August 2017 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: August 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Elaine, I was planning on checking in on you on a regular basis and, alas, I have not done that.

Still battling the never-ending depression and making very little progress. Not a big fan of the new meds, but there is nothing left for me to try. I've tried it all. end of the road.

On a good note, I bought a piano! It will be delivered next Wednesday. I have lots more to say about that, but unfortunately, even writing a few sentences is taxing for me. So fragile.

I will try to stop in more often.

Lynx, I'm glad you're able to check in with Elaine through your journey. Sounds like it's going well. Good!

Elaine, good to see your progress with the hip project. I'm praying for it all to go well. Good for you for continuing to write, write, write. I find that inspiring. Even though I'm doing nothing creative myself, it helps to know you're out there plugging away at your craft.

Elaine, Lynx, and anyone else lurking here, I hope to be well enough to participate more in the near future.

Love and Peace, Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

31 end of the month

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Back home, only thing left behind was a cheap rayon bag! Quite good for 29 days. Brought only a pair of fingerless gloves with Pakistan leather to match the full-fingered leather gloves with hides from the same place I got 30 years ago. Both bot on St. Marks place in NYC.

Boulder was fun. Treated to mineral hot springs pool and a couple of nights at a resort. Lots of meals at restaurants. Mixed, of course.

Stumbled on a great quote for the opening of a thread. My very next 'step' is to get that up for Sept.

Inspire, stick with it. I think the piano will bring you much joy.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:37 am

Closing out the month. While traveling read about Stoicism nearly every day. Yesterday I got Tom Wolfe's A full Man expressly for its section of Stoicism. Oh man, a 700 page book. Wolfe clearly has a good time writing, not sure about his editors having a good time trimming.

Turns out, he names his chapters and puts the name of the key Stoic philosopher there in one chapter for all to find. Page 397. Thanks, Tom.

Also like combining thing so I crossed Stoicism with writing.

I'll stroll thru point by point.
Building a writing habit
I believe that building a regular writing habit can lead to writing success. The Stoics love a good habit, as Epictetus explains:

“Every habit and faculty is formed or strengthened by the corresponding act – walking makes you walk better, running makes you a better runner. If you want to be literate, read, if you want to be a painter, paint. … So if you like doing something, do it regularly; if you don’t like doing something, make a habit of doing something different.”

Clear enough,

To the page!

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: August 2017 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Some Augusty reactions:

"The remedy for anxiety is action."
Works for me -- when I do something.

A friend had hip surgery recently -- the new-fangled non-invasive kind.
He said that by the time he got home from the hospital that same afternoon, that he had less pain than he'd have in years. And it just got better from there.
Only problem with recovery was that he felt so good he kept being tempted to do things he wasn't cleared for. But he persisted.
By the second week he was regularly losing his cane after he absent-mindedly walked away from it. They bought more canes to scatter around the house.

I feel like I missed something about the "new, more fun way to write." Though I was reading when tired.

Inspire: Do you have a happy history with pianos?

My brother Kevin and I had piano lessons for some months in elementary school. Teacher’s analysis was “They have ability, but not interest. I recommend spending everybody’s time on something that is interesting to them.”

Hmm, see the piano teacher gave stoic advice.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories