May 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

released by a "No"

Postby Lynx » Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 am

hi steppers,

Had a fresh proposal to consider from one of the regional transportation agencies. Took a careful look at my materials, then a careful drill down to list what exactly is being asked of the pitch. My enthusiasm began to dip lower, and lower. I got a few index cards and put the requirements on them. Looking at the work to do all at once and my drive to do it dropped to Zero.

I sat for a moment, waiting, and sure enough, No remained the call. Even pulled a bead from my I Ching pebbles, and again, No was the answer. I Ching pebbles (glass beads) have four colors. There's 1 black and 7 brown beads, representing Hell NO, and maybe no. There are 3 clear and 5 red beads, repping YES! and maybe yes. I draw one from a sealed bag. It was brown, no.

Turkish proverb: When you see you're going the wrong way stopping is a gain.

Feeling the truth of this right now.

Learned a few cool things along the way that will be of great use.

With a freed up Sunday, I'm heading to visit friends and then shopping and them reading a novel.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: May 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 23, 2018 10:23 am

I'm really stuck. I've had a flu that's stuck with me for a long time, and it's made me lethargic and I'm sure I'm also slightly depressed.

I can think of two things that might help. 1 Go to the gym.
2. Go to my all-you-can-eat Indian restaurant with a notebook and some xeroxed pages of my book.
I'm posting here with the hope that it helps get me up and moving.

Both done, but it took me three days.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Try for a New Gig Starts Now

Postby Lynx » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, the vital part is you got yourself up and out however sluggishly.

My next goal: making a pitch for a fresh project soon, and today I start the composing. It’s been mostly sketches and idle daydreaming for the past few days. Sort of like flipping mental images of sequence and partnership of ideas.

At one point I said to myself, “This part I really like.” The pouring out of pure ideas. Everything feels open and free in my thinking.

There’s also a love of fitting something with many parts into the box of time offered. What to highlight, what to let be an undertone, what to let go. Ah, yes, even with open possibilities not every idea makes the cut, this time.

Another interesting thing I’ve started adding images or small icons to my descriptions. The first time I tried this (for a government department, so might have guessed) as I rewrote it through 5 versions the images I gradually let the images go. From originally having about 4 I think the final version had just one.

Still didn’t get the gig because of basic incompatibility between what I offered and the demands of the possible client. We imagined different work products and processes as we envisioned the Scope. Ah well. I got to practice a new format.

Last time I used Powerpoint for the proposal, converting it to a pdf to send. It allows enough flexibility for adding images and picture. This time I’m starting with LibreOffice. Since the first attempt at this I have stumbled upon the Noun Project which has thousands of Creative Commons icons for download and use.

My fingers feel warmed enough.

To the page,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon May 28, 2018 8:31 am

Hi steppers,

As I've spent the last several days in creative idleness, it feels right that on what others call a holiday I have work to do!

In my constant attempt to bring my expectations inline with what I actually get done, I always under estimate the time. I even put on a timer, work stead the whole time, and look up. The work seems so little (two pages of a flyer) and the time seems too long, 90 minutes!?

The time sinks through the little things like adjusting the position of a text box. This can take minutes. Is the lining the right thickness? Would adding color change the impact?

Shrinking the length of text is amazingly time consuming. To start with — the messy roughest draft might run to 75 words. Next swipe maybe 60. Getting to 50 words suddenly involves whole sentence rewrites, which changes the tone of the other sentences. Hm. Soon, everything is rewritten. Now around 54 words and it's time for a break.

More absorbing than a castaway puzzle and of use to me as something that might have a life rather than being tossed in the recycling bin at the end of the day.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: May 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi, Lynx,

I identify with your post. If you had to get the flyer done faster, you'd probably do it, but the result wouldn't be as good. And it's fun to mull over different colors, different presentation formats, etc. Makes it truly your work.

Me. I've been a total slug these last few days, and I now have more work to get doned today, than I can possibly do. I'll post more later. - probably much later.

Happy steppin'

It's later. And I got everything done except for my absentee ballot, which, hopefully I'll finish tonight, but if I don't there's still time.

And I got a little writing done. I read a bit of my novel to one of my writers' groups, and they liked it. WE're a polite group. We always say that we like what we hear, but I think they really liked it. And best of all I liked it. Lately, I've been really critical of everything I've edited.

So this is the most steppin' I've done in a while.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

june 2

Postby Lynx » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:55 am

Howdy steppers,

Elaine, I sense your action gears are revving up, slowly, but revving up still.

Today not sure what's on my list that'll actually get done. Know what I'd like to do: get an apple magic trackpad 2 battery checked out and replaced if need be, maybe get to breakfast with a friend, much puttering about the house (some veggies to slice and prep, straightening up a tad, etc). Maybe a farmer's market.

Also getting into the day with lots of little things, like entering receipts. For years I let them pile up and then starting in January I'd moan about getting around to them, and then from Feb on I'd start the sorting, totaling, frantically looking for evidence of major buys (hm, the receipt for the supercomputer isn't here, where did I put it?).

Now, I've been coached and nudged, and supported in putting them in more frequently. Up to me about twice a week, but at times, daily. When I'm traveling I put in receipts every day.

So now, tax time comes around again and I sort and total the columns and I'm good to go. All of the non deductible receipts are long ago discarded and I don't bother with the paper record at all. Ah, is this not progress?

The other thing I'm doing to warm up my day is copying off quotes from a book I'm about to lend to a friend. Well, maybe not lend, but pass on as I found it in one of those Little Free Libraries. It's an interesting way to revisit a book. If I'm in luck many of the quotes are already on goodreads and I can leave them there or copy and paste into my doc of quotes.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories