January 2018 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: January 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 pm

lynx, good luck with Open Space. Sounds like a great experience.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1/27

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi steppers,

Yes, Elaine, the Open Space went well. One of my task as the facilitator is to be No Oracle ...

"Shouldn't we have a break for people to check out?"
No Oracle: No, each person can slip away when they want before check out time.

"Shouldn't we have a break listed."
No Oracle: No, everyone can find the time to take care of their own needs when it suits them.

"One person taking the notes is just that: one person's notes. Shouldn't everyone take notes?"
No Oracle: Not necessarily. If you ask them to, yes, but one set is fine. It's all voluntary.

What if I have bad handwriting?
No Oracle: Then don't volunteer to take the notes.

Will you announce the round changes.
No Oracle: No, use your watches and phones.

Whew, all that nay saying!

Really, really depleted this morning, but something I expected. Even expecting it, to arrive at the feeling of it remains it's own thing.

Along the way, the hotel (Marriott) cannot seem to get my payment right. I've tried to addressed it, my colleague who arranged the room (and paid for it on her credit card) has tried to address it twice, I've called this morning, and they are so confused! Checked my pending VISA charges and I'm seeing the wrong amount, double billed!!

Called this morning. No help. Calling someone higher up the chain of command later today. Then as high as it will take.

Alerted my credit card servicing bank and they told me how to engage their conflict resolution services.

Let see, corporations are this great, efficient, etc. assemblages of people who do things right! Every organization from schools to government should imitate their stellar example. They care about customer service (at least in their ads)!

Hm, then why have I had such difficulties with ... Hewlett Packard, Virgin Mobile, Marriott, Westinghouse/KitchenAid, and Back of America? I've escalated all the way to the CEO's office with Virgin Mobile and Westinghouse/KA. Brought in my US Representative to help with B o A. Gave up on Hewlett Packard and changed brands. And now getting ready to engage Marriott.

Non of these escalations needed to have happened if the reality exceeded the hype.

Never buy the hype.
R
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ah, Sunday

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:37 am

Hiya,

After letting myself just wander through Saturday, now back to getting some things completed.

Yukit List

State Taxes
City Taxes
about an hour each

Civic List
Have an idea to post a conference call number to invite neighbors to talk with me about transit issues in the 'hood.

Gig List
Have some notes to arrange and scan from the Open Space.

Condo List
Have a meeting to plan the annual meeting.

Self List
Lots of short breaks. Got a couple of easier reading things from the local univ library undergraduate division: graphic histories of comix & another of the invention of everyday objects.

Everything in slow pace.

All right, to the forms,
L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1/29

Postby Lynx » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am

Hey,

Taxes ready to mail, bills, paid, a note with payment due sent to and paid by my cousin (shared property taxes) and much progress on job tasks. All fairly slowly donely.

Today, still feeling depleted. Let's see: Friday, worked, Sat & Sun, 2 days to recover so far and still only maybe 65%.

I'm reminded how much I like graphic stories. Before Cliff Notes and Spark Notes I'd found Classics Illustrated. Fast and easy reading and yet you feel it's a bit more worthwhile than Superman or Archie. It's classic literature, for pete's sake. Well, sort of. Apparently there's an infamous denouncing of them from 1954. I think tunes have changed a bit because Harry Potter was more celebrated as good for getting reluctant readers to read.

Wikipedia: Classics Illustrated is an American comic book series featuring adaptations of literary classics such as Les Miserables, Moby Dick, Hamlet, and The Iliad. Created by Albert Kanter, the series began publication in 1941 and finished its first run in 1971, producing 169 issues. Following the series' demise, various companies reprinted its titles.

Yup, that's the one. Looking through my stuff while clearing out my room after my dad died I can't recall finding any. Guess they were handed-on or sold, or shudder, trashed.

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Lifelong Efforts Not to be Turned Around

Postby Lynx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am

Hi,

For a few years I've taken up an-appearing-to-others Quixotic idea of repealing an odious state law. Jokingly I'd say, I'm in till I die or it passes.

Heard the "Well, you are barking up a tree but the game won't come down" sort of comment when the focus was on the City Council and getting a resolution passed calling for a repeal.

In October 2015 the CC passed out a resolution for the repeal 8-1.

Next, onto the State Legislature. "Don't bother, with the Republicans holding the Majority in the Senate it won't get any attention."

The Republicans no longer "hold" the Senate.

A new, radical, Representative has dropped a bill to lift the ban.

The Leader in the Senate organized the original Tenants Union that "inspired" the ban.

There's a hearing this morning that I'll watch via video streaming. I've sent my thoughts and materials to my Rep's office and the leading activist group. Both houses are taking it up and there may be the first vote as early as Thursday.

It's enough that "you can't fight government" is an idea that's out there. It's just sad when it's your own circles who buy into it.

No worries, I sing out loud that Civil Rights song, can't let nobody turn me around!

Lynx

Consider always that "you can't fight City Hall may be a rumor started by City Hall." Audre Lorde
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: January 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:47 am

Wow, Lynx, so productive.

Me - well - um -

I've been writing every day,and exercising which is good. My calander is filled with Jerry-doodles - get it Jerry Seinfeld - doodles instead of Xs on my calendar. And yesterday, I decided that if anyone walked into my house, they'd think I needed to be put into a home because of the mess, so I got if from OMG! to pleasingly cluttered. (I'm exaggerting a little bit. It wasn't that bad.)
Two items on my yuck-it list - eye surgery and taxes. I don't usually start taxes until mid-March, so . . .

On the fun side, I've had some fun lunches with friends, and a party coming up in a few days.

The hard part about writing is that it's solitary work. and I do miss going to work in that I was always around people. One thing I've started doing is everey so often - about once a week - I"ll go to a restaurant, preferably an all-you-can-eat and take a note pad and write there. I hope that doesn't sound sad. It really isn't - it's fun.

My characters are in love and I'm having fun writing that. It's really hard. It's all been written before. And it's been a while since I've done the can-hardly-breathe-because-he's-so-amazing thing. So when i write it, it all seems ho=hum. But at the restaurant, I think I got a pretty good few paragraphs. Metaphiores that haven't all been done already to describe that giddiness. I may be editing it all later on, but for now I'm happy.

I want to take some Elderhostel trips, and I want to fix up my garden, and I want to get another dog. And the three are mutually exclusive.

Hi, Inspire, Lyndon, Square Peg, and anyone else who's reading this post. I hope you're all doing okay.

I'll start February's thread.

Happy steppin'! Also Happy Blue Moon!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories