July 2017 Daily stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

July 2017 Daily stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 am

This thread is for receiving and offering support for those steps of whatever size that advance us towards our goals. Sometimes a step might be huge, say submitting that application at last. Or quite small, perhaps simply picking up your instrument for 30 seconds. Whatever you choose to do, happy stepping, everyone.

"I'm not giving up. And neither are you! And neither am I!" - Duane Cody - Thanks, Jason
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks Elaine for launching this month's thread.

Sunday of a long holiday weekend. Interesting, now without a regular office gig, holidays lack the same allure they once held.

Hard @ work, tho, getting through some things ...

Req. for proposal in for a retreat

Req for proposal in to lead a design team

Paperwork to keep my registration alive

Plus, since wordpress ate one of my older theater reviews, I am going to devote a couple of hours to archiving all my reviews that are left. I'll see if that's the only one. This had happened before, something to do with me posting right when wp was 'upgrading' their system. I've begun the archive effort before, too, but it was off & on depending. Now it's on till done.

Also, have a bunch of things to get out of my house via the free-gifting websites.

Still, had an amazing meal last night. Experiences of happiness like that give me a boost for several days.

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

test

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 am

Testing the use of the other list function; I've never gotten it to work.

1. one
  2. two
  3. three

1. one
  2. two
  3. three

Here's the page with the instructions:

https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

Look for advanced lists.

L
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: July 2017 Daily stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Your codes go beyond my expertise. Good luck.

Me - my yucket list is being whittled down. All items are either done or started. The ones not finished either have definite appointments for when they will be completed or they are dependent on someone (a responsible someone) else finishing them. So yay!

Nanowrimo is fun. There are a lot of young people in my cabin. Most of the cabin mates are around twenty. They like to post a lot, and their posts are fresh.

I'm still slow, sluggish and hurting, but other than that, life is great.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

from 7/3 - goodbye zotero

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:19 am

Hello,

There's a firefox add-on called Zotero that's supposed to be a hand way to keep track of citations, take snapshots of pages you read, have a handy link back to the pages, etc.

Except there's the issue of them always being there when you return to find the files. I'm going to back up my play reviews and thought I used Z. My old saves were ... blank!? Where are they? What did I do? I added several "profiles" for firefox, did that wreck havoc?

OK, not the first, find some instructions, follow them, didn't work, find again, different guidance, worked of sorts. But the files I want are gone.

Hm, sometimes I find random folders with confusing files in them, maybe these were the needed files? Snapshots not working at all.

Enuff! said my inner Enuffer.
More ... later
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

4 - Line Jump or Take a Number

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:28 am

This zotero discovery has interrupted my plans for back-up.

Now, do I deal with it, or continue with my original purpose and dealing with z gets a "number" and goes to the back of the line?

This question arrives with every new discovery. Dealing with the new arrival (NA) now feels like going with the flow; keeping to plans feels scripted.

But sticking to, and completing plans leaves me feeling more compact, or solid. Never reaching a finish (dealing with streams of NAs) leaves me feeling harried and scattered.

It all depends. And, of course, both z. and my other back-up pursuit share the same end goal: have a copy of important online stuff before it's lost, erased, or changed.

Tiebreaker for today: Wordpress lost one of my posts, so I'm feeling stronger needs to feel confident I can recover the rest of my work and see if any others are lost. Winner: start making pdf's of my online reviews; z — take a #. Z isn't my work, but sites I thought interesting.

To the disk,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:31 am

I chuckled in sympathy at zotero. We have so much. I want technology to just stop and let me catch up with it. Let me just use the tools I know how to use and not keep trying to bump me into new directions. That's not quite your situation, but similar - sort of.

Nano - 4590 words. A little behind the goal, but a decent start. I'm writing new things in the morning, and I'm editing my old work in the afternoon. At least that's the plan. The combination should keep me going when writers' block hits. My real goal - dare I actually utter it? - is to finish the novel. Have it edited well enough to publish by the end of July. Of course I always set myself up for more than i can accomplish, and this is probably too much. But Nano is pretty motivating. Last night at 3 am I came up with a Last Rites scene. I'm sleeping with a notebook next to my pillow these days. I wish I could clone myself. Then I'd have someone to talk to and argue with. I often pretend that I'm my best friend and we're writing the novel together. But, unfortunately, I'm sane enough to know that that isn't true. Oh, well.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5th of July

Postby Lynx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 am

Hi steppers,

yes, EG, it's exactly that issue. Zotero was supposed to be this terrific free thing for keeping track of academic papers and their citations. Run by a university, or started at one.

Oh, finished all of the reviews (yes!), only one dropped. One other one had been lost almost immediately last year, so I grudgingly re-wrote it because I still have enough of the details in my mind. The one I just discovered — no trace of a memory and no sketches or anything else.

Today I have a long list of small projects to keep moving forward. Also have a couple of exciting work possibilities in play. And a conference call about this trip to Oakland next week.

Which reminds me, EG, watch your Private Msgs over the next couple of days …

EG, re: writing, Pirandello would "audition" new characters on Sundays. That's how he came up with Six Characters in Search of an Author. So you're in great company and when alone be as crazy as you want to me.

Still crazy myself,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7.8 & 0 0 0

Postby Lynx » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:41 am

Hello,

Got my email boxes to 0 0 0. And I'm stepping away from email for a few hours.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 am

My friend Susan is asking me about my writing and encouraging me. VERY MOTIVATIONAL My nano numbers up to 13,000 which is on schedule. That's mainly because I'm editing work that's close to done. But 5000 of that is new work - first draft. Still, I'm happy.
I got a doctor's order for an X-Ray for my hip. I'm cautiously hopeful.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:47 pm

My Nano friends aren't posting any more. Other than that, Nano is great.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi, guys. Just stopping by.

Lynx, thanks for the SES reminder for July 1st. I just filled in the first 9 days of July as well as I could. Hopefully, I'll get back on track to doing it daily.

I'm still doing really poorly health-wise. Every once in awhile I have a couple of good hours and wonder if maybe the new meds might be kicking in. Then a few hours later I'm back to being in tears and helpless. Needles to say, still very fragile and unstable.

I am getting a few things done here and there. At least that's something.

I'm trying to be kind to myself and not scold, push, and criticize myself for being sick and not being able to do things. No good role models for that. My family was very harsh and critical when I was sick, as were both husbands. Now, unfortunately, I carry on their bad behavior by following their example.

I am having some success in being kinder to myself. At least I'm developing some awareness of the issue.

All my love to my trouper/steppers.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for checking in, Inspire.

I was wondering how you were doing. Good wishes and prayers to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Hey Inspire,

Thanks for the mention and for checking in. Whew, what a false fate you've had with being sick! There's a Samuel Butler (I think) novel where being sick is a crime. Seems he might have modeled it on your husbands and parents.

Erewhon (Nowhere), 1872.

“If a man falls into ill health, or catches any disorder, or fails bodily in any way before he is seventy years old, he is tried before a jury of his countrymen, and if convicted is held up to public scorn and sentenced more or less severely as the case may be. ... But if a man forges a cheque, or sets his house on fire, or robs with violence from the person, or does any other such things as are criminal in our own country, he is either taken to a hospital and most carefully tended at the public expense, or if he is in good circumstances, he lets it be known to all his friends that he is suffering from a severe fit of immorality, just as we do when we are ill, and they come and visit him with great solicitude.”

I forget if he had a remedy in the book, but in life there may always a be a switch. It's never to late to be sick AND loved at the same time.

We love you,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Interesting. Just as drug abuse is a disease, they call punching someone in the snot a disease. On the other hand, a disease isn't a disease. That's sort of like the Old Testament days when they believed that, if you were sick, God was punishing you.

I'm glad I'm over 70.

I''m steppin' along - 17000 words- so far on target. the part I'm working on now is really hard for me. There's a quote on Nano from Maya Angelou " “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. Sometimes the story you most need to write is also the one that most scares you—and that’s all the more reason to write it."

That's what I'm doing. I hope she's right.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories