Dec. 2017 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Dec. 2017 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:05 pm

HI, all,

MIL's memoirs were the best part of Christmas. Her first reaction was, "No one's going to read them." I know the feeling! But she did a great job of final proofing, so I knew she cared about them. And everyone loved them. Partly because they love her - nepotism is rampant in the family - but also because they really liked the stories. Other than that, she had a terrible time. We had tamales instead of turkey. She couldn't hear anything - Inspire, you'll identify with that one - and I translated a little, but a lot of it just got lost. She didn't like the watch she got. And we kept her out way too late, and she got exhausted. Please realize that this is someone who is always up and positive, and makes the best out of everything.

For me, I had fun with the grand kids prior to going up to the lake. And I had fun with the family. I like tamales, and I didn't know there's so much you can do with them. And I loved the relatives and the visiting.

You know how Barbara Sher always says that isolation is the dream killer? Well that's what I'm fighting right now. I got used to being alone while my hip was healing, and I'm experiencing culture shock being around people. I'm going to the gym today. The writing is slowing down to a trickle.

Kindle has an offer to edit with the hope of getting a pro publisher. I'm looking into that. I'm thinking of submitting "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles". Truthfully, both books aren't that great as far as professional publication. Some of the photos in the Molly book are professional, but the ones that I took are hokey. In fact that's one of the qualities of the book - it's hokey.

Also, I have a lot of items on my yuck-it list.

As I said, I'm hiding from responsibility right now, but responsibility has a way of handing out consequences if you ignore it too long. sigh!

Inspire and Lyndon, all that sleeping sounds wonderful. I feel so much happier and stronger when I get a good night of zzzz's

Happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:12 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, love "hiding from responsibility." Almost like it's an Evil Step-Parent.

I'm between my long needed resting stretch of days beginning around the 5th till now. 24 days. Ahhhh,

Plenty of developments that will ramp me up through June. June! No wonder I'm so slothlike getting rolling. OK.

I just looked at my first few Jan 2017 postings. What a start to an interesting year!

My many doubts about my chances of moving things well, or worse at times, getting bogged down with no help, keeps me from pushing off making needed next moves. Also, the sense that this rest time is ending.

Tho, after an exhausting day I seem to often recover enough overnight.

If no one minds, I'll like to compose the Jan 2018 Thread Opening message. I've got some ideas.

Lx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 am

Lynx, thanks for offering to start December. It's all yours.

Enjoy your down time. You've earned it. After that, enjoy the steps.

Nanowrimo has some support for editing and publishing. I'm looking into that right now. Also, I'm working on finishing the sequel. I have a couple more things to add to finish the story, and after that, it's going to be time to revise and edit.

Happy New Year everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:58 pm

I remember coming back from summer family vacations half a century ago and watering the back yard with a hose.

Water would go in -- and just vanished for quite a while. Then that section would finally have enough soaking for some runoff, -- so I'd switch to another part of the yardr, -- and by the time that was ready, the first area was dry and neglected-looking again. Finally replenished the local water table level.

Replenishing the resting level. Last week one day (that I neglected to circle on calendar) I went to sleep right after dinner -- and woke up rested and refreshed -- almost bouncy with energy and ready to go Do Stuff. Except that it was 3 A.M. on a weekday and we have a downstairs neighbor ...

But I've pretty well rested off the backlog and just sleeping as I go to stay current.

And the last three days in a row, after dinner I wrote on the game project, and mapped, and spreadsheet and stuff. Yay!

And looking forward to reading January stepping in few hours.

Elaine -- good on memoir. Regrets MIL didn't find as much enjoyment in tamales as other did. And looking forward to next installment.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

31 polishing off the year

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:26 pm

HI,

Found the last site to post to my perma.cc list (this is a project started by Harvard to keep a permanent record of any site you post to your account. Ten allowed per month, and I always make the effort to find 10.)

Also finished something of a Yuck List item: manually copies about 80 contacts from Skype to Google Voice. Turns out that GV is voice-over internet phone that's free and actually works. Skype is internet to phone that's $3/month that Microsoft recently improve so that it stopped working so well. Always happy to save money, and should have checked out GV long time ago as I knew about it. I thought you had to get a phone number, turns out you don't.

About 3 years ago I made myself something of an expert on a statewide issue. Some legislators are now dropping bills about it, and so I've offered to share what I know. Have to keep strong limits on my time with this as I'm far more busy now than when I began. It seems a waste though to not alert them to what I've uncovered.

Looking ahead, I see a ramped up January. I think I might reserve the final few days right now for rest. [penciled in]

Merriest of starts to a new Month, Week, & Year!

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories