October 2017 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

October 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Lynx » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Hello and Welcome,

When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself. ~ Isak Dinesan

That's basically our take for this thread. Doesn't have to a great and difficult task, either, to join us. It could be a small-&-easy-but-too-often-put-off task. It might be a needed appointment that you've been dreading.

Bring it out into the open so we can support your progress.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1 ~ A out of B days Strategy

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi,

I've been in an interesting puzzle the past several weeks. Way back during ancient times I had time. Got seriously involved in pitching against the windmills of insanity that is city governance and services. Especially took a shine to changing a few bus routes.

Now, not as much time, AND several people remember/remind me of this bus thing AND I am the 'leader' for this effort, for right now. AND I do have lots of ideas I've been careful not to write down (evidence).

I have today, tomorrow and Tuesday to plan all for myself. Here goes:

On two of these 3 days I will act like Sarah Rule (100 Essays I don't have time to Write) or Maria Popova (Brain Picking). My Working Title: I Don't have time for Bus Routes because I'm getting Paid.

The Minimum about of time or achievement is: One actual contact with another people (email sent, call, or meeting) or :30.

Reward for making it through: Free Music on Tuesday/Lunch Time. This means if I haven't done 2 of 3 days by Tuesday AM my last chance will be Tues. morning before the concert.

As ye are my witnesses, I'm on it ~ No Time be Damned!
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: October 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Ouch! Just got back from ballet class. I signed up for 12 weeks of ballet. I'm 62 years old. The last time I took a ballet class was 40 years ago. Ouch! But I enjoyed it and as I get more comfortable with it I will enjoy it more and hurt less. I'm proud of myself for doing this. For years I've been telling myself I'd like to take a ballet class again and here I am doing it. Now I have to go put ice packs on my neck and lie down! Ouch!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Congrats, Inspire. Wow! Ballet class. That's impressive.

Me - I need to make some progress both in writing and in healing. Right now everything looks yucky. I need a win. Oh well, when going through hell, keep going. This too shall pass. (great platitudes, no?)
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

2 - A of B ...

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi folks,

Done with the two days on busing thing. Decided on an email distribution list, and just drafted a few lines of introduction. Sh!##y right now. Tomorrow is a free-day, so I'll see what I feel up to.

Worked really hard most of the day and took a short 'nap' around 4 ... and woke up 2 hrs later.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3 - ballet lessons?

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Wait, Inspire took, is taking, ballet lessons? Whoa, that's amazing! I'm hesitant to go club dancing cuz I have no "steps" just sheer intention, and I can't remember line dance steps. So, I'm in much awe & support.

Elaine, still taking it easy I hope, and letting your body do its healing thing.

I'm particularly frustrated right now because one bulb is out in my fridge and replacing it is turning out not to be a simple matter. Trying to follow the directions, which naturally don't work as pictured. Have to call them tomorrow to discuss this.

C'mon designers, manufacturers, companies, make life easy, please! KitchenAid, this is going to cost you a star.

Just finished my credit freeze stuff (5 freaking companies to deal with). One threatened that a freeze might cause problems at point of sale. Really? Look, you, you're collecting information I didn't authorize to give me a score I had no hand in crafting to people who don't care crap about me personally, just whether I'm good for my debts. Now, when I need to protect myself because one of your peer companies let loose millions of records, I might not get access to use of a credit card. Whoa daddy. Thin ice here. That's all I'm saying, thin ice.

I think I'm calmer now and will attend to evening's reading agenda. Thanks for letting me vent.
G'Nite,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7 ~ sharpening

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 am

This week seems to have been about sharpeners and I wonder how far the image or metaphor will run in my life.

1) I decided to dig into the review articles on pencil sharpeners. The latest trend is getting a really long point on the pencil. There's a couple of two-step hand sharpeners I have been eyeing at the university bookstore. One of the reviews lamented about how great vintage Panasonic electric sharpeners were.

I happened by the university surplus store Tue. afternoon and in the office supply section was ... a vintage Panasonic sharpener! I plugged it in and tried it out on the two pencils I travel with most days: a Tombow Mono 100*, and a Blackwing Volume 24. It did a great job so I bought it. $1.

Check on Ebay and they go for about $15, without shipping.

Score!

* "This product is called Mono 100 because each lead core has 10 billion fine particles per cubic millimeter—or, one hundred 100 million particles (Side note: Japanese counting for higher numbers is based on four zeroes rather than three zeroes.)"

2) Taking part in a research project on cooking at home, and to spruce up a bit (the asked us not to, ha!) we had our knives professionally sharpened. Oh, boy, they're keen edged now!

3) I grabbed a short bit of 2 x 4 discarded lumber and finally screwed down my crank sharpener, Boston brand, that does a terrific job. I used to pin it down with my toes while I cranked. I now can use my whole knee or foot.

4) I'll go off to sleep asking myself, "What's ready to be sharpened in my life?"

'Nite,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 7 ~ sharpening

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Lynx wrote: I'll go off to sleep asking myself, "What's ready to be sharpened in my life?" Lynx

That's a question I'd like to ask myself. Thanks for sharing it.

It's always good to hear you be excited about things. Your enthusiasm gives me a boost when I'm feeling down. Keep up the good work.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10 New bulb in

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi,

The repairman just left and I have light inside the fridge again. Removing the lens was, as I suspected, very fast when you know what you're doing. He pulled it off, put in 2 new LED bulbs (good for 75 years if their claims are true) and put the lens back. Then he had me take it off and put it back. Shouldn't have to this again till 2092.

While here he pointed out some adjustments to do (use the humidity control during the summer) and answered our questions about our KitchenAid dishwasher. Turns out, we don't use the right detergent and also use too much of it! Det. we use are ecological brands—the machine is not designed for that. He also said leave bits of food on plates and dishes for the soap and spray to have something to grip. Plus need to check the hot water temp to make sure it's in the right zone.

Sigh, anyway, we're complete with this line on the list — Done!

Everyday it seems I must play with my action list. Today's experiment was to list everything. But I certainly didn't want to do them in order. So I numbered them. I also wanted to show degree of difficulty in an easy to get way. Oh, I know, playing cards! I kept the Aces for my personal rest and recreations (naps and walks) and assigned each item a number and a suit! The suits are ranked in degree of difficulty: Spades and Hearts are harder, diamond and clubs are easier. So at glance I can select for what degree of effort I feel up to next by fanning the remaining cards & picking spades or hearts if I feel energetic, or a club or diamond if I need to down shift.

Some friends are hosting a bridge game this weekend, might just go.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 10 New bulb in

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Lynx wrote:Everyday it seems I must play with my action list. Today's experiment was to list everything. But I certainly didn't want to do them in order. So I numbered them. I also wanted to show degree of difficulty in an easy to get way. Oh, I know, playing cards! I kept the Aces for my personal rest and recreations (naps and walks) and assigned each item a number and a suit! The suits are ranked in degree of difficulty: Spades and Hearts are harder, diamond and clubs are easier. So at glance I can select for what degree of effort I feel up to next by fanning the remaining cards & picking spades or hearts if I feel energetic, or a club or diamond if I need to down shift.

Lynx, I'm a slap dash, anything goes, giant mess step over it, kind of a person. Reading your ways of organizing yourself is like reading about a strange, unique species of animal that I have no concept of. Very funny and entertaining!

Best of all, it seems to work for you!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11 one way?

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi,

Inspire, I wish there was one way, but I must have dozens of methods. Like Maria Irene Fornes told her students about writing: there's a part of you that wants to write and part of you that doesn't. The writing part has to keep tricking the non-writing part. All of this variety is to trick the lazy and resistant part. I almost never try the same method of managing my action list more than 3 or 4 days in a row.

I had yet another meeting yesterday and may find myself with a fresh client after I get the proposal submitted.

And so, to bed with me, I need my rest.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the posts, everyone. I'm enjoying the piano, pencil sharpener, light-in-the fridge, ballet, etc. stories.

Me - I hurt much less than I did before surgery, even without taking pain meds. I can walk without a walker, and there are a lot of things that I can do better than before surgery. So life is good right now. Last week I went to a party feeling cocky about my walking ability. My friend slipped and fell. (didn't hurt himself.) I decided to take it easier, not wishing to be the next one falling.
Dial-a-ride is pretty easy to use. The bus comes to my door and takes me to physical therapy without any transfers and without too much waiting. So I don't have to depend on friends for rides too much. (At two appt's per week, I'd run out of friends pretty quickly)

Writing - as one of you posted earlier,- there's a part of me that wants to write and a part of me that doesn't. Boy - so true. I got a cool compliment. A friend asked me if I wanted to collaborate on her books. I want to work on my own things, but that's neat that she thought my work was good.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:40 pm

A friend is gathering clothing, etc. to take to victims of the fires. My big step for today is gathering items to give away. Two sleeping bags, a really nice leather jacket and five bags of clothing. The bonus to me fewer things to trip over. I've been kicking the sleeping bags out of my way for months now.

Happy kicking and stepping.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

16 stoic week begins

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 am

Hi folks,

After a nap, I'm up still after midnight.

Just about too much action for me right now. Stoic Week begins. All of the materials have been posted and how over 3600 folks worldwide will be working our way through the material more or less together. I skimmed the manual and left off on the instructions for the first day (Oct 16) to read when I awaken tomorrow.

I've also canceled a few plans over the weekend to work on client stuff and develop a pitch for new business. Considering finding an assistant to share some of the coordination of details.

Also, participating a study tomorrow on in-home cooking. Filled out a questionnaire about how ideal and actual eating routines. Could be a lot of fun. We're doing a pork sausage, arugula, pasta & cheese dish for the study. Learned about it at a cooking demo years ago and love cooking it. It's a bit busy, so feels like cooking. Lots to chat about with the 3 researcher. No, they cannot move in.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm

I NEED TO RANT! I have so many projects that are going nowhere. I was so frustrated with one that I finally sat down to the piano to take a break and found out one key doesn't work at all! i just bought this piano a month or so again. Haven't played it because of all these other projects I'm trying to do.

I got partial dentures. They hurt. I had them adjusted. They hurt. I had them adjusted. they hurt so much I can barely eat anything with them. I've been dealing with the pain so much I didn't even bother to see how they look. I did today. THEY DON'T MATCH THE SIZE OF MY NATURAL TEETH. Now I have to go back and get them to remake them so they look decent. I hope they aren't going to give me a hard time about getting the teeth remade.

I'm trying to get used to them by wearing them daily and experimenting with smiling, laughing, eating, etc. they hurt hurt hurt and don't look good. I won't go back to this dentist again, but for now I'm stuck with them trying to get them to make these things right. I spent all my savings and went into debt to pay for them. GRrrrrr................ I've tried to be patient about this but it's taken MONTHS.

At the same time I've been trying to get a DVD player to go with my new TV. I bought one. It didn't work. I thought it was a lemon. I bought the same kind a second time. I can't get it to work. It's just a DVD player. The picture instructions make it look so easy. I just ordered a blue ray dvd player. All I have are old exercise DVDs that I want to use. This project just keeps dragging on. I thought I could just get a cheap little DVD player for what I want but I'm stuck having the spend 2x the money even though I'll never be purchasing blue ray DVDs.

I want to exercise! I've had the TV for months and I still can't use my exercise DVDs. I still need headphones. I still need to figure out how to make the TV bluetooth so I can use wireless headphones.

TOO MANY PROJECTS AT ONCE AND ALL OF THEM ENDLESS AND NOT GOING WELL. AND TRYING TO TAKE A BREAK FROM IT ALL BY PLAYING THE PIANO AND DISCOVERING THAT THAT'S NOT PLAYING PROPERLY EITHER!

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I'm sitting here with my mouth in pain.

FUCK!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories