May 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

May 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello regulars, visitors, lucky lurkers,

This thread is for receiving and offering support for those steps of whatever size that advance us towards our goals. Sometimes a step might be huge, say submitting that application at last. Or quite small, perhaps simply picking up your instrument for 30 seconds.

May has plenty of days, and we all would like to think at the start of the month we'd put each of them to hard work. We also know it's not so simple. If you get started and face an interruption, no shame or blame, keep checking in and let us know when you're back on course.

The difficult truth is that our kingdom does not have to be very big at all for us to do good work: what is difficult is simply starting the work and carrying on day after day.

I once stood in fascination over a a man crouched on the scruffy floor of a swaying London Underground carriage. He was furiously scribbling paragraph after paragraph …

The memory of that man has stayed with me year after year, reminding me that I could work wherever there is a corner, wherever there was a knee or a pen or a pad, wherever there was pause in the besieging clamor of the world. I didn’t need a paradise in order to work, but work itself, given focus and given time for that focus to blossom, could open a little Eden of its own.

Most work is done in the midst of a host of other clamoring crowding priorities. The great swaying undercarriage of life. David Whyte, The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self, and Relationship.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: May 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Last month I disappeared into Camp Nanowrimo and did the closest to daily stepping as I ever have this century. And some of the steps happened. Did 10,000 words per month better than last year, and got my project up to “Turn Zero” ready. Not ready for Turn One, but good enough for pre-game beta testing.

Today I let myself get too tired and hungry * and headachy and was a grumpy driver. Since I didn’t want to be cross traffic, pulled into fairly yummy fast food joint for good – and a time out.

After that proceeded cheerily through last couple errands and early bedtime.
Which didn’t last.

For the I COULD DO ANYTHING IF I JUST KNEW WHAT IT WAS book club I really should be doing a half hour a day of something new. I’ll use some other of May’s many days to decide and catch up.

To be continued.

A phrase I heard from former AA people, and read hither in yon was “Don’t get too tired, hungry or lonely.” I do have the “lonely” reasonably covered.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

2 Julia Cameron's Live The Artist's Way

Postby Lynx » Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 am

Hi,

Discovered Julia Cameron's blogging site. Working my way down the first set of blogs, one at a time.

Topping the stack is her idea of daily, morning pages. Only 3, written by hand, about anything at all. These are very like Steinbeck's letters to his editor, but J.C. doesn't offer that as a credit. Maybe she does elsewhere.

I'm doing a technique I have to drag up when there's something I really have to do (Yuck list) I really can't feel the urge to do. I call it "buying some time." There's something I'd prefer to do: say keep working on my essay, and something that's is a drag, say read legal text related to a condo project. I make order paramount: only after I've read X minutes or pages of legal stuff can I get to my essay. It's just like "you can go outside until after you finish your chores."

Very Parental, but sometimes a bit of inner parent-as-discipliner is what it takes. Discipline means to align with a rule, not swapping someone's ass.

Today: minute for minute: 10 on legal (Done!) buys me 10 on essay.

To the yucky page,

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Ah discipline - not my strong suit. But it used to be.

Nano was great. Now I need to be back in the real world. Catch up on yuck list and not so yucky chores. My house is almost down to "call the health department." Really time to do some cleaning. Spring cleaning means cleaning all the corners and hiding places. I just need to clean the mess that's in plain sight.

To the step, to the step,
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 / Spiritual Power of Routine

Postby Lynx » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 am

Hi,

Ms. Cameron's piece I read today is about the spiritual power of routine. She even managed a new acronym: Good Orderly Direction - G O D. I kept reading anyway.

She toggles back & forth from external (work) to self (well, self) to external (monks) but still, part of us likes that regular stuff. I have a friend who travels constantly, and everyone morning he begins with muesli for breakfast, wherever he happens to be. It's his routine that means "steady" and "familiar" for him, and after that he spends the next 15 hours finding out new things about the world.

It's funny, I track how much my own agenda I can get into the first 180 minutes that are *not* routine, meaning I don't count things like bathing, eating breakfast, etc. If I did morning writing that would count into the time. I usually lie in bed for 30 minutes and conduct self-therapy using my amassed therapy skills on my own challenges. That runs about 180 hours a year @ $100 per hour, or $18,000 for therapy. No wonder I feel richer than my bank account at times.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4 Decluttering

Postby Lynx » Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Howdy ya'll,

Ms Cameron's next article was on decluttering, an active topic on these boards. She quotes Japanese decluttering consultant Marie Kondo's advice that if something doesn't 'spark joy' let it go.

I think Significant Other is feeling somewhat underwhelmed, and just today she mentioned someone is scanning what she wants to keep and letting go of the paper. Said it like I should react: Yes, wish I'd thot of that! But, we have already decluttered a great deal. I have jettisoned over half my vinyl albums, VHS cassettes, books, boxes and boxes of paper, etc. Corning ware. Pots that didn't work with induction stoves. Clothes. Whole shelves of my library related to dreams and history. But that was a few years ago.

What she's failing to really, really get is today, right now, I feel already overwhelmed. Getting my email to 000 by Sunday evening is plenty. Decluttering the space a bit more is emotionally complex for me and I just don't have it in me right now.

A little rant! That sparked some feeling! Refreshed.
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5 - Lowering the Stakes

Postby Lynx » Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 am

Howdy,

Today I read Julia Cameron's blog on 'lowering the stakes.' Very brief and clear. My favorite so far, probably.

She also links it to never miss a day, or in her language, so much per day. She offers this quote:

Anyone can be productive if the stakes are low enough. ~ Julia Cameron

For me low stakes are things like just 5 minutes, or one page, or this paragraph. I start my reviews with low stakes with a scaffold phrase like

I think the opening should be something like and just write out what comes. Later I delete the scaffold; often what's left is decent enough to keep.

Where can you lower your stakes?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am

It look as if all three of us steppers had a great Nanowrimo.

Lynx what did you think of the prizes they gave that were discounts? I might try the free one that gives feedback (I think it's Scribner) but I don't think I want any of the others.

Today should be a garden day. Weather is great and there's ton of work for me out there.

My plan for May was to try being a scanner for a month. I tend to be someone who doesn't try new things. So this would be a major lifestyle change. I feel it's a necessary change. The big "BUT" is I seem to have trouble with everything new. For example, my land line crashed. I've wanted to get rid of it for years - really expensive - but never got around to it. So now I have to use my cell as a phone instead of a tool for playing "Wordament." So I've been giving everyone my cell phone number. Unfortunately, it seems to be the wrong number. So now I have to go back and apologize to everyone. And of course there are all the businesses that have the wrong number for me. And the police report that I tried to file. Yikes!

This sort of thing seems to happen to me more often than it should.

Phone calls constitute a majority of my yuck list.

To the garden to the garden.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 4 Decluttering

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Lynx wrote:A little rant! That sparked some feeling! Refreshed.
:lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 3 / Spiritual Power of Routine

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Lynx wrote:She even managed a new acronym: Good Orderly Direction - G O D.
Actually, it's not hers. It's been around a really long time. Hope she's not claiming it as original.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:To the step, to the step,
Stepity, stepity, step, step, step. Repeat in three's and see where you get.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Ah discipline - not my strong suit. But it used to be.
As for me, it never was, is not now, and never shall be. Disciplined no; creative yes.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 2 Julia Cameron's Live The Artist's Way

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Lynx wrote:... only after I've read X minutes or pages of legal stuff can I get to my essay.
I always eat my cake first and then it's so rewarding it motivates me to do what I need to do. No kidding. That's how I get stuff done!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Lyndon wrote:Last month I disappeared into Camp Nanowrimo and did the closest to daily stepping as I ever have this century. And some of the steps happened. Did 10,000 words per month better than last year, and got my project up to “Turn Zero” ready. Not ready for Turn One, but good enough for pre-game beta testing.
Congrats! Great progress!

Lyndon wrote:To be continued.
I always enjoy what comes up after this!

I'm glad you've got the "lonely" bit covered. I've always got the "hungry" bit covered. I guess I should remember to always be grateful for that. Especially the chocolate.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:My plan for May was to try being a scanner for a month.
You've mentioned this before and it always makes me smile. As a diver, I'll never be a scanner. I know you're a diver, too. Good luck with your attempt to be both! :lol:

Elaine Glimme wrote:To the garden to the garden.
I'm still working on my freeway driving fears. I'm making progress. I live in Concord. So far, I've made it to Walnut Creek, Lafayette, and Orinda in that direction. My next goal is Berkeley. I've made it as far as Martinez in your direction.I hope someday i will be able to make it to your house and help with your yard and garden.

I sure could wack some weeds right now!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories