn't really help him.

I went as often as I could, but my hip, leg and back got wrecked every time I went up there. And she gave Nancy an attack of lupus. So you're right, we really couldn't take care of her at her home.

Mom really is the amazing overachieving angel I've described before, but like most of us she has her darker side, and this situation is bringing out the worst in her. Also, I don't think she understands just how hard it's been on the rest of us, because we didn't tell her. You just don't tell an old woman, "oh, by the way, you're killing your son."

On a more cheerful note, I'm having a lot of fun writing.

And my garden is so green it makes me think of the Amazon rain forest.

Happy Easter! Happy Steppin!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:16 am

Elaine, has Tom's hair grown out after the shaving his head debacle? I remember it was in response to his mom!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:46 am

Yes, Tom's hair is just about back to normal. He'll need another haircut pretty soon. And I hope he decides to get it. I'm not going to tell him to get a haircut. Believe me.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Yes, Tom's hair is just about back to normal. He'll need another haircut pretty soon. And I hope he decides to get it. I'm not going to tell him to get a haircut. Believe me.
:lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories