October 2018 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: October 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 am

Okay, here's my list.

Call nurse Elaine
Finish Weasel's ending.
Fix ALex's ending
WRite Wally's ending.
Letter to agents
synopsis.

All before November

ALL possible if I don't goof around.

Happy steppin'
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Update:

1. Walk (s) enjoyed.
2. Looking at applications due for grants. [begun, never as easy and when its only in me' head]
3. Making appointments (kept this activity to a min. during my staycation). begun
4. Picking up some work next steps. Doing.
5. Filling out an official form. Another Next Hardest Thing step. done and mailed
6. Reading some complex philosophy (Barthes, in trans. by Kate Briggs). begun
7. Taking in some sales. yes! 20% supplements; 20% off bulk foods.
8. Maybe buying myself a treat. (thinking of getting a cot that folds easily for Reiki trades (now use camp mat on the floor)
9. Mail a check. oh, that again.

Elaine, is this self nursing (your Nurse Elaine item ... )?

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

19 tiny bubbles

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi,

Had to replace both my bike tubes within the last month. Yesterday a flat struck while hustling to the light rail station. Locked the bike on a rack on a busy street and continued on on foot for 1.25 miles. Made the City Council meeting in time to share my thoughts with my elected reps.

As it was the front, or easier, tube to replace this time I did it myself with one of the spares I keep about. I found a spare that was unmarked in my tool box, so I just decided to check for leaks in all three.

Found one right away.

The other two were a challenge so I looked online for what other DIY bike repair folks do. They hyperinflate the tire and submerge it under water. Did that. The random one I found is sound. Finally, a tiny leak revealed itself in the last time.

Everyone is resting overnight. Tomorrow I tackle patching them. Turns out patches have 50% chance of success. Or so I recall reading.

This just in:
Max Clark, Bike mechanic since 2008.
Answered Apr 27, 2016

{How Many patches on one tube?] Once. A patch is just intended to bide time until you can replace the tube. That doesn't mean don't patch it twice if you need to. If you get a second pinch flat because your first patch wasn't secure then patch it up. Even a good patch job is likely to lose air fairly quickly in comparison to a new tube. Patch your tube then replace it asap. Most mechanics I know don't carry patch kits and don't patch tubes. We just replace because it is faster and more reliable.

Hm,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Sounds as if you''re buying a new tube.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

bike tubes

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi folks,

Today I awoke thinking I'd fill the morning with writing. Instead, sat reading a translation of Roland Barthes last lecture series. He tosses off insights it's taken me years to smoke out.

The condo situation stays messy. One owner had a new place, two more thinking of selling/moving. The board meetings as tense and divisive as ever. We're in for keeps. Not looking forward to going forward.

Re bike tubes: just checked my repairs and they held! I read once something like half of the repairs don't take. I marked them as checked and put them back in rotation.

The thing is, if I put in a tube with a patch, I'll just ride it till it fails. If I don't feel in the mood to do the work myself (it takes me an hour; a bike mechanic about 15 minutes). The money for a new tube, installed, isn't much of the issues—it runs about $20.

I'm post about 2 weeks of serious resting and brimming with energy. Probably overbooking myself but I'll see when the time comes.

After my grant application I'm writing is in better shape I'll share with a friend and go hunting for more to apply for.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

A run of Days

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 am

over the next week or so my biorhythms will peak. I'm not necessarily busy whatwith major projects going to hell and all. So it'll be a daily thing to see what holds my attentions.

I have stuff to do. I think the difference between busy and to do things is busy requires more creative performance or fresh thinking. Something to do is mostly showing up and surfing the flow.

The Big to do today to [I need something with a 'd' here] make a win is a group I'm supporting wants to make a big splash at City Council public hearing. I'm heading down hours sooner to scout the action and attend a background meeting by the city archivist. Then a few hours breather while I get something to eat. Then back to the Council for the dramatics of public comments.

Then home to rest & and celebrate our good showing.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:37 am

Hi steppers,

Had a rush job to get out yesterday and got it done in decent time. I'm looking to finish a grant proposal first draft today. Warming up with writing here and adding references and footnotes.

Funny, yesterday, I felt depleted after the sprint of that rush work, but I set a time for 40 minutes and dug into the proposal. And, whoa, a fresh zephyr zipped me along. Found a super title, cut out some dross, rearranged some things, and settled on what other points needed refining. Timer beep-beeped and I just barely allowed myself to stop.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:05 pm

I've been hit by a massive attack of the lazies.

I got a copy of The Writer's Market from the library and I'm starting writing letters to agents. The chances are about 99% that I'll get turned down every time. So i'm going in with that mind set in order to keep my fragile ego from doing a melt down.

Lynx, your condo stories sound $$^#@#$$#&*!#)!!!!! Owning a house and not doing repairs is crazy. And you can't do repairs if you just don't have the money.

Me - I'm mostly tied up with memorial services. I'm helping to set up a service for a friend who planned to take the end-of=life pill today. I didn't know that was legal in California, but apparently it is.

My writing is barely crawling. I just don't know what to do with Weasel's end. And writing to agents makes me realize all the weak points in my novel. Oh the doubting!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

27 end of life

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi Elaine,

How come nuthin is simple? Keep plugging through the agent search and noting where you think your writing is weak. If any prospective agents don't mention these weak places, quietly leave the list on a bus seat.

Re: I'm helping to set up a service for a friend who planned to take the end-of=life pill today. I didn't know that was legal in California, but apparently it is.

This is some heavy stuff! I'm supporting you supporting your friend, I guess. It's legal status is listed here: https://www.everplans.com/articles/stat ... egislation

Will you need special support for yourself?

Whatever the case, keep making space for your writing,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ha!

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:38 am

Hi steppers,

I feel at times that if I read widely enough I'll find someone who has expressed my fabulous genius insights way earlier and possibly in better words than I. When I do find such writing I have a mixed emotion of thrill and dismay.
The trill comes from finding a member, or perhaps, leader of my intellectual tribe. The dismay from wondering now what do I do with this idea I had.

Further reading finds either they developed it well and I sigh and determine that I'll send up a citation, like a trail marker, to show how to climb to the peak.

Or, better, they treat their insight as a detour, leave implications for further thought to their readers and move on to other ideas. Now I see an opening, and something of value I might add.

Case to the point: I'm preparing for a review of a Y York play, Framed, about artists and the acceptance of their works (meaning the criticism and selling of their works, I presume). About all I know about art criticism is Tom Wolfe's famous Harper Magazine article, The Painted Word, and someone named Greenberg had a lot to do with the criticism, and thus promotion, understanding, and sales, of modern art.

The philosopher Richard Rorty quotes a few lines from John Dewey's Art as Experience collection of lectures. These he gave as the first William James lecturer at Harvard. I know thy name, John Dewey. Written in 1934, I can start here with my prep work and come forward to recent times. I'll skip about the chapters and see what interests me.

First chapter I sense I'm possibly in for the whole book. Point by point, Dewey notes things I have recently felt I discovered that no else had noticed before. Like David Sedaris says a teenager feels about sex.

But Dewey is here on the page waiting for me. Art once was part of living but has been unraveled from the day-to-day. Agree. The needs of empire for places to show their rulers' good taste and the spoils of their conquests led to the invention of galleries and museums. Agree. Capitalism's ability to spawn freshly rich classes spurred the development of a separate art market for works which end in private hands. Agree. Because artists cannot 'scale' to mass production, they are shifted towards the margins of commercial life. Some even embrace this marginal position with exaggerated claims to a need for self-expression. Agree.

I'm on page 12. Sigh,
To my reading,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Interesting stuff, Lynx.

I've only had one art appreciation class - back in college. I still think that art is in the eye of the beholder, especially since the invention of the camera, and the shift from realistic art to art that expresses more than just what one sees. I remember in that art class, (which, by the way, was Heaven. I had four heavy science and math classes, and for my fifth class I got to look at beautiful paintings.) But I digress. Anyway, The prof spent most of the period projecting slides of famous paintings onto a screen. I remember one painting. It was a pile of brown cans. I looked and looked and didn't get anything out of it. Then the prof said, "And this, of course is the famous Nude Descending a Staircase" by Pablo Picasso." I thought that was pretty funny.

Except for "La Guernica" I don't like Pablo Picasso's work.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11/7 two days of conference

Postby Lynx » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:26 am

Hi,

Back from two days of a conference. Instead of getting an Airbnb like last year I commuted the 90+ minutes each way by bus. Seems to have worked. They shortened the conference to end at 3:30 and all the workshops were 60 minutes except for a few double session ones. No lunch period, really. I took mine. Seemed to work well enough.

I got hooked more the second day. Met in that sort of conference-meet mode several interesting people and swapped cards with a handful.

Thinking I may offer something next year. I'm exploring so much now that I can't hardly guess what it might be by the time the proposals are due.

Predictable tired (overly cool rooms, hard to hear at times, stale air, lack of exercise, and probably too little food).

Several project stopped, stretching out, or finishing up very soon. Several pending proposals for new uptakes. Still, look, my calendar is full.

Happy I took that deep rest when I did,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 am

Oops! Nude Descending a Staircase was painted by Marcel Duchamps, not Picasso. It was very controversial. Apparently a lot of other people saw a bunch of cans. I get what he was doing - studying the motion of walking down stairs. I still don't like it.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories