May 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: May 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Whew! I finally read through all the writing in this thread and it's only May 5th. I'm exhausted just reading all of this!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

No energy left for saying anything about myself!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Okay. I'm back. Me ---

I love my music class. The teacher doesn't teach in the summer but I plan on continuing this class. He repeats it so I look forward to taking this session again. I'm going to listen to all the pieces he plays so next time I can follow the details of what he's saying.

Despite 15 years of not listening to any music, I'm surprised at how much I can recognize when I listen (This is classical music). He handed a score to me once and I was surprised that I could follow it. I've only read piano music and that was 15 years ago so being able to follow a score for orchestra was interesting.

For anyone here who knows about classical music here's how this works. It's taught at an adult ed center. Each quarter (except for summer) he covers one period of classical music: An intro class, then Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary -- so four quarters then he repeats them.

It's a small group -- about 8 retired women most of whom have been taking his classes for a long time.

Hearing -- I have a receiver and head phones, he has a thing clipped to his belt and a mic clipped to his shirt so I can hear everything he says clearly. Unfortunately, I can't understand what people in the class say and they tend to talk back and forth with him. I try to lip read but I'm not fast enough to face him at the front then swivel around to read lips of someone talking. But overall, I'm do pretty good. Several women have accents and unfortunately, even if someone is speaking English the accent affects my ability to lip read. British accents are really hard, too. Plus, lip reading only helps about 10%-20%, but it's better than nothing.

The bottom line is I love the teacher, the format, the fact that I'll get to know the other students over time and the fact that I can continue to take this for years if I want to!

Health. I hope to try a new antidepressant soon. My doctor prescribed it but now it's hung up with whether the insurance will cover it. Sigh.

Teeth. After about 6 years of not going to the dentist I finally went. Really serious problems costing a lot of money I don't have. But at least I know what I'm dealing with now instead of worrying and guessing like I've been doing for the past 3 years watching 2 teeth turn black and 1/2 of one rotted completely away. One step at a time.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

only the 5th

Postby Lynx » Fri May 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Inspire
Whew! I finally read through all the writing in this thread and it's only May 5th. I'm exhausted just reading all of this!

:lol:

Inspire, it seems this classical music class and the possible friendships came at an good moment.

Re: GOD, Julia didn't say where she got it, just dropped it in a sentence. I'm not in the Christian/Bible study community so I hadn't come across it. I probably won't repeat it.

About the things from Nano, Elaine, the coolest for me was the scarf with some of your words on it. But I'm a guy. Also, cost money. What I did do was clip the image with "winner" on it and use it as the icon for my folder. Good price.

Reminds me of this story — Wayne Dyer's daughter came home from school one day and he asked how things went. She said the teacher had given her a gold star. She asked why, and the teacher said so she would feel good for having done good work. Dyer's daughter gave the star back and said "give this to a kid that needs it."

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

6 time

Postby Lynx » Sat May 06, 2017 6:00 am

howdy,

Julia Cameron's next blog (moving in the reverse order, this one was written in December) was about time, learning to do use the morning pages as a gentle structure to free obsessive thinking about time and/or self-whipping by calling oneself 'lazy' or 'wasteful' of time.

Pretty standard musings. Myself, letting go of cable opened up lots of time. Suddenly there wasn't an easy way to just sit in bed and let the box entertain me. Never quite wanted it because it's too easy. Many regular readers have noticed how frequently I attend art events, plays, talks, etc. Well, there's one source here: if I didn't go out and do those things I wouldn't enjoy much entertainment. What do I prefer live (with all its attendant hassles) or cable? Live. I never bump into anyone watching cable.

Today, up super early, and decided to poke about a bit. Have a draft email/letter to trim and read to my partner before sending off. Marks a shift in how I'm approaching the next major project in my material living: a siding redo on our condo. My motto is that E L Doctorow quote:

It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.

Also, considering giving our deck a good spring cleaning. This is my 6th or 7th day of cleaning one section a day in prep for guests arriving for dinner next week. Our first at our home in a long time. Bit of nerves, to be expected. Interestingly, I'm comfortable living as I do, but my partner suffers for Jones' Envy and even post her $15,000 remodel she's picking out things that aren't quite good enough.

It's not only her, these folks have overrun the world. Help! Keep them away from me!

Worriers and complainers try to spoil the approach to everything. i have to spend energy shielding myself and keeping my distance, and even dampening my enthusiasm lest they are aroused to really show me how really bad things are. One source of my love of reading ... as a child adults would leave me be when I had my nose in a book. Learning outranked their need of an audience.

Never accept that their choosing to focus on negativity, dire worries, and bad news is "realer" than my own alternative choices.

Of course, this post was a complaint about complainers! Oy vey. For fun I'll see if I can find a blog on that theme. Found this:

Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses. ~Proverb

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Now that I'm steppin' again I went back to January to see what I wanted to do this year. Here's what I wrote:

By the end of 2017 I would like to:

1. MUSIC. OWN A PIANO and be playing it.
2. ART. OWN A DRAFTING TABLE AND CHAIR and be drawing.
3. PEOPLE. SOCIAL LIFE. keep working on reconnecting.
4. HEARING. Take on the challenge of learning lip reading, etc.
5. DESIGN. Keep working on my book.
Here's what I've done so far.

1. MUSIC. I've done research on piano buying but haven't bought the piano yet. However, I've done music related things that I didn't put on my list. Here they are:

A. Took history of western music class. Met a person there that gave me the name of a good classical piano teacher.

B. Currently taking Music Listening class that I intend to take for a long time. Met a person there who goes to the ballet and opera movies at the movie theatre that I go to. Season is over, but when it starts in the fall I'll have someone to go with.

C. Gave away keyboard, guitar, and penny whistle.

D. Sorted through music books, CDs, cassette tape, sheet music, etc. to see what I have and what to let go of. Lots more work to do in this area but I've started.

2. ART. I recently started clearing out space for a drafting table and chair.

3. PEOPLE. SOCIAL LIFE. Taking adult ed classes. Plan on going to Unitarian church if I can hear. That's the challenge. They seem like a friendly bunch when I went to a concert there.

4. HEARING.

A. Lip reading. I've been doing the lip reading online but I've been slacking off. Need to get back to it. It gets discouraging because it only helps 10%-20%. It's hard to see the results. I was seeing a bit of results at the prayer group but I haven't gone for a month.

B. LACE training. I did another online thing for hearing in noisy places. I've had one more session with that.

C. BrainHQ. My friend told me about a brain training place online that looks like it will help.

D. Got hearing assisted device for adult ed class.

E. Working on getting help for dance/exercise class.

F. Working on getting help with churches.

G. Attending HLAA meetings and getting help from the president of the local group.

5. DESIGN. Have done nothing since October 30, 2016. Too much depression.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat May 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks for posting about all the great things you're doing, everyone. The music class sounds like a lot of fun, Inspire.
Me. I go from really ambitious to really lazy. Making mistakes or not knowing things I think I should know are what stop me.

Gardening, the weeds are growing faster than I can wack them.
Writing - going really well.

Other scanner-type projects - can't think of anything that I want to do right now. But I think I'd be happier if I changed things up a bit.

Body - oy, vey! If I work it too hard, I can't move. If I don't work it enough I can't move.

Good stuff in my life right now - writing, writing, writing. And a couple of fun parties coming up in the next month.

So I guess this post is more about cheering all of you on than about the things I'm doing.

Go team! Go team!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7 pain as energy

Postby Lynx » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am

Working back still through Julia's blogs, which are really clips from her book. This next post on pain as energy ... only 130 words, and a block of those repeated prompts of "The truth is, I’m frustrated by..." to write out responses to very quickly.

The truth is, I’m frustrated by... not enough cohesion in my condo, from the board. Feels like I'm soloing getting this siding some traction. Resent the hell out of this. Yet another reminder of my loss of a longtime goal of living in a vibrant community.

The truth is, I’m frustrated by... how the public institutions of government really don't deeply know what the hell they are doing. Public comment sessions really are disguised public sales sessions. Bringing up very obvious things like college students move about a lot and so need a space to park their cars and trucks to get things in and out of their apartments has to be carefully walked through, with constant reminders of "think about it" etc. Really? What are our civil employees imagining day to day as they do their jobs and supposed *plan* things?

Picking up the very difficult issue of restoring some bus services.

The truth is, I’m frustrated by... my local community council. Some recoiled at the use of the term "activist" but didn't propose their own. They don't want to read a common reference for how to go about doing our public minded work. Until I insisted that we have no complaining w/o a suggestion, too much of the time would be the seemingly endless recitation of problems ... with garbage and litter, with parking, etc. Also, one or two wanted to apply for a grant to do something with a hill that's now home to rats and blackberries, and people use as a midden. It was uncomfortable, but I raised the motion we limit our focus until we had more people. We settled on two topics, parking and transportation, and "tabled" the Truck Hill discussion until we had more success with one of the priority items.

The truth is, I’m frustrated by...
There's something about people sitting in groups that opens them up to thinking the group can take on far more than they would consider if working alone. The truth is, it's exactly the opposite—groups can do best fewer things than the members propose because of the burden of coordination and communication. This Truck Hill project would have drained members' time to research, draft, rewrite, haggle, rush to deadlines, etc. Where the time left for the other things we say are important? Geez!

The truth is, I’m frustrated by...
public health care. Need to get to a teeth cleaning at the local university. My benefits for the year are spent, so this is my expense. Called around to other teaching clinics, the burden of becoming a new client at the other schools is too high. And another thing, at the U. they would want to X-Ray "a full set", again out of benefit. I want to limit my radiation exposure, and so face the challenge of discussing this. I think I want to be sitting up or facing them when we discuss this. They want to act like they control what happens and are teaching these students to operate that way. They need clients like me to learn some humility.

The truth is, I’m frustrated by... my partner's chronic complaining and drawing bad news about the antics of the government's supposed head of state. I just want to have Evilene's "No Bad News" playing constantly. See, I have lots of frustrations and bad news already swirling inside and really can't tolerate any more.

More Ranting!

So, here you go to copy and paste ... The truth is, I’m frustrated by...
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun May 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Huge decision. I'm going to give away all the pots and little tables on my tiny patio. One of the plants has been with me for 15 years. I took it out of my garden when I had to leave my house and it's traveled with me in a pot to every house I rented a room from. It needs full sun and it's been struggling for the 3.5 years I've been here. I've tried to make a little patio garden but the tree blocks the light.

I give up. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........................not the kind of person to have an empty patio. I've tried for 3.5 years. I give up.

I'm going to buy a very small pot for spearmint because I eat it daily, but it will be half the size of the pots I have now.

I need a garden. There is not substitute for planting things in the ground. I need to be kneeling in soil and touching the earth and being connected.

It's time to plant tomatoes. They were always my favorite thing to grow -- Early Girl for salads, cherry tomatoes for snacks, beefstake tomatoes for sandwiches. Plus, I always tried a new variety every year.

I'm going to take the Barbara Sher approach to this. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I MEET, I'm going to ask them if they know anyone who has the space to grow tomatoes and I would share the harvest with them.

I was on a community garden list for a year in the last town I lived in. I finally got my plot and then had to move to the town I'm in. This town doesn't have any community gardens. SOMEONE OUT THERE, has room in the yard for tomatoes. I know there are elderly people out there somewhere who used to have a garden and are no longer able to do the work. They feel sad seeing there garden space unused and would be happy to see a garden there again.

The people in the adult ed class all live in senior living places. But I'll keep asking.

UNIVERSE -- HERE THE MESSAGE. I AM AVAILABLE.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Inspire, I can't believe there aren't any community gardens near you. If you're on the east end of Concord, there's a ton of open land near you. I browsed the Internet and didn't find anything. Heather Farms is a park off of Ygnacio Valley. It's not really a gardening center, but it's a beautiful place to hang out, and there might be someone there who would know something - one of the park employees is who I'm thinking of.

It's prime gardening weather now - before it gets any hotter. Would herbs, or some shade-loving plants on your patio tide you over until you found some earth to dig in?

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Elaine, I've spent 3.5 years trying to find something that would grow well on the balcony. I'm a master gardener. Believe me, if something would work I would have found it.

I like your suggestion of asking places like Heather Farms about gardening places. I could call places like Navlets to see if anyone there would know.

I guess I could make it a Barbara Sher project -- ask anyone, everyone, and if they don't know ask if they know someone who does know. Make phone calls, ask, ask, ask. Make a giant nuisance of myself until I the Universe gets so sick of me that I break through the barrier.

Time is an issue. Tomatoes need to go in now plus a lot of other things that I'd love to plant. I think asking someone about planting tomatoes seems the least intimidating and who doesn't like tomatoes! Once I see the spot and get tomatoes in and the person gets to know me I could gently suggest more veggies.

There are places like churches who have volunteers to do work around the grounds. I've checked that. It doesn't suit my needs.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8 tomatoes

Postby Lynx » Mon May 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi ya'll,

Insp, your challenge got my interests rolling. I see mention you live in Concord.

UC Master Gardeners held their April sale and drew big lines. This is an article.
What makes the Great Tomato Plant Sale so special?
We base our selections & recommendations on the local experience of UC Master Gardeners field-testing & growing these tomato varieties in their own Contra Costa gardens and in Our Garden, our Walnut Creek demo garden. Many of our varieties are only available locally through us, impossible to find in local nurseries. And, in keeping with our emphasis on sustainable gardening practices, many come from open-pollinated seeds we’ve harvested ourselves from our own gardens.

There's also the possibility of working/volunteering at one of the nearby local farms. They list 24, here's one of them. ...

Buttercup Farms - helping people overcome loneliness and isolation through agriculture. In Clayton.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 09, 2017 12:47 am

Lynx,

Yes, I know about the master gardener tomato sale. That's one of the reasons my heart is aching. This is tomato planting time. This is the time of year I'd be putting in my tomatoes. Och! It hurts so much to not have a place to plant.

Thanks for doing your search. I'm going to go through the list and check out these farms.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am

My purpose in listing that was not for the sale, but for the demo garden and UC Master Gardeners program. From what I can tell, the demo garden is staffed by volunteers. Hint, hint.

Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 09, 2017 11:29 am

And I can't imagine a tomato doing well on a patio, especially a shady patio. Not even a patio tomato.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories