October 2017 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: October 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm so sorry, Inspire. I hope something will go right for you. You've had more than your share of problems. Kind thoughts - it seems inadequate, but it's all I have to give.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am

Hi, Steppers.,

Lynx, I looked up Stoic Week on line, and found some interesting thoughts.

"Sickness is a hindrance to the body, but not to the will.”
“Some things are under my control and other things are not.”
“Everything has two handles, and can be picked up and carried either wisely or foolishly.”
“Endure and renounce”
“Remember you must die.”

Inspire, more healing thoughts to you.

HI, Lyndon.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 am

I've always loved the idea of baby steps. I guess that's why I"m always on the stepper thread. So here's my huge baby-step experience. This is huge for me because it's my body that's involved, but maybe the concept will help someone else reading this.

A week after surgery. my physical therapist told me to do some exercises. I had taken a pain pill, but they were still really hard. The next day I couldn't get out of bed by myself and I was in worse shape and in more pain then I was the day after surgery back in the hospital. And of course it was demoralizing. Next session, I didn't take a pain pill, and told the therapist, "I'm not doing that."

Fast forward two weeks later. Different physical therapy group. They gave me a simpler version of the exercises that the first therapist gave me, and of course I could do them no problem. No wonder that first exercise wrecked me. Lesson learned - if you take steps that are too big, you will crash and burn.

Different note: I'm watching skateboarding videos on YouTube. Fascinating. And I'm learning the lingo - Front flip. Ninja kick Ollie, 180 pop shove it. So awesome! Sweet trick! Do I sound like a skate boarder? There was one video, where the guy did a double flip in the air, and on a different video, he jumped over a car while the board scooted under it. (that's a hippie jump) he got hit by a car several times before he mastered it. I had to watch the video a couple of times before I realized that he was doing this on a computer game and not in real life.

Happy steppin, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I'm so sorry, Inspire. I hope something will go right for you. You've had more than your share of problems. Kind thoughts - it seems inadequate, but it's all I have to give.

Thanks, Elaine. I just have to keep moving forward.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

20 quick note

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am

Hi folks,

Elaine, so true, getting the step right is key. I just went to a conference on the Toyota Manufacturing System (Lean) and how governments are using it. So vital that our Governor sponsors it & its free for attendees (they accepted donations of canned food for the local food bank).

One of the keynoters talked about "nudge." And that's what a good baby step is, a nudge in the right, healthy, etc. direction.

I'm getting geared up for an intense two weeks. Just today, cleared a couple of big things off the calendar.

I'm also taking steps to try some new (to me) technology, Zoom video conferencing. And maybe hiring an assistant.

Whew, a good whew! but Whew!
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi, all,

Just baby steppin' along.

Still having fun with the skateboarding info. Some of the skateboarding videos are amazing. Here's one of them https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view

I'm having fun writing this about my skateboarder.

My physical therapy sessions have an unexpected extra. I have a lot of time when I can write - waiting for the bus, lying with infrared or ice on my leg. And for some reason, I don't have writer's block at the physical therapy clinic.

I want to try something. My physical therapist lives in the same sub division that I do, and she said she added two pounds of earthworms to her yard, and her soil is now wonderful. You have to know that we have clay soil - it's so hard you could make pottery from it. So I'm planning on trying it. I can't dig a hole yet. I don't think my leg would like that. But as soon as it's strong enough to do that work, I'm going to try the earthworms. (unless I get tired of the idea.) But it should work. I'll plant the earthworms in the fall. Let them grow and multiply over winter, and hopefully by spring, my soil should be ready for plants. Right now, I'm accumulating compost material from my kitchen to throw in with the earthworms. I'm going to make mini-compost heaps where the earthworms get released - supposedly they like to be in colonies. So this shouldn't be the messy project that my other (failed) compost heaps have been. Anyway, it sounds like a fun experiment with minimal effort and money - so I won't be out a lot if the earthworm project doesn't work.

Good luck to you all.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi folks,

Stoic Week is over. Didn't have the quiet daily time I fantasized about, and the lack of a search function really hampered my use of the comments. Often the real connection with living a life is in the comments, as it's here on these threads.

Elaine, thanks for the compilation. Really liked the last one with the repeated fails. No pads, no helmets—gotta learn how to land from the inside.

Well, assistant hired and has come through above and beyond on her first tasks. This is going to be good.

Zoom.us account set up and took the training webinar today. Live! They run a lot of them. Turns out the CEO worked at WebEx for many years and saw how Web 3.0 could be better used for conferencing. Will practice with assistant and then take the advance training.

Let's see, have probably over 100 applications for 12 spots to vet over the next 10 days. Ah, work, at last!

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am

Yay, Lynx,

sounds like a lot of good things in the works.

Me - It's been a little over a month since surgery, which seems like a long time, but, in the universe of hips, it's not. I can walk about a half a mile without consequences (more with consequences) I can make all the movements with my right leg that I couldn't do at all for the first week after, and I can do them with a lot of range of motion. But I can't do them with any resistance yet. I don't plan to be the poster child (poster grandma) for new hips, but as long as i keep moving forward, I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I haven't been posting a lot because I haven't had much to write about. Hopefully things will get a little more interesting. (not a lot more interesting - writing still consists of sitting at the computer and typing for about an hour. Then doing something else, then back to the computer.)

Happy Thursday.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 25

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am

Lynx wrote: Ah, work, at last!Lynx

CONGRATS! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

26 at work at last

Postby Lynx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi,

Yes, Inspire, getting done to it! Feels both too much and I'm in the right place. No one better suited than me? Right?

Tonite, with so much to do, taking a cue from a slight sore throat and keeping it mild. I really like short pieces to read when super busy (something I discovered in college during finals week) as a distraction. Want to get in and finish and not be wondering what will happen to ... and drawn back to reading a story/novel/etc. So, with a laugh, I realized I have a treasure legacy from my family ... the collection of Mark Twain's works! 24 volumes, I think, with his personal [printed] signature in every one.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm also a fan of short stories. I read before bed, and I don't have the problem of staying up til two am wondering what happens next.

I've been hitting some pain these last couple of days, so I'm taking it easier. I hurt last night, but I seem to be fine today, so hopefully this isn't something to worry about.

Happy Halloween to everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi folks,

Bedraggled. A project I projected I wanted to take 3 days doing (vetting 120 application) has dragged into 5. Along the way I got an I ching reading: Entangled Exhaustion. Feeling it. I have 25 left ... for tomorrow at this point. My mind can't take processing more tonite. No nap today and I feel it.

Made serious progress on other points, and reorganized the work flow just for variety's sake. So that's something.

Now, for reading a few stories before beddy-bye.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories