March 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: March 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:31 am

Lynx, good luck (not that you need luck) for Monday.

My yuck-it list just spawned a litter of yuckies.

And I missplaced my cell phone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Found my cell phone. Made all the phone calls. Most of my yuck-it list will be finished b y Wednesday. (God willing and the crick don't rise.)

Biggies are taxes and police report.

And of course get a loit of writing done.

Lynx - more good luck to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

seven years wandering ...

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 am

Hi steppers,

Well, we held our condo's annual meeting yesterday. Perhaps the most momentous in the 36 years since it's construction. On the docket—first ever special assessment.

We have major re-cladding (siding) to do, and to do it we need to pay for it. To pay for it we need a special assessment, averaging around $30,000 per unit. Twelve units. For fun, our declarations state we need 75% majority vote. Each unit votes by percent of value calculated long ago based on view, size, presence of skylight, ease of using parking space, size of storage space, etc.

The owner of the largest unit made out that he was blindsided by the assessment and complexity of the project. This is unfortunate, as the association/board doesn't get involved in the disclosure and discovery of a unit's sale. That's up to the parties involved. I personally had no way or reason to know what he did or did not understand about the condition of the building & what maintenance challenges we faced.

He's also been here about 7 or 8 months, and many board meeting minutes have been distributed where this project is a permanent topic of discussion. He could have made inquiries, dropped in on a board meeting, etc. Young man, first home, not well prepped on condo ownership, poor advice and wrong advice, etc. Dang.

At the last moment he had many legitimate questions for his understanding. He wanted to back up to consider painting rather than replacing, and review in detail why we had selected the vendors and materials, etc. I took most of Friday writing a response. It's the first time I had all week as I'm doing a big work gig Monday and needed to prep and pace myself.

Also, one of the owners asked us to knock on his door to make sure he was up. Turned out he was sick, so I got his proxy (he approved) and had him sign it.

We had a rep from the building construction consulting company drop in to tell the owners directly what his company provides and why it helps us.

How many many steps over the years? And it comes down to a few minutes with some people not involved over this time who need briefing on the history of the journey and our careful and due diligence. And some here the whole time and ready to get on with it.

The consultant left. Motion to reverse decision not to paint. Failed. Motion to delay to give this one owner more time. Failed (the proxies expired at the end of the meeting, and the board shouldn't be expected to do this all again).

Finally, roll call vote on the motion for a special assessment with a 5 percent increase in monthly assessments.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, abstain, no, yes, yes, yes.

Percentage of ownership voting yes... 83% It Passed! This part is DONE!?

I've been waiting to exhale for seven years.

EXHALE, breathe.

Keep stepping, it may work out,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am

Wonderful news, Lynx,

I remember a lot of posts about how hard it was to get everyone at the condo to agree to anything.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yep

Postby Lynx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Yep, Elaine, that is what took the time. If we'd had a board that figured out how to bring it to a vote and weren't concerned with 100% agreement, this would be a done deal already and I'd be rolling in debt to pay back.

I hope it's beautiful cuz I can't afford to travel in my retirement. Siding rich, cash poor.

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:43 pm

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Home repair and siding wait for no man.

I have to do taxes, and I don't want to. Rant, rant, rant.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

have 2 due Taxes Too! Rant cubed

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:32 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: I have to do taxes, and I don't want to. Rant, rant, rant.

Totally onboard with this.Yet another "test." I've cut it up into 2 hours, 45 minutes, break, 40 minutes, break, 35 minutes.

My custom pomodora method

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories