May 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: May 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Tue May 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Day after Camp Nanowrimo my brain was in "I can't believe I wrote the whole thing ..." stupor.
Then had evening appointments out next 3 days.

Readjusting and still doing a good thousand words a day on the game. Invited some friends, and they invited more friends. Some are familiar from over the years, some are completely new to me. Yay!

Managing to get more documentation written at work, which is a Good Thing.

Had a medication change, and started sleeping through my alarm clock. Pacing myself -- and setting the alarm for more assertive alerts.
I had nice cello music, which was enough. I've left it for Ideal time to wake. Following by square dance music for reasonably good time. Followed a few minutes later by rather assertive alarm. And on first day woke at first cello music, and day's going well.

Catching up on some chores and some pleasures.

To be continued.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Proceed very carefully / 9

Postby Lynx » Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi ya'll,

Yes, Lyndon, Camp Nano is shut for the next several months. It's looking like I won't be able to get to Camp Nano July this year. Anyhow, both April and November have been very productive.

I'm never short of projects. Part of it is I don't do a lot of streaming, not on Facebook, research rather than passively receive any news, and have way more ideas for things to do than time, or even lifetimes.

One of my hopes for the past several months has been developing new friends. Turns out, several people have shown up, so this is good. One is actually quite magical, and is opening up possibilities for paid gigs, perhaps. He's invited me to be part of a select group to brainstorm some ideas at a meeting in July in Oakland. He's offered to sponsor my travel a little. Wow!

I have to proceed very carefully. Proceed very carefully is my new motto as I see it applies to many of my challenges. I'm not sure I want to take a complete gift and may keep in my mind repaying him when I get work. I enjoy reciprocity. On the other hand, I also know I'm starved for my father's approval, so anyone showing they want my company so much to sponsor my being someplace brings on a rush of happy feelings. Seductive happy feelings as before I learned they are so uplifting I lose touch with the ground.

Not this time. Humility is not quite the concept I need, but something close to it. Steadiness, skepticism even. I'll sleep on it.

To the sheet,
Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10 Julia Cameron on Healthy Risk

Postby Lynx » Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 am

Read the next J C blog. Her words:

But while stress from negative situations can be damaging, stress from confronting challenges or taking a healthy risk can be energizing and motivating. When our lives feel lackluster, it can help to ask ourselves if there is a creative risk we could take but are not taking. A little healthy risk goes a long way toward giving us a rewarding sense of aliveness.

Making the decision and then acting on it brings a great sense of momentum and satisfaction.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Oh, God, crying.

My patio is empty. It's the first time in my life that I have no plants to take care of. The last 3.5 years are the first time in my life I've had no pets to take care of. I don't have a home, a yard, a garden, a husband, friends that need help, ANYTHING TO TAKE CARE OF. I'm a homebody person who loves to care for things.

People keep saying "Now you can take care of myself". As far as I'm concerned, it's not an "either or" situation. I've always been able to take care of myself, plants, animals, yards, and people at the same time. I thought about bird feeders and decided "no". I just can't keep trying to make things grow or work here. I need to have an empty patio and allow myself to get used to it and move on. All of the energy that has gone into trying to make plants grow indoors and out in this apartment will go into playing piano when I get one. But a piano isn't a living thing. I need to take care of living things.

For now, I'm going to have to give myself some recovery time today.

And no, I don't want to pet sit or volunteer with animals. I don't want to work on some other person's yard or garden. I don't want to volunteer to take care of people.

I JUST WANT A HOME. I've been trying to accept the lack of one for 3.5 years now.

I have more stuff that I'm giving away on freecycle and Goodwill. The apartment keeps getting more and more stripped down and looking more and more like some generic place that has no personality.

I know I've been whining about this situation for years here. I wish I could be perky and happy and say I'm finally adapting. Obviously, today is not going to be that day.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11 wanting a home

Postby Lynx » Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 am

Hi,

Oh, Inspire, I sense your torment, felt your wail: I just want a home!

Spew it out. Heartache, I get it.

I sit with you as witness to your suffering and eventual recovery.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 11 wanting a home

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu May 11, 2017 8:43 am

Lynx wrote:Hi,

Oh, Inspire, I sense your torment, felt your wail: I just want a home!

Spew it out. Heartache, I get it.

I sit with you as witness to your suffering and eventual recovery.
Lynx

Thank you, Lynx. That helps me today to not feel so alone in my deep sadness.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Prayers and loving wishes, Inspire.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12 J C honoring our stories

Postby Lynx » Fri May 12, 2017 8:28 am

Hello,

Julia Cameron's blog this time: honoring our stories.

This one is clearly written for retirees. My takeaway: looking back on our lives, find value in what we did, how we endured, where our journey took us that was unique and thus truly ours.

I think of O Henry's story: The Last Leaf, and even recalling the title draws tears. Honor one's story till one's last breath!

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 am

Wow, Lynx!
it's funny how easy it is to remember every mistake I ever made, and how hard it is to remember the good things.

I'm wondering about something similar.

You all know the story about Thomas Edison finding a thousand ways not to invent the light bulb before he got it right. There has to be a way to weather the disappointments in order to make it to the success. And to weather the disappointment if you never succeed.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

13 true words

Postby Lynx » Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 am

@Elaine: And to weather the disappointment if you never succeed.

I name this the quote of the month. This is really the base skill of mental health, and appreciating this and how to succeed at weathering never succeeding is likely the main success.

Standford runs the Resilience Project which gathers video clips of many people discussing their failures. It's designed to show undergraduates that C or bad paper is not the end of your story.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 13, 2017 11:06 am

Elaine Glimme wrote: There has to be a way to weather the disappointments in order to make it to the success.

Elaine Glimme wrote: There has to be a way to weather the disappointments in order to make it to the success.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

12 - 20 - 0 in email

Postby Lynx » Sun May 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Slipping a bit: 12 messages in inbox, 20 in sent box, 0 in spam. Dont feel up to getting to 0 - 0 - 0. And it's Sunday night. Reset goal for the week.

Fresh method: I'm so intrigued by never miss a day that I have to experiment with it. Just had a couple of friends over for a long promised dinner party. 9 days ago the place needed lots of cleaning. I started cleaning something, once a day. By Friday, there was nothing urgent that needed done: the kitchen was ready, everything was vacuumed, the deck scrubbed, the bathroom spotless, the food supplies purchased.

For some things, missing a day is not so big a deal because the task is easily to track or something is pending but out of my hands. So, I now keep going on a system of 5 of 8 days.

What I really like, is sometimes I count the smallest action. Today for example I began with the idea of printing out an email message, but it was so difficult to find it, that I backed up and counted finding it as the days work. I will print it tomorrow, another day's work. 2 for 2.

I monitor all this on 42goals, a free tracking app (there are some paid goodies, but the basic seems to work for me fine). I have three numbers in series: the first day I get rolling is 118. First day (100 place), #1 (10s place) of 8 (1's place). Tomorrow when I work on my entry will be 228, second day, day #2 on task, of 8 days). Let's say I skip the day after—328, third day, still only 2 days work out of the 8. The worst would be 808, and the best 888.

So new, I haven't finished one 8 day cycle yet, so I don't know what I'll feel. I might take a few days off if nothing urgent is needed.
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon May 15, 2017 11:49 am

Your tracking system sounds intriguing.

I have a lot of projects to get back on track about. The diver in me wants to focus on one thing at a time. Since I'm trying to scan more, maybe I'll write them all down, and see what happens. And just check of something when I've done a piece of it. Sort of like your 118 project, Lynx.

Anyway, I haven't jumped into the work yet.

I had a busy Friday through Sunday, and a happy one with lots of parties and family.

Next post, I'll probably write up a whole bunch of steps. BTW I eventually got all the steps done the last time I posted a list.

And I don't want my writing to disappear in a pile of chores and other projects.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

42goals

Postby Lynx » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 am

Looks like 42goals is having server issues as I couldn't log in for the past several days. I'm carrying on none the less and will see what I recall when it's up again.

Today, a surprise opening as I shifted some commitments around. Part of me is whoppee! Time‽ here's a pile of things in the queue. Here's a stack of new and improved ideas! Let's go!

And the other part is,
lazy bones, sleeping while it rains,
how ya gonna get your daily gains?

The thing of it is, time in the future is less than it really it. Heck, imagined time today is less that is really is. An hour has maybe 12 minutes of real work, the rest is assembling stuff to get to the work.

Reality is complicated and scattered. A basic task, say, send a package, involves finding a suitable envelope or box, … no not this box, too big, oh, and this box might work but I had in mind another use, should I repurpose a box in plain sight, oh, this one will work just right.

Wrapping the object in padding, ... this bubble wrap is too thick, OK, this works. I'll need to trim it some. Scissors don't cut, why am I keeping these around? How about these, yeah, OK, trimmed.

Writing and inserting a note ... what to say, is this clever enough, ...

Taping box closed, ... not the Christmas tape, the shipping tape ... where is it ... I need to sharpen these scissors ...

Making labels, ... search stored labels, nothing? I thought I had a page of labels, search again, ... nothing, oh, well, make new page ...

Getting to a post office, let's see, if I leave early enough for my appointment I can maybe get this shipped for the XCV branch, ... look, a line, but wait, the machine is open and no line, follow instructions ... hm, affix tracking sticker to the left of the postage, there no room because the box is small ... turn box on edge and put there, trust the PO workers will find it.

Follow instructions ... put box in package bin ... package bin "sealed" and out of service ... cut line and wait for the clerk to make eye contact. Hand box to her and ... now it's the Post Office's job.

And it made it intact!

Well, that was easy.
Lx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 17, 2017 9:16 am

My focus is back on the apartment again -- trying to find a way to make it livable.

My other focus, unfortunately, is a health issue -- distorted hearing in one ear that came on suddenly. Went to the ER. They wanted to refer me to an ENT doctor but because my insurance is county, they couldn't refer me to any of their doctors. I have to go through the county process. Next day, saw my audiologist. No change in the hearing itself. He's going to try to push through an ENT appointment sooner than the usual 1-3 months. I see my acupuncturist tomorrow. Maybe he can give the Chinese medicine perspective. I can hear in the ear but the sound is distorted -- like being under water or in an echo chamber. I'm trying to take good care of my health overall and in the meantime try not to think about it too much.

Now that the balcony is bare I could paint furniture out there if I want to. Apartment improvement is SOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOW, but at least I'm back to working on it.

The new hearing issue postpones my buying a TV and piano which I was on the verge of doing. That's why I'm focused on the apartment in general again.

During the summer session, the adult ed class I'm taking is Qi Gong, which is one of the things my acupuncturist uses in his treatment process. I thought if I learned about it, it would help me understand when he explains things to me. I will need to use the hearing assisted device in the class, which may be a challenge because, unlike my music instructor, the teacher will be moving so hopefully the gadget won't fall off. We'll have to experiment. At least the class is at the same place as my music class, so I know where to get the device and how to use it.

RE: medication. I waited 2 weeks and finally the insurance decided they weren't willing to pay for my new medication. My doctor will be back on the 24th. We'll see where to go from there. One more health challenge. Sigh.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories