Sept. 2017 Daily steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

23 - up early again

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 am

Hi,

Yes, Elaine, speedy, steady, recovery. Maybe listen to songs that refer to walking, running, riding, swimming. Hm,

Gary and the Peacemakers, You'll never walk alone

Edwin Starr, 25 miles from home

Nancy Sinatra, These Boots are Made for Walking

Inspire, keep at your daily piano efforts and experiment with any adjustments you can try.

Re Me: You'll see a really early posting time for this. Bit of a rhythm from the past couple of days. Thursday up around 5 because I wanted to, Friday because I needed to, and Saturday because it felt like time to get up. Naps make this doable.

Today I'll step away from the projects to get a battery put in my laptop (reminder: back up) and shop for food, and organize my space.

Can't really get away because projects are ambiguous and complex challenges. Thinking and feeling my way through is something that just lingers about.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Sept. 2017 Daily steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Lynx - I've always liked those songs. Never thought of them as encouragement to walk.

Good luck with your projects.

Me I can walk like a little bunny rabbit (a bunny rabbit with a walker.) Walking is the easiest part. Standing up and sitting down is a lot harder, and getting in and out of bed is almost impossible - hurts like a @#$#@$#$ and takes about as much planning as the invasion of Normandy. Tom is rising to the challenge of caretaker. He's made me a bag with pouches to attach to my walker so that I can carry something. Most importantly, he has risen to the challenge of keeping everything clean.

I've been out of the writing mode, and it's really hard to get back into that. Which is too bad, because I have nothing but time on my hands and if I could just get started, it would be wonderful.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Howdy,

Elaine, keep at those bunny steps. It's wonderful when people around us rally to our aid. Don't wear it out.

Re writing: try recording if possible. Then either transcribing yourself or getting someone else on board.

Myself: daily talk with self on getting this load of work done. The project moved back our first due dates by 3 weeks to allow more outreach. Still working out how this juggles everything else.

Been thinking deeply about how we will reach agreements and deal with disagreements. I've been thinking about this most of my professional life, and had a flash of ideas of articles, diagrams, and guides to search out from my files. Found them all. At about 3 AM last night (took a nap).

Went to sleep happy and tired.

They're in a pile now to be indexed, found or remade on the computer, prepped and polished, etc. But it's soothing to know they are all collected and where I can reach them.

Tomorrow, off to a workshop on this very topic, so interested to how it pumps up my ideas.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

26 Steinbeck Notes

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 am

Hello, again.

Body Notes: have had an odd pain in the shoulder for weeks. First thought I slept on it funny, now feel it might be a bite because I leaned on a wall and had a sharp pain. Hm.

Arm works well enough and slowly getting better. Go body.

Steinbeck notes: Continual dialogue tween and amongst (spellchecker doesn't like that one) pressing on now, vs resting, vs effort on another project, vs. entertainment and distraction. No rules for this, but can't take too long to decide either.

Reading about story and narrative design as a side channel for inspiration on my main project.

Have an "urgency sense" that prods me forward. Gets me out of bed, even, when my feet start flitting under the covers. There's a random sense that I'm not much aware of that leaves my shoulders hunched and eventually exhausts me. I wondered: do I need this? If so, how much is minimum, or optimal, or ideal? What are the nuance differences among these qualities?

Also on the todo agenda: I'm debating whether to join Reddit, specifically for the sub-reddit of Stoicism, 61 K readers.

There's also another tiny forum I found with under 30 members.

I've seen lots of warnings about Reddit, but one of the Stoic virtues is indifference to the actions and words of others since they are beyond your control. The Reddit sub-r seems well moderated and all of the comments I've seen so far well within the redetiquette boundaries.

This is in anticipation of Stoic Week in the middle of October (10-16 to 10/20, or till 10/23 if you will go a full 7-day week, as I want to).

Lynx

Items on the list take longer than they appear.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 am

Inspire: Hope for posts that last long enough for me to read them. Take care.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 am

(Spoiler: Things got better.)
Around the time of my last post we got a form letter from the building mismanagement company that "Government Inspectors" would be coming.
(Re mismanagement: About once a year everyone gets a letter from the gas company that the gas is about to be turned off as it hasn't been paid in months. Some gets a wake-up call to "management" and it's taken care of for a while. --- However the friends we are staying there have been there for over two-dozen years in a rent controlled area, a mile from the beach -- so have a huge discount on rent compared to anywhere nearby.)

Some tiring days of preparing for a quiz without knowing what the questions are. Did I mention that housecleaning is not an enthusiasm for anyone in the apartment.

It turned out to be one cheerful building inspector (rather than a plurality of "inspectors"). By the time of his arrival the living room looked like a normal person's living room, and not an obstacle course, hallway was clear, etc. A few reasonable requests, and on his way. Whew.

Now catching up on work, sleep and life other than apartment reformatting.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:22 am

Daydreaming: Life Coach Tim Brownson mentioned talking with parents who mentioned their child daydreamed a lot. “You must be so proud of him!” he blurted.

They were confused, coming from a world view that didn’t regard daydreaming as highly as Tim did. He tried to provide context, but this was not the most successful match of clients and coach.

Skateboarding: A major fraction of what little I know about skateboarding comes from checking out some EMILY THE STRANGE books from the library. Unless Wally also has magic, they are unlikely to be great reference sources.

Elaine: Saying “hope you get hopping on recovery” seems not quite on target, but good for you and Tom.

Lynx: Speaking of 3 AM – do your projects tap in to “things you do when you lose all track of time?”
A few times I was at 3 AM because of that. Not as much as I would like, because of caution about day job.

For some reason my brain wants to work out that Team Stoic cheerleaders would be like.

Continuing to enjoy and appreciate the daily email prompts of Barbara Sher's Survival Guide for Dreamers: Getting Past Procrastination & Resistance One Day at a Time, which I don’t get to daily, but at least a few times a week. “Don’t be ashamed of your resistance.” Another was on the joy of small actions. “Explore the small, almost unnoticeable things you enjoy,”

I’ve read this kind of thing before, but haven’t been self-reminding myself as much as I’d like.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Lyndon wrote:Continuing to enjoy and appreciate the daily email prompts of Barbara Sher's Survival Guide for Dreamers: Getting Past Procrastination & Resistance One Day at a Time, which I don’t get to daily, but at least a few times a week. “Don’t be ashamed of your resistance.” Another was on the joy of small actions. “Explore the small, almost unnoticeable things you enjoy,”

Is this from the Barbara's Club thing?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:36 pm

This daily email is a separate thing than the "usual" Barbara's Club.

The Hanging Out has 3 emails/week first year, and 2/week second -- and lots of suggestions, and comments (and comments on comments on comments) and videos.
Year 2+ also has 6 group phone conferences a year, -- which are a delight and encouragement even when I'm mostly doing the audio equivalent of being a spectator.

The survival guide is not with a group. If I had started with that, I would have been spent time going "Huh?" and being disappointed. But at this time it is well worth the $2/week for reminders, gentle pushes to move -- or relax! Sort of like hearing friends' voices out the window. Even if I have the ughs that day, it's a lift for the reminder and encouragement that it's not just me.

I get more bang from my buck on the 16-week classes and Hanging Out -- but need to Do More to get more benefit. This keeps being a small, appreciated puff of a breeze and course correction, which is small enough to enjoy even when I'm in Overwhelmed mode (as I have been much of this summer.)

http://barbarasclub.com/survivalguide/

" One day at a time for a full year I’ll be with you via a brief email, helping you get past the procrastination and resistance that have kept you from achieving your dreams. That’s it. No exercises to do. No discussions to keep up with. Just an email a day to encourage you and teach you how to deal with whatever prevents you from going after your dreams."

"You need someone to be there with you every day. You need someone to remind you that it’s wonderful but frightening to go after a dream that really matters to you. And the more the dream matters, the more dangerous it feels"
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

28 shfiting times

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 am

Hi everyone,
Lyndon:
Lynx: Speaking of 3 AM – do your projects tap in to “things you do when you lose all track of time?”
A few times I was at 3 AM because of that. Not as much as I would like, because of caution about day job.

For some reason my brain wants to work out what Team Stoic cheerleaders would be like.

I semi-lose track of time, yes. I'm aware of how quiet it gets and a feeling of getting a jump on the next day's work. Also, that my sleeping cycles will be scrambled for a couple of days, and if my time is free that's really fun.

Re: Team Stoic cheers? The Serenity Prayer—made much of in Anonymous groups—is pure Stoic Philosophy.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

A Cheer?

Serenity, serenity,
that's the key!
What I accept
is up to me—

Not sure of the next stanza.

Decided this morning that now is not the time to add anything. I need things removed from my life. So will not join Reddit, but will lurk and share any curious tidbits I find, especially during Stoic Week, which I'll be dallying with Oct 16 - 22.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello, everyone,

Slowly but surely, I'm getting stronger. It's still really hard to get in and out of bed, and the physical therapist is working on that with me - which hurts like @#$@$#@%. As far as writing, I'm sticking a toe in the water, but I can't seem to keep myself going. I'll try to get a couple more steps done when I'm finished posting here. Really really tired today.

Lynx, good stepping with your projects.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Have a few moments, so volunteer to set up the October Thread.

Elaine: Slowly but surely, I'm getting stronger.

That's the spirit. Keep at it.

I'm having a generally good run at several tasks. I just signed on for a conference in 2 weeks; 2 days, and I'll stay overnight at an Airbnb though it's just 30 miles from here in Tacoma. The state is sponsoring it and the admission price is "a canned good" for a local food harvest.

This falls at the beginning of Stoic Week (10/16 - 10/22) and with my other general uptick in business I think I'll sign up and make it my own Stoic 3-Weeks. One reason I'm doing this is an astrological column from August which I clipped because I was dealing with Stoic something nearly daily:

Sagittarius ... A philosophical approach to life is the very thing that will put you ahead this week. It will also serve to distinguish you from the howling pack whose insistence on taking life too literally is a threat to the forward progress of all. Do not hesitate if you feel the desire to stop and smell a figurative rose along the way. Rest on your own skills and abilities on the 31st and never mind those who fail to see the wisdom of your ways.

I had to smile,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 am

Giant step backwards. I did a lot of stuff yesterday, and woke up in bad pain today. The problem is - I'm not sure what it was I did yesterday that caused all the hurt. From now on, I'm not going to take any pain killers before physical therapy.

I can't wait to have more interesting steps to share.

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:47 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I can't wait to have more interesting steps to share.

You will. We're here knowing that you will be back to writing soon. As far as the physical stuff goes, think of all the 2 steps forward, one step back you've done with your writing over the years. The same thing will happen with the physical -- one step back today, but two steps forward next week. When we say, "Keep on steppin'" we actually mean that literally this time!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:53 am

Elaine, this might be a fun time to reread the quotes in the Quote of the Day thread. Jason posted one that I really thought was funny by W.C. Fields. It might apply to your current situation!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories