Sept. 2017 Daily steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Sept. 2017 Daily steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:26 pm

September already???? How did that happen?

Commit to taking some steps each day toward your goal, and share your progress. We'll cheer you on and commiserate when it gets tough.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 am

Hi steppers,

I've suddenly find myself very busy working for lucre again. All different and taking me into fresh places. Two I'm working on till finished, one is for 6 months. Plus another I will follow up on. Framing my time as 6 days weeks, Mon - Sun. This week I'm relaxing on Monday.

Today: also have many other ideas from my convos while traveling and wondering what to do with them. I don't have time to write them, so I've been thinking about Sarah Ruhl's books: 100 Essays I don't have time to write.

Taking my lightweight Alpha Smart on my travels via ferry to sprinkle a departed friend's ashes.

I'll do what I can when I can. I'll call this "scrapnel" writing.

To the scraps,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Sept. 2017 Daily steppin'

Postby Lyndon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:21 am

I've been having unexpected trouble doing Lyndon-nourishing things the past couple months.
Some reasons are more reasonable than others, but it's a relapse that has gone from "coincidence" to "habit."

For regular nudges I signed up for Barbara's Survival Guide for Dreamers daily emails. And promptly didn't open the emails for most of a week ...

Next up are Trust your reasons for wanting a dream and Why do we resist doing what we love?

Most of this is not astonishing new information, but I can use more reminders than I've been giving myself.

And now off to AFK for tasks in 3 different adjacent cities. With fun company! But today's step is to write a daily step goal before midnight.

x
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 am

Howdy,

Hi Lyndon, you have a great trip in 3 cities and full success completing your tasks.

I'm emotionally tidying up ... repacked several file boxes today, jettisoning pounds of dead weight to make room for the burst of activity that begins in earnest tomorrow ... even sewed a rip in my pocket shopping bag.

And finished a few minutes ago skipping through Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full. Looking for the parts about the Stoics. I'm reminded how sharp a writer Wolfe is and will pull down from the library shelf some of his early reporting to re-read.

To my dreams,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 am

Yes!!!! Thanks for posting everyone.

Thanks for the hip comment, Lyndon. I do get the new, non-invasive technique, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm having a bad dose of sluggishness right now. And yes, seeing all the cool posts was a pick-me up. (When you have "get dressed" as the first item in your to-do list, you know you're in trouble. But since getting dressed involves putting on shoes which involves bending my hip it's the chore I hate the most. The other things that involve bending my hip, I just don't do anymore. So, Yay, hip surgery.)

I'll try to have an active day, just so I can post about it.

Happy steppin' (in so many ways.) everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am

Hi, Inspire,

I'm still pulling for you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm

deleted
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Howdy,

Well, new project has launched ... of sorts. Had a first meeting today and laid out the work schedules.

Feeling lots of energy to just keep checking off little things ... like the laundry (done) putting food wastes in the canister … ooops, wrong bucket, put the scraps for soup stock out instead. Oh well.

Still knocking around the stoicism stuff. Turns out Mr Wolfe helped with the resurgence with his 1998 novel. Tonight looked at a couple of interviews. He tends to repeat himself ... oh well.

There's a annual design festival that runs from this Saturday for two weeks. Laid out my selections and hoping to get to as many of them as I can.

Plus a scattering of projects for pay!

To keep things interesting, the temp reaches 90° tomorrow.

I'll cope,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm

HI, Lynx, Sounds as if you had a great time traveling. Have fun with your projects. Please share whatever you can with us.

Me - hoping for good stuff. When I stop writing, it's hard to get back into it. So right now I'm stuck and trying to get unstuck. Great night's sleep last night, so today might be more productive.

All of my non-computer friends are having surgery, it seems, so mostly we're comparing notes. Most recently - two knees (on one person) and a carpel tunnel surgery. Both doing really well. So I'm still excited my surgery coming up. I'm probably too cocky about the whole thing, but I guess that's better than being scared @#$#-less.

Happy stepping everyone. (In my case - happy limping.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 am

Saw my physical therapist yesterday. I'm less cocky now, but I'm still happy that I'm having the surgery. This isn't exciting stepping, but it's the steps I have to take right now.

Tituba wrote about the time when the Boards were new, and people were doing exciting amazing things. I want - so badly - to post about that, but for me right now it's just baby steps with writing, baby steps with walking, baby steps with ick-list chores. That's the only way I know to get anything done. And looking back, those baby steps have led to success, not mind-blowing Oscar-winning success (yes, I do want that.) but completing things that otherwise might have ended up as half-finished projects.

To the rest of the day.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 am

p.s., Lynx, did you enjoy Everett & Jones?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi folks,

Elaine, I'm following your journey into surgery ... and out the other side. Spirits help with healing, so keep them up.

Re: Ernest and Jones in Oakland, yes, I got there. My friend put the name into her GSP and ended up at another branch. We worked it out. I think it was OK, probably less stellar than I'd expected from all the hype. I've eaten at two places Presidents have eaten this summer, E & J in Oakland, Lou Mitchell's in Chicago. I'm not impressed with the tastes of our Presidents.

Today we got out early to get on line for the last half-price day of the Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirrors exhibit at Seattle Art Museum. Got there at 9 am, the tickets went on sale @ 10. Slowly walked the line and around 1 PM got out tickets for 3 PM entry. Only 2500 tickets, and at the start we were #900 in the line, and each person could get up to 4. So, it wasn't a foregone done deal.

Enjoyed the exhibit. More waiting in lines for 20 second or 30 second peeps into some rooms. People were in a good mood, so hanging out was rather fun.

Also slipped in a 90 minute meeting with a client while my S O waited on the line. All in all a satisfyingly exhausting day.

A bit more work and a play to review tomorrow,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 pm

It's Everett and Jones. not Earnest and Jones. Typo or wrong restaurant?????

Thanks for the good wishes about my surgery. I'll keep you posted.

Can't wait to get really tired from physical activity.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10 typo oops

Postby Lynx » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 am

Hi,

Everest vs Earnest ... A typo. Thanks for the correction. Answering fast and not from around Oakland, so the name is not in my daily vocab.

Facing a stack of email ... about 40 I think, which I'm handling next. Later today I'm going to find out what's happening with my credit information because of the Equifax theft. It was them right? Allowing plenty of emotion and lots of time for that one.

Otherwise merely puttering about ... reversed a box to prep to ship some books, washed leather sandals with saddle soap mixed with a little vinegar to "freshen" their smell. They were stinky.

A trip to Trader Joe's to restock all the stuff I had eaten down to none before my travels. Need easy lunch stuff, some breakfast items, trail mix supplies, etc.

Looking out at the upcoming days to decide how to live with my biorhythms all declining at once. I know to be extra attentive and single minded. A while ago during an all-down slump I walked away from a boiling pot of tea only to have my boss return to find her pot burnt out in a smoky kitchen. It's a thrift store pot she scrubbed back to serviceability, but still I saw my difficulty and know I have to think ahead, think clearly, and think about one high-risk thing at a time. And allow for plenty of rest times and sleep.
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:20 pm

I enjoyed the Dare To Soar telesummit yesterday -- the first harvest of this year's Write/Speak program.

http://barbarasclub.com/telesummit/

Got a bunch of new ideas to think over.
At the moment I think the page is in the awkward stage after the event, but before recordings are up.

Weather is way less icky, and today's humidity is supposed to come mostly as one quick thunderstorm, rather than being sweltering all day.

Getting closer to reading the daily Dreamer's Survival Guide emails promptly, often same day.

And resting.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories