July 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

the next hard thing

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi,

Angela Duckworth, the researcher who put Grit in play in positive psychology, insists everyone in her family, including herself, has a "hard thing" they apply themselves to.

I've tweaked this idea some because I have several "hard things" right now in my life: challenging work, recladding our condo, resigning leaders in our community association, and, as always, being a positive partner to my life partner. All of these are 'hard' but different days or even moments during a day require my full attention to a specific one of them.

So, I've come up with my "next hard thing" list. My task is always to have one hard thing "at bat" and to which I put my best attention. When I've move it some (hopefully with a home run) I pass on to the next and cycle through the list, over and over.

Today the next hard thing is alerting our mix of owners and tenants in the condo that when they spill something on the carpet, please clean it up. Related to this is I spent the past couple of days on a spiritual next hard thing (NHT) quest to understand how to migrate myself from someone who experiences resistance and questions as frustration to someone who maintains patience no matter what others do or say; or even don't do or don't say.

Tomorrow will be more about the carpet as I test DIY cleaners on a couple of spots and try to scrub stains out of the runner mat.

Tuesday, who knows? I pick the next one only after I feel I've gone as far as I could with the current one.

I'm reminded of William James's suggestion that everyday do something you'd rather not do. But I see now that's too mild: everyday attend to one thing that's hard and important. Stronger.

L

Brainpickings has a good summary of Habit.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Details

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm

The Tale of details, or The Tail of de Tales.

I'm using the I Ching as a coach in a book. It's wisdom to me is to mind the details, very carefully. It's also said solemnity and dignity would help things along, too.

All not in my usual tool kit.

So today it's been about details and after some worthless fumbling, I found my way to searching for copyediting and editing blogs. These are people who earn their moola via attention to details.

And it helps. I don't spring to the top of the class, naturally, but I do get a bit more accurate, or slow down some, or step back and consult a checklist, after reading this stuff.

Shift happens,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: July 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:48 am

Lynx, I'm glad you're having success.

Lyndon, I hope Nano is working for you (or you're working for you).

Me - I think I've finished all the hard parts. They still need a lot of tweaking, but the basic ideas are there, and they're not too boring or pedantic. That's my challenge - not to be boring or pedantic.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get hold of my gardener. He's very good and reasonable, so he's hard to get hold of.

My next science project with the grand kids will be sending a current through a glass of water to separate hydrogen and oxygen. They like the fun part of chemistry, but they don't know the basics. that atoms form compounds by gaining and losing electrons. (and sharing electrons) So I want to talk about that. Now, they're only eight and ten years old, so, it's not critical that they know this. It's just that doing the experiments without this basic tidbit of knowledge, seems wrong. What do you all think? Especially Square Peg, the engineer?

Good vibes to you all.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am

A success! I deleted my last XXX (parts of the novel that need serious revision.) It should be smooth sailing from now on.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

H20 fun

Postby Lynx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi,

Elaine, congrats on trimming back your work. Seems you gained bit of lift.

Re: the science explanation, yes, share it. Seems it might be fun facts for them to have heard at some point before the schools get hold of them.

For me, had to cancel plans and rearrange tomorrow to deal with attempted break-ins into my building. Why should officially permitted thieves (insurance co. raising rates, landlords raising rents, politicians raising taxes, etc) have all the fun?

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Attempted break-in???? Oh yuck!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

jul 22

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi,

We're getting more as the politicians have refused to enact sensible rent regulations which have led to the the blazing increase in homelessness across the country, my neighborhood no exception. Add in drugs which some use to cope/escape/for fun and geez dealers need $, theft should work, if it works.

So, yeah, door abused, entry call box pried a bit, mailbox tampered with. Door fixed, entry box left alone, and the mailbox is not fixed.

Part of the issue is the siding which is in dire shape and gives an impression of absentee landlord/no one really cares. Generates the "broken window syndrome." We're diligently stepping on getting this remedied. It's one of my "hard things." Final success is a long slog off.

Alright, enough of that stress.

Maybe today is for the "not that hard a" thing. Yesterday had almost such a day (dealt with the mailbox well) and today may get to hear some paid-for music if I want to brave the heat.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:20 am

Hi, All,

Sympathy vibes, Lynx.

I postponed my science project, electrolysis of water, with the kids for a couple of days. The project is a great learning experience. I learned so much!!!!! The trick is to do the experiment exactly the way they tell you to do it. I, of course, know everything, and can just do it my way. The project is to split the water molecules in water to produce hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. All you need is water, a 9V battery, wires, alligator clips to attach everything, upside down test tubes filled with water to catch the gas, and, since water is a poor conductor of electricity, you have to add something to the water to make it conduct the electrical current. I chose vinegar. it worked, sort of. At this point, Square Peg is probably laughing his head off. I fiddled with the clips and wires, trying to get it to work. Finally I remembered that acetic acid is a weak acid, and therefore a poor conductor. I added salt, and immediately, the project looked better. But it was still slow. (It's supposed to be slow, but you want to get something to work with before January.) I looked on the internet, and found out you need a lot more salt than what I used. Also, You produce chlorine instead of oxygen. I want oxygen. So I found a video that used baking soda. Anyway, I'll work on it today.

In other news, I'm working on the novel, but I'm bored with it. And I know that I still have a ton of revising to do.

Biggies on my to-do list.

Get the car checked out - appt. for Tuesday. done

Get the car cleaned. done

Cataract surgery - later

clean up mess created by science project - whenever done

keep up with Nano goals doing

I need a power nap. done

Have fun, everyone.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:53 am

Hi all,

Pow'r naps. What a funny idea, nearly opposites clashing, oxymoron-like. Still, I do my 20 minute nappies most days. Often they extend far longer because my bed is so comfortable.

Just added the free version of grammarly to my Safari browser and desktop. Will add it to Firefox (my main browser I write on here from) next, then chrome.

I'll see if it catches those pesky errors of grammar that sneak into my writing every day for everyday stuff like emails.

Also considering getting Pro Writing Aid ($175 lifetime license) because I need serious help at times and for less than 4 hours of a living editor's time I'll have a software friend.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:54 am

40,000 words.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

words, words, words

Postby Lynx » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:53 am

Hi Elaine, 40K Blazing!

I added Grammarly yesterday, and today disabled it because it seriously slows things down. The better way to use it is to draft the email, then let G. have a try, and not use the review-as-you-write function at all.

Like the Flaubert quote: Worked hard all day. In the morning putting in an app, and in the afternoon taking it out.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 am

Walking 10000 steps per day.
4-minute workout (see the BCN topic).
Decluttering.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:49 am

Hi, Everyone,
Very cool, Square Peg, keep steppin'

I'm dog, sitting. Kelly is a Papillon (mostly) (very cute). She's mastering the challenges of the doggie door, and has figured out that I'm the alpha (thank goodness. I was worried.) She knows how to use it (the dog door), but she thinks she should get a treat every time she goes from the house to the yard. (Not sure how she got that idea.)

Also, I'm editing. It's going well.

Tomorrow, Kelly and I will be going over to the grandkid's house for science.

Kelly is mastering the dog door; I'm mastering electrolysis of water. It's all good.

Happy steppin'

Oh, grammar question - is it gonna or gonna' (colloquial for going to) ? Is it steppin' or steppin' ? I wish I knew it all. My characters talk the way I do.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 pm

So, frustrating evening . . .

My printer won't work, so I can't print the directions for the kids tomorrow.

Also, Kelly, dog, knocked over the pitcher that held the dog door open. Now she's scared to go through it. Note, the dog door was Molly-sized. Kelly is much smaller, so she can't work the flap on the door the way a bigger dog would.

Rats.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:24 pm

WE did the science experiment at my house. The kids were crazy' the dog was crazy; situation normal. My kitchen that I cleaned up is now a mess again. Science is wonderful.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories