June 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: June 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi, All,

Interesting stuff about Michael Chrichton. I don't identify with what he wrote. If I like something, I usually keep liking it. If I don't like something, I usually have to fix it. Therein lies the rub . There's this big empty void in front of me, and from it I have to find the good stuff. But it's just a void, and I can't see the good stuff. Because it doesn't exist until i write it.

Today is a zereo energy day.

My other challenge is that I broke my glasses. Ruben glued them together for me, and it worked for a couple of days. Today they came apart three times. I have an emergecy pair - old prescription - for my glove compartment, so I don't get into an unfortunate incident on the freeway. I need cataract surgery, so there's no point in getting new glasses. It's easy surgery. I just have to do it. I put it off because Ihad questions, but I think I now have the answers I need.

So, instead of "to the page: it's "to the eye doctor."

happy steppin' everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 am

In the "Quotes for the Day" thread, there are two quotes about dogs. Appropriate, since the paragraph I'm working on now has to do with a dog.

I'm back in step with the writing, but geesh! Monday night, I spent two hours editing a couple of paragraphs. Then Tuesday morning, I spent another hour actually finishing the edit on the paragraphs. Three hours for about a third of a page.

My goal for June was to do a Nanowrimo, trying for 50,000 words. It'sbeen more like 2000.

To the page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 am

That lesson I wrote about earlier, when I thought I was God's gift to the world of science, and the world of science didn't agree with me. - well I thought I had gotten that out of the way. it seems that now I think I'm God's gift to the world of writing, and the world of literature doesn't agree. That's what yesterday and today are hitting me over the head with. (dangling participle included on purpose.) I may delete this in a couple of days, but right now I feel like I have to write it.

The lesson is necessary. I have to edit out the poor writing. But my ego needs a huge chunk of encouragement.

To the solitaire game.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

22 solstice

Postby Lynx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Ah, steppers,

That encouragement thing. I somewhat agree with Michael. I found nanowrimo a bit annoying because I zoomed up my totals with a lot of freestyle writing that felt wonderful at the time (making my milestones) but then later I didn't like maybe 60% of it.

About the 3¶ issue. Reading a nifty little book called Daily Rituals about the ways independent creatives get themselves into their work. Joyce once struggled with a pair of sentences for a long time. Someone wondered if he was looking for the right words and he said he had the words, his problem was getting them in the order he wanted.

Spent 6 hours today getting materials ready for a workshop tomorrow. Think it will go well, but you never can know. Working with people is not like performing on piano. With a piano someone is hired to get it in tune, with people they show up every which way and with luck by the end of my time they are a little more in tune than when they started.

To the start to summer,
L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

23 ~ A working day

Postby Lynx » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:53 am

Hi,

Quick mental warmup as I get into my day. It's 6:45 and I leave around 8:30 for my gig.

Working with and in front of people plays on different "muscles" than my daily life. What's the extra that happens or I fall in with that makes a day with a client wonderful? A few hours everyone will recall with joy and perhaps a whiff of awe? Even when slogging through decisions or hard yet required conversations, what is that out of awareness skill I allow to show up that stays emotionally buoyant?

Whatever this B factor may be named, I Welcome it always as my partner!

Eight deep breaths,

To the stage,

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 pm

By now you've already done your gig. I hope it went well. (I'm sure it did.)

My gig with my grandson is coming up tomorrow. We're dropping mentos into a diet coke bottle.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Concerning Nanowrimo, yes, of the 50,000 words I produce, most of it is really bad. The point is that all that writing, even really bad writing breaks up the writer's block. it's not for everyone. But it works for me. I'm just sayin' . . .
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

28 poof goes my time

Postby Lynx » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:22 am

Hi all,

Yes, the gig went very well. Despite ... hearing a mention of there would be 15 people I brought 20 copies ... just barely enough!

And, as always, some things run over time and I needed to think fast on my feet, which I did.

I felt so good about it I asked the executive director for a testimonial, which she promptly sent back. She and I are slated for tea later in July.

Today I'm dealing with an error by comcast when they put in their new switching box:: they disconnected the power or something for our building entry call box. A bit on edge as we had an issues with this thing maybe 10 years ago and had to replace the whole system, and it was a terrible pain to sort out what caused the problem and face the expensive remedy. I hope it is as simple as a power plug was not put back in.

Later today fly to a small town in the middle of the state for the last Open Space facilitation I'm doing for my main gig. Happy to get to this stage, it's been too much of a messy journey for my tastes.

Come back tomorrow night, then rest for a couple of day before digging into the Post-production stuff like organizing the notes and producing a "book" of the notes.

To the airport ...

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:34 am

Sounds amazing. I'm glad Open Space went well.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jul 1

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 am

Hi,

Started the July thread.

Still relaxing and recovering. Spent a 'listless' Saturday and many small things did not get done or remembered !! This writing things down idea maybe is more a crutch than an aid sometimes.

Several things are taking a summer break or even transitioning to their next phase for me next week so planning how that will work.

Today's goals: walk to return a couple of books to the library. Put away working materials no longer needed in the staging area. Poke around several books to see how much of them I need to read. Maybe watch a couple of youtube vids. In other words, not much.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories