June 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

June 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:26 pm

It's June!!!!

Are you pumped up, stoked, excited, and ready to explode with creative energy?

Or are you sluggish, slumped, stumped and all but stopped in your tracks?

Either way, come post your wishes, goals, projects, steps, successes (big and small), and your rants. Well, cheer, support and encourage you.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: June 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm going to try a Nanowrimo goal for June. Not sure of how many words to do. ANd I have nine XXX in my story. An XXX is a place in the story where I need to do a major repair job, but I'm not sure how to do it. So my first goal will be to fix the XXXs. The rest of the book is in pretty good shape, so editing the rest should be pretty easy.

I hope I can step up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The 6th already!?

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:19 am

Hi steppers,

Haven't dropped by in almost a week. So, thanks Elaine for opening the thread.

My partner was away from maybe 14 days, so I've been enjoying solo living, more or less. Judith Voist wrote something in Redbook about when her husband was away she reveled in the freedom to make decisions without consideration, conflict, or compromise.

Yes, ma'am!

My last 'free' weekend a new friend had a crisis, so from Friday around 6 to Sunday around 6, 72 hours, I served as host and crisis recovery. Certainly not my plan and it took a day or so to realize how it had scrambled my sense of time (I missed a storytelling event because I suddenly thought it was on Sunday. It was on Saturday.)

It's also been curious keeping a rhythm going between comforts of home and trying fresh things. Three times I went to find restaurants for Happy Hour, one was closed for a party, another closed without explanation just that night, and the third had a shorter HH than is typical.

One actually was open and the food was really good.

So much for adventure.

Today, got out a pad and made a long list. A lot of the things I want to do are brief (send an email, track partner's flight). But there is always tidying up ... for 30 minutes tops.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm

415 words. FIve XXXs left. (XXXs are the bad parts.)

:D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Lynx, re what you wrote. It's funny how we need time to ourselves and timed with people. Hope you enjoyed your alone time.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

thurs 6.7

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 am

Elaine, I know about those XXX spots. So keep at it.

Feeling slower today. Have been getting really deep sleep but this leaves my body feeling weighted down. After about a couple of hours, usually, the switch is thrown and I have my typical pep.

Watching email in case I get a call for interviewing for a gig.

Mostly routine stuff like shopping and napping. Tomorrow back into creative steps.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

day dreaming

Postby Lynx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:23 am

Hi steppers,

I'm finding myself drawn to day dreaming. Right now, it's fantasizing I will have the leisure to attend many of the free summer music concerts stacked up for the coming months. I know this won't happens and there's a lot of work work I see ahead, and I know I work best leaving plenty of room for nothing planned on my calendar.

Still, it's fun to listen to the video/audio samples of the artists and make a decision only to leave it on the list or not. I give each at least 30 seconds. If I let it run past that maybe there's something there to check out at the live concert.

Many year ago I found Vicci Martinez who has since gone on to celebrity status by doing well on The Voice.

One summer she did her full set before a straggling audience of mostly street people and indifferent casual lunch takers. About 5 people really paying attention, and 20 scattered about. No matter, she put her all into it.

The next summer she had a better location and a much larger crowd.

The next summer was after her The Voice success, and you couldn't wedge yourself in! She almost cancelled, but one of the other artists swapped dates with her so she could make it. She even had security ropes up to keep her fans at a distance!

The next phenom might be among this summer's mix of performers and nothing would be more fun to catch a future rising star and tell people "I knew them when ... "

A worker can dream, can't he?
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:05 am

HI, Steppers,

While, you're daydreaming, Lynx, please dream about me finishing, or at least working hard on my novel. I'm steppin, but not cruisin' and groovin'.

On other fronts, I did my first lesson with my grandson. It started badly, and ended up well. He's ten and he's smart. I prepared to do a biology lesson. He wanted to study chemistry instead. I had him take pictures of twenty living things, and he did it, but didn't really like it. We printed the pictures. They're somewhere in the kitchen. This is meant as an introduction. Next I got a protist video, and he said he knew all about it after ten seconds. And so on. Meanwhile, his little sister, age eight, asked when she could get a biology lesson, so I gave her a turn with the camera. She loved it. She got her twenty pictures, made comments on some of them. and put them into a binder, "My lessons on living things " - her words, not mine. We talked about the difference between living and non-living. THen, I told my grandson that we could study chemistry, but I wasn't prepared for it, so he'd have to teach it to me. My grandson, got out a chemistry experiment about burning sugar to make a sugar snake, and we did another experiment where we made nitrous oxide, and absorbed it (adsorbed it?) onto carbon. My grandson explained that the gas was absorbed onto the carbon, the point of the lesson. So the day ended positive. AFter that, I showed my granddaughter the textbook's definition of living - eight characteristics - cells, metabolism, growth, reproduction, DNA, homeostasis, response to stimuli, and, as a group, evolution. SHe made notes. No, I didn't tell her to do that.

So I have an idea of where to go from there. By the way, these kids are both geniuses at sibling rivalry.

I remember that horrible lesson when I found out that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. For me it was after college, when I figured I was a genius, and the whole world was going to beg me to work for them. (didn't happen that way.) For another it was high school to college, big fish in small pond to pond with other fish the same size. I suspect most smart kids go through some version of that.

By the way, teaching is not my strong suit. (serious understatement.) I'd like to bond with my grandson over chemistry and biology. We'll see where all this goes.

BAck to the writing. BAck to the page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 am

I hadn't checked the quote thread in a while. THere are some winners there. One of my favorites -
"A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at." -- Bruce Lee THanks, Jason and Lynx for posting.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

14 lessons on learning

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Elaine,

What a great squiggly experiment you're having with your grand kids. Up or down, good or bad, it's contact and quality all through.

There's a great polyglot Lydia Machová whose youtube videos on Language Mentoring are all about self-directed learning. She says many people have sat through years of language schooling being taught the language and have less confidence and less to show than polyglots who spent months mastering a language. The biggest difference, for her, is that between being taught and learning for yourself.

Re: writing. You're in the tuff trough section of the U shaped motivation/achievement graph. I'm learning this myself from Daniel Pink's latest pop psychology book: When: The scientific secrets of perfect timing. Most of his tips I've discerned by reflection or earlier reading.

Slog on & to the tasks,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Yes, Lynx. My grandkids go to a Montessori school, and work well in a self-teaching situation.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:01 am

Hi steppers,

Today's recap: the experiment of using soling material to patch my slippers seems to be working so far. The basic idea is you cut out this material about half an inch bigger then the edge of your shoe, heat it @ 275 for 2.5 minutes, and quickly mold the pliant material to your foot while it cools. Next glue the material to the shoe.

First, I am patching leather prayer slippers which are very flexible and light. Luv them for travel. So I got the thinnest soling material. And it shrank about 70% the firs time I put it in the oven.

So I cut another one and tried only 2 min. in the oven. I watched it through the oven window start to shrink. But at 2 min, it wasn't so bad so I used it. Didn't cover to the toe but heal and sides are fine.

For the second slipper I just used the material directly w/o the baking part. Worked great.

It's also curious how different glues work. On the shorter one I used Seal Grip, and on the other a general purpose contact cement. The seal grip slides more at first, but if I let the cement cure for 5 minutes it's tacky as hell. Been wearing them all day and they're working.

I first read Michael Crichton's Andromeda Strain probably the year it came out, like millions of other folks. 1971. Actually, it was for a lit class. And I thought, if I could, I'd buy stock in this guy. Would have been a great investment: Westworld, Jurassic Park, Coma, ER, and on and on. Three years after he died he published Dragon's Teeth.

He died in 2008 (cancer) and his widow is putting together his Archive and maintains a site devoted to his life and work. Fun reading his short articles or essays. In the one on travel he talks about his writing process.

... to be continued,

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

I love the idea of patching shoes. Very soleful. I hate that we always have to buy new things instead of fixing old ones.

I too read Andromeda Strain. I know I loved it, but can't really remember much of it anymore.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

MC II

Postby Lynx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi,

Andromeda Strain was about a virus carried back to Earth or riding a meteor, I forget, that was difficult to contain. Michael Crichton (MC) noted in his comments that he was often asked if AIDS was the Andromeda Strain. No, it wasn't.

[i]I'll highlight [/i]some interesting points—to me—MC makes on writing:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/travels/

When I start a new book, I never know how it will go.
Some books flow rather easily, and seem to happen naturally, almost effortlessly. I just show up at the word processor and the pages come out. Other books are a constant struggle and each day feels like a battle, each sentence and paragraph hard won. These difficult books usually require extensive revision, and sometimes must be entirely rewritten three or four times.

This difficulty of writing seems unrelated to anything I can identify: my own preparation, my life at the time, the complexity of the planned book, and so on. Some books are easy, some are not. All I can do is begin one, and see how it goes.

Because I had never written an autobiographical book before, I regarded Travels with some trepidation. In truth I had been postponing it for some time; one of my New Year’s resolutions for 1986 was to get started on it, and I began the book on January 5 of that year, before I lost my nerve.

I soon realized this writing experience would be like no other I’d ever had. Ordinarily I work in brief, intense bursts, completing a manuscript draft in four to eight weeks, then setting it aside for many months, before doing another intense revision. After several such revisions, the book is either ready for publication, or so clearly flawed that I abandon it forever. But Travels followed a different pattern entirely. The first draft took six months, longer than any I had written before. The work advanced slowly but steadily, and I found it unusually rewarding. I finished each chapter with a sense of relief and even elation, as if I had been freed from some burden I did not know I was carrying. I felt invigorated, and emboldened to attempt more difficult episodes. So as I went along, Travels became more explicit and more personal than I had first imagined it would be.

Now, one of the odd problems of writing is that you cannot trust your subjective sensations about how the work is going while you are doing it. Of course, you have feelings about the work, but those feelings are constantly shifting: I am often wildly delighted and deeply discouraged in the space of a single day. In any case, over the years I have learned that nearly all the strong feelings I have at the time of writing are likely to be wrong. Because the sections that I like best—the sections that make me laugh as I write them, those paragraphs that make me pat myself on the back as I read them over—are the sections that seem cute and excessive a few months later, when I cut them, wondering why I ever thought they were any good. And conversely, the passages I dislike at the time I write them, the paragraphs that seem clunky or obscure, often look just fine at a later date.

So the elation I felt while writing Travels caused me to be suspicious about my first draft during the spring of 1986. I was pleased when, in early 1987, I picked up the manuscript to begin revisions and found I still liked most of it. …

Much to work with here,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

19 impulse to plus

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 am

Hi steppers,

For a brief moment several threads of my life are seemingly working. I know it by my body. This is actually a quite delicate time for me as my old impulse was to add on ... pile on the happiness.

It will pass so my attention and intention is simply to allow it room internally and when it goes await its return.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories