November 2018 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: November 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

WOW, Lynx.

THAT's amazing. Congratulations. I hope you're feeling exhilarated. I can't imagine the work that went into those victories.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah, feels pretty amazing to have both land, and on the same day!

Saw this blog yesterday and thought of us.

These Two Questions Will Help You Decide If You Want to Do Something

If this is too long, didn't read (TLDR): Here's the short version. A dad is talking with his son about his middle of the pack showing in a track race.

“I have two questions for you,” I said. “One: Do you want to do better?”

If the answer is “no,” then to attempt to coach would be a fool’s errand (a mistake I have made in the past).

“Yeah” he said.

“Here’s my second question: Are you willing to feel the discomfort of putting in more effort and trying new things that will feel weird and different and won’t work right away?”

That about sums up all the self-help books, coaches, therapists, and advice columnists core questions.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 am

That pretty much says it all.

I'm willing to feel the discomfort of putting in more effort . . . as long as it's hypothetical. Once I start actually putting in the effort - the lazies kick in.

To the page.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:49 am

But what is lazy? Why would we get lazy? Something gets heavy. But why? It's odd. It didn't weigh anything before, right?

If you suddenly get hungry, it means you need some food. So what does it mean when you suddenly get lazy?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 am

Gotta admit though, that's pretty funny.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi, Barbara,

It's so good to see you back on the Boards.

I call it the lazies. You'd probably call it resistance, boredom, or something else. And yes, lazy has negative connotations, but I don't mean it that way. I just mean that there's nothing actually happening to prevent me from doing whatever it is I want to be doing.

And did you see Lynx's last post?
I had 2, count em, TWO mega successes today. First, a resolution passed a city council committee to transfer property to a nonprofit I've been helping to get the city to transfer property to. Not the finish line yet, but still, a great moment.

And, drum roll, a major proposal to the county from an ad hoc team of 4 consultants (Consultants for Organizational Resilience and Equity — CORE) won the grant! We proposed $250,000 for a year, so it'll be interesting to see what the budget in reality looks like.

Virtual hug to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:13 am

Wow Elaine! These are great gains! Good for you!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11-21

Postby Lynx » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks Elaine for re-posting my Wins and Thanks Barbara for the cheerleading.

It's been one week since that Big Day. On Monday the full Council formally voted this into the budget. One of the nonprofits execs is taking the lead for drafting a letter of thanks to the council (I'm reviewing the draft today). In an otherwise very difficult year with lots of frustrations and set-backs it's refreshing to see some things go right.

I find myself in a weird period before the grant kicks in. Letting each day unfold before I have to return to all-out work mode.

Spending my remaining semi-free time doing whatever occurs to me to do next.

A couple of months ago I suddenly found many interesting books and journals in the little free libraries that people have placed in their yards. Then I found a couple of interesting theorists to study. Now I'm looking at the stack and thinking, Ha, maybe by June I'll wade through all of you. Might shift through and return a bunch to the free libraries.

Steps today:
Read that draft and make comments.
Begin exploring collaboration tools to set up for our team.
Finish one of the theorist's books and search out getting a copy to own so I can return this one to the library.

Added note:
The book I'm reading might be of help to support team leaders and members. It's Liz Lerman's "Critical Response Process." Lerman is a MacArthur Genius Grant winner, largely due to this method and her application of it in her work as a choreographer.

Have a wonderful holiday tomorrow,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Just re-read an old post where I wrote about Lynx's post, and I realized that it could be taken to mean that they were my wins. So - setting the record straight -

LYNX had TWO mega successes. First, a resolution passed a city council committee to transfer property to a nonprofit he's been helping to get the city to transfer property to. Not the finish line yet, but still, a great moment.

And, drum roll, a major proposal to the county from an ad hoc team of 4 consultants (Consultants for Organizational Resilience and Equity — CORE) won the grant! Lynx and cohorts proposed $250,000 for a year, so it'll be interesting to see what the budget in reality looks like.

So yay, Lynx, I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Me - I'm just under 25,000 words for this month.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby k8k8 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Thank you Lyndon and Elaine for the explain.

I find choosing goals from the million things i need and want to do, and then putting the goals into words, and then breaking them into steps, so ridiculously hard.

i'll just do this one;

November goal:
to read Refuse to Choose
k8k8
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:10 am

Hi, K8K8,

Defining goals IS hard.

Enjoy the book.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:31 am

Hi steppers,

Yes, the whole process of aspirations, goals, steps, actions, review, revise is fraught.

Once I suffered from succeeding triggering mania (it's almost a thing, the academic term is success triggered mania, STM). In the lit there's a question about the goals folks like myself set. To the level-headers researchers they seem grandiose, excessive, unachievable.

But, funny enough, when the leading researcher on STM began a treatment program she found STManic folks really stubborn about scaling back their goals. What she learned is that it's the goal that feeds the fires of desire and action!

Also, for me, my goals serve as a type of personal joke as I know they are over the top when I start.

For others, reasonable goals make sense because structurally in the legal, political, and social realms so much is being taken care of for them. Stephen Covey's dictum of not bothering with what you can't influence shows that his day-to-day life as a white male consultant was pretty cushy. He didn't have to contend with apartment owners cranking up the rents every six months, or even drinking water that might make his family sick or a political party intent on denying him his votes.

So much in my life is structurally harming that from time to time I take one up and take it on. Can I influence it? I dunno. If I do nothing will it harm me? Probably already is. Can I influence myself? Yes! Taking up the goal meets my internal standard of the type of person I want to express into our human world.

And sometimes these grand goals find a win. Can I help influence City Hall? Turns out, yes. Can I join with 3 others to win a large grant when I've never won a county grant before? Turns out yes. Am I feel succeeding triggering mania? Oddly, no. And this is a wonder and a welcomed change.

Thoughts anyone?
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:43 pm

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for."' - I forget who wrote that.

Really good question.

You got two major successes. And I'm so happy for you and proud that I could bust. And I do think sometimes, "If Lynx could do it, than maybe I can too."

The people who say, "If you just believe in yourself and hold on to your dream, you'll succeed," are the ones who have succeeded. I think there are a lot of people who held on and didn't.

I think we hang on to the big dream because we need it.

I've been reading a lot of WWII books lately. And I look at that situation, and if I had lived then, I would have thought it hopeless. I couldn't imagine beating Hitler.
I can't believe that Martin Luther King Jr. was able to do what he did. I would have said it was impossible. So there's a reason to hang on to the impossible dreams.

I think of all the time we've been posting here, and so much of that posting was ranting and complaining.

For me, the odds are against me. Even if I write something wonderful, and that's a big if, the odds are that no one will publish it, and if I self-publish, the odds are that hardly anyone will read it. I know this, and I have to remind myself of this, or I could crash and burn, and stick my head in the oven, and I have a gas oven. And, no, my writing won't have the impact of your wins, Lynx, but it's what I have to offer.

There are risks I won't take. I won't spend a lot of money on my writing, but I'll spend a little. I wouldn't give up a steady job to chase a dream.

And then there's luck. What do you do with that?

I wouldn't have had the little successes I've had without my friends. Temporary Address and The Molly Chronicles wouldn't have happened without all of you guys. I can, and do, complain about all my bad breaks, but I've also had some good things happen to me. I know I have to be happy and thankful for the little successes because the big ones may never happen.

I think, in the end, we have to try for the big dream, even if it doesn't come true, because of what you said. "Yes! Taking up the goal meets my internal standard of the type of person I want to express into our human world."
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:42 pm

This quote is meant for writers, but i think it can apply to other goals and projects:

"Something that’s perfect and awesome in your mind will often be stupid when you write it down. This is not a failure on your part, and it doesn’t mean you suck. It means you’re a writer, and you have begun phase one of making your story better. The moment you try to put things into words is when you find all the problems. That’s natural and normal, and every writer faces it." Andy Weir
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

11/26

Postby Lynx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

Do I know that feeling Andy Weir talks about. It's everywhere ... cooking, writing, anticipated "we have to talks" etc. Nothing flows out as felt.

Having toilet problems to address today. Probably replacing two of them (that's all we have). One now has the dreaded "out of order" sign posted. The expense of the parts plus the service time creeps up to the price of a new one. The current one also began to rust in the throat area. Not a problem functionally, just an eyesore.

Re: Andy again. I'm always reminding my SO that replacing the old with something new and thinking the new will be better is only probably true, but by not means certain.

I'm curious if anyone one would like to comment to enlarge this discussion beyond Elaine and myself.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories