Playing piano after 15 years

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Playing piano after 15 years

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:10 pm

I bought a digital piano. I live in an apartment. Being able to play with headphones means I can play 24 hours a day without bothering the neighbors.

I have not read the instruction booklet. There are many things that I could do with it eventually, but for now I'm just going to play it.

People ask the difference between a digital piano and a keyboard. A digital piano looks and feels like an acoustic piano (that's what they call regular pianos now -- acoustic). The case is wood and you wouldn't know it's digital from looking at it. It has some features like a UPS connection to hook up to your computer, etc. It has much fewer "bells and whistles" than a keyboard. A keyboard usually allows you to make it sound like a wide range of instruments besides just a piano sound. Lots of other stuff also. A keyboard looks like what it says -- a keyboard -- that sits on top of a stand. Keyboards can be carried around and set up wherever you want them. A digital piano, while weighting significantly less than a regular piano, still needs two people to carry it and set it up. A regular upright weighs about 500 lb. A digital piano weights around 100 lb.

So, that's the information I gleaned when researching whether to get a digital piano or a keyboard. (oh,yeah, and keyboards cost much less than a digital piano).

Next step. Playing it. I had lessons for a year when I was 8 and a year when I was 12. Then a couple of 6 month stints with 2 different teachers over a 20 year period. Then I started playing seriously and starting to compose. "Life" intervened and I haven't had a piano or played at all for 15 years.

Starting over. I still have the books I learned from so I'm starting right from when I was 8 and I plan on working my way through to see what I learned and more importantly, how I learned. I'll say more about why the "how I learned" is important.

My goal for now is to do something piano related, 20 minutes per day, 5 days per week. It doesn't have to be playing. Today I read through one of my sheet music books to get an overview of what pieces I might like to learn.

I'm starting all of this after a year of major depression so it's going to be a slow process, but having a piano in my living room is the first big step.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Playing piano after 15 years

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Have fun with it.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Disturbing thing. Everything sounds out of tune to me. It's upsetting. I think it might have to do with my hearing loss. I'm going to have to hang in there with it. It has been 15 years since I've played. Also, I haven't listened to music in 15 years. I stopped listening when I stopped playing. I use to have a good ear. Now I don't know what is going on.

I'm putting in my 20 minutes a day, but I'm not enjoying it at all. I'll hang there and if it gets any better. I know I need to get a better headphone, but I don't think that's causing the problem.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am

I have one, too. I bought it for my daughter many years ago. It feels just like a piano (88 keys, as well) and sounds like one, too, from a distance. It can be set to sound like other instruments such as organ, flute, electric piano, etc. You can also set the "room." This can make it seem like you're in a lively concert hall, for example. And it comes with a bunch of "pre-recorded" piano classics, which you can play along with.

I wonder about how everything sounds out of tune. You suspect the headphones. But it could be a defect in the amplifier circuit. Does the piano have its own speakers? If you can listen to it without headphones, then you can figure out if it's the piano itself or the headphones. Also, another clue that it's from the piano is if the intonation varies as you adjust the volume. If the piano is under warranty, you'll want to know right away.

Another idea is that there's a setting turned on, like tremolo or reverb, that alters the tone so that it seems like it's out of tune. And with your imperfect hearing the effect comes across as an intonation problem. Thy to find those settings and turn them off. If you can make it sound like a flute, try that, too. Flute is the most pure tone. It might even have a pure tone mode, which would be the best test of intonation.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Good ideas, Square Peg. I've only played with headphones so the first suggestion I'll try is to see what it sounds like without headphones. Since I just got it I haven't experimented with anything. All I've done is play. I'll come back and check out your other suggestions. the idea of trying the flute (if mine has that option) is an interesting idea.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:13 pm

What brand is your piano? Mine is a Kawai. I bought it specifically because it's the only one out there that allows you to change the tuning and voicing. However, I haven't even opened the instruction book yet. Hopefully, you will motivate me to do that!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:21 pm

It is "Roland Digital Piano MP-70"

It has adjustments for tuning and temperament.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:08 am

Hi inspiresuccess!

Congratulations!

Here is a link with tips on how to improve your hearing with nutrition:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... aring.aspx?

JazzMuse
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:57 pm

JazzMuse wrote:Hi inspiresuccess! Congratulations! Here is a link with tips on how to improve your hearing with nutrition:
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... aring.aspx? JazzMuse

Hey Jazzy, Good to hear from you! Hope all is well. Thanks for the link. I didn't know there were food factors that affect hearing. I'll check it out!

Love, Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 am

Interesting. Eating lots of green leafy vegetables is great for a number of other things, so I can't see a downside to the article. If anyone reading this finds that the article made a difference, (or didn't notice anything) please let us know.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories