June 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: June 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 am

Hi, Square Peg, Sorry your post is a sad one. I know your family has had some health problems.

I'm thinking comforting thoughts to you, or prayers if you like prayers.

You've always supported the rest of us. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping that each day you find at least one good unexpected thing. (more than one is even better.)
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11 0 2 0

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi,

Got my email folders to 0 2 0 (inbox, sent, spam). After I finish this and take a break, I'll deal with the last 2 in the sent box.

The Blood Normal situation will take a very long time. Tested twice today, same score — 153/93 — at heart rate of 51 beats a minute. What's the average heart rate for 62 year old African-American male agitator, thinker, writer, left hander who lives on the second floor overlooking a busy side street with a garden, park, and bike trail in easy distance & who eats breakfast every day and wears socks to keep his feet warm when sleeping? How can there be no data on this?
Ninety percent of 60 year olds resting pulses fall within the range of 54 to 91 bpm. In general, an adult's resting heart rate will be lower for those in better athletic condition.

Their chart places me in the upper 2.5% for my age group. Hm.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:08 am

I thought normal resting pulse rate was 60 - 70. That explains why no one was worried that mine was in the fifties.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 am

According to most of the internet sites, normal resting heart rate is 60 - 100. But I remember a doctor saying 60 - ? maybe it was 75 or 80. I can't really remember. The higher numbers are normal but not good.

Athletes have lower heart rate - 40 - 60.

According to one doctor, they think 50 - 70 is ideal. I know that for most people, lower is better.
Lynx, you get a lot of exercise, so for you 54 is probably really good.

I'm not close to the "athlete" category, so I wonder why mine is so low.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 am

Just had an epiphany. I read a book that had a Buddhist teaching in it. (I'm not Buddhist, but I'm fond of their teachings.) There are three stages in a person's life - thoughtless being, thought, return to thoughtless being. I never really got it - on a gut level - until now.
It's like Yoda's saying - "Don't think. Do." It's like the saying, "Don't overthink it."
And it dawns on me that it's why I like Barbara Sher. - "What you love is what you're gifted at." So you just do it and don't worry about whether it's good enough.
And it's why I like Nanowrimo. - You're writing so fast you don't have time to think or overthink.
And it's why I play so much solitaire. It's listening to the thought that everything I do ends up wrong. So I figure just one more game and then everything will be wonderful (Repeat until it's time to go to bed.)
I don't know if this means anything to anyone else here, but it means something to me.

To the page. (I hope.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

13 epiphanies

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 am

HI folks,

Elaine, very interesting insight. I've been developing my own short cuts to limiting my thinking/over-thinking. For me, looking ahead on a project just seems like endless spider webs trying me up (more meetings to attend, more contacts to manage, more references to read, more background to master so I a least sound credible, etc.).

I fall away from thinking when I'm reading, walking, watching interviews and talks on the web, etc. Cooking, too.

Blood normal developments: there's a spike in the numbers first thing in the morning. Not measuring then ever again!

The lowest are around 2:30 AM, I guess, I never take a reading then. I think I'll try some nights. Today/tomorrow will be interesting, I'll try a reading around 10:30 PM. Then tomorrow I'm taking my herbal remedy, enjoying a massage followed by a iso-tank float.

About overthinking, sometimes it's just fun. Is it better to have a massage first then the float, or the float and then the massage? I have one last ticket on a deal I got in December and haven't made the arrangements until now to try one of the alternatives.

Then tomorrow night I'll measure the BP around 10:30 again and see.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Lynx, you probably know this, but in case you don't.

Blood pressure spikes all the time. You should sit still for a couple of minutes before taking your bp.

If you're upset about something, don't take your BP for a while. It'll be high, that doesn't count. Also there's white coat syndrome. People''s BP goes up at the doctor's office.

I don't know how accurate your meter is. My first one was terrible. I could get a reading and then get it twenty points lower a minute later. And then twenty points lower a minute after that. It took me a while to figure out exactly how to put it on my arm to get an accurate reading. Also, I compared the reading the meter gave me with the reading at two drug stores to figure out what was correct and what was the meter giving bad readings. For me I discovered that the lower readings correlated with what the doctor got and what the drug stores got, and the higher readers were incorrect.

For me, when my BP goes up, I feel upset for no good reason. It's not an absolute, but it happens a lot.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

13 Blood Circulation Normal BCN

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi Elaine,

I'm opening a fresh thread for this: BCN. In Success Stories. Look for the continuation there.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:32 pm

On a more uplifting note, I'm going to try to get some more writing done today. I have a romance thread started and I'm having a lot of fun killing people.

funny sometimes it's harder to write the really great stuff, like train wrecks and first kisses than it is to write the more mundane things, like drinking coffee.
That's partly because it's been so long since my first kiss. But I do remember it. I couldn't think of anything else for the next couple of days after the kiss.
I never thought I'd get Alex out of prison, but that turned to be a lot of fun to write once I figured out how to do it.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 am

I wrote the kiss the way I wanted.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:On a more uplifting note, I'm going to try to get some more writing done today. I have a romance thread started and I'm having a lot of fun killing people.

funny sometimes it's harder to write the really great stuff, like train wrecks and first kisses than it is to write the more mundane things, like drinking coffee.
That's partly because it's been so long since my first kiss. But I do remember it. I couldn't think of anything else for the next couple of days after the kiss.
I never thought I'd get Alex out of prison, but that turned to be a lot of fun to write once I figured out how to do it.
And it was great fun to read!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks, Square Peg,

It makes me happy to know that someone is reading my novel.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 am

Hi folks,

Facing a weekend with not much planned yet. I'll poke through the weeklies, heyevent, etc. and see what's happening.

Posted a review of yet another performance this morning, about my 72nd over the past 3+ years. Still enjoying it a lot and definitely established my instant cred as a 'writer.'

Breaking news ... Amazon just bot Whole Foods for $13 billion. This may change my food shopping habits. WF at least had some minute legacy remembrance in its corporate DNA of from which they came (hippies starting health food stores). I also dont like feeding the AMZN beast. It's already taken market share and thus closed several of my most loved bookstores in Seattle (its home base).

Anyway, I have several yuck list things I can at least start to look at this weekend. I want to drag up my will and get it ready for signing, update my registration with the local county to put my name of their business "lists" and get prepared for outreach to local candidates to brief them on a couple of issues I care deeply about.

Easy stuff, right?
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm

A few things crossed off of my yuck-it list.

And I'm having a touch of writer's block.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 am

Have a long Yuck list, here's how I'm currently getting myself to keep at it.

Unless it's urgent, I take up one at a time for a week. In May I did my power of attorney forms (medical and financial) and also another form I didn't know about at my credit union that permits access to my accounts should the need arise.

This is wonderful. But as I have choice, I'll set it back into the rotation list.

Next up has been organizing my political activities (city & county mostly). This peaks tomorrow with the meeting of my neighborhood community council.

Now up is re-certifying my company on one of he vendor/contractor lists the county keeps. I set myself the task yesterday of working for 1 hour. Got into the flow and worked for nearly 2; mostly printing out 3 years of business taxes.

Which raises the delicious questions, does that overtime rollover to today or do I reset my time to one hour?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories