August 2018 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

21 Christopher Robin

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi all,

Just peeked at the trailers for Christopher Robin. I didn't grow up hearing these stories — I had to discover them as an Adult.

Which reminds me of a story ... I read The Phantom Tollbooth as a college student. When my friend and I heard that Norton Juster was just up the road teaching at Hampshire College, we decided to go meet him. The easiest way to do that was to put our names on his appointment sign-up sheet and show up at the appointed time. Which we did.

He looked from one of us to the other and asked, "Which of my classes are you in?" We said none, we were there to talk about his book. He said, "Oh, good. Otherwise you were in deep trouble." And we had a great chat. He wanted to know what it was like reading it at our ages (about 5 years older than his young young adult market). We loved it, naturally.

In real life, I'm prepping for a gig this Monday and coping with the rest as best I can.

G'night,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: August 2018 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Good luck with your gig, Lynx.

I've had some non=writing challenges - minor surgery, truck repair (a lot of truck repair,) unhappy mother in law, and just plain laziness. So I'm getting back into the rhythm of writing.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

27 nap and up later

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:46 am

Hi all,

I napped today after taking a long rambling walk to check on some Italian plums. They're ripe, but all of the low hanging ones are goners. So I'll come back with my picking pole claw thingy and even a small folding step stool. I'll try to be invisible.

Also found something that fit a search I didn't know I was doing. Hm, Is there a word for this?

Try again: Also, discovered a site that satisfied a search: a copyeditor at the New Yorker has a videopost series on what she does! I've been starting my days with looks into editing to sharpen my attention to details. Ah, this is perfect.

Gig from 3 - 7 tomorrow. All is printed and in the staging bag. Rearranging everything and double checking after I awaken in the morn.

Ta-ta,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Good luck with your gig.

Me - having a lot of trouble writing. Sigh!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8-28

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi,

The gig went great. Got to about the same content a powerpoint pres would have dealt with but in a way that made it vivid. Arranged for people to play various roles we might expect when we present to the local city council committee: Chair and 2 council member. Three people repped our team, and everyone else had a card asking them to pay attention to some aspect of the answers: brevity, pace, or content. Two people made 'comments' under the 2-minute limit rules.

Flushed out how under prepared most people were, though they've been around the organization in various capacities for years. People felt less fearful of the procedures they may face, though, and that was a win. Several said they enjoyed themselves or had fun.

I'm a bit bummed because somehow I lost my Apple ear phones with built in mic. $30 replacement. Tried to recall the last time I used them, etc. but it was over a week ago. Looked through pockets, bags, pouches, etc. I need them for conference calls, so I'll have to puny up the bucks tomorrow and get a replacement pair.

The missing pair? The Gremlins got 'em.

Sure puts a dimmer on the evening ...

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Annoyance: The Bed Pan of Patience

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 am

Lost my $30 Apple earbuds, as I mentioned. I have a guess where they might be: a friend's house where I help with editorial work. Or in a pocket of a pair of pants or shirt I wore briefly one day and then change out of. Or in a pouch or backpack. Know fer sure they are not in their "everything in its place" place. 
Really would love to wait it out and see. Go through a year's worth of clothes, and pop, they drop out of a pocket one day. Or my friend is back from her working trip to another state. But I will need them next week for a conference call. 
This got my annoyance spinning. It's much milder this time than in the past, mostly from my growing skill at talking calmly to my anxious states. 
My whole life annoys me. 
I'm annoyed that I'm much more "responsible" than 99% of the people I get to deal with.
I'm annoyed with my Life Partner's practice of beginning every conversation with something off—did I hear who died—can I help with a computer glitch—the food isn't 100% top restaurant perfect. 
I'm annoyed with my clients and their foot dragging, poor communication, and doublecrossing.
I'm annoyed with bills to pay. 
I'm annoyed that the system has required fresh debt.
I'm annoyed it's impossible to ever get enough of what I do really need.
I'm annoyed that so many systems in my life need top-tier attention.
I'm annoyed that I need to make lists, and lists of lists, and then keep track of them.
I'm annoyed I can't seem to knit together two days free of any annoyances.
Shimmer! OK. OK. Breathe.
Now, what's on the agenda today?
Lynx

PS Carlin on Losing Things
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ear bud part 1 2 3

Postby Lynx » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Replaced set, after market, $22.00. Works well enough.

Sigh, L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Pooped out.

I'll start September.

Sounds as if your gig went well. Congrats.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories