December 2018 Daily Steppin'

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

17 another day off

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi,

Thought I'd get to some work writing today for 2 hrs. However, I read my Friday email messages and learned that a young person on the project lost her mother due to a car crash last week.

I'm feeling great sympathy and have lost my heart for working today on the project. To honor her loss.

So, just putting about.

Avoiding the page,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: December 2018 Daily Steppin'

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 pm

So much to do So little time.

We took my mother in law out to lunch today, which was a big deal since she hadn't had the strength to go out for a couple of months now. A really good time.

it's late now, but tomorrow - to the page.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Got back to my project for an hour today tween other projects. Felt really good. So, tomorrow, I'll put in more than an hour.

On my next major project, though, put in some good times. Trying like heck to find a report that was supposed to be issued Dec 1. Can't find it. So I wrote the office that's producing it. Learned it's been delayed. OK. There's a prior policy paper I can read in the meantime that the Gov. himself referenced in his highlights for next year's budget. Link didn't work. Wrote the office a second note to get help on finding this.

Thus is how I spend some days ... spinning!

To the page,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am

Just got some good ideas. Wish me luck.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Elaine, Good luck!

Postby Lynx » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Go!
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:14 am

Hi steppers,

Up fairly late last night as I enjoyed an afternoon nap. Began reading an article on translation but felt drowsy. So I stopped half way and went to bed. How fun to flip open my laptop and find it waiting for me.

This thing of living relents not, Luke (thanks Yoda). Somewhere Stella Adler says the words on the page gives you something to interpret; your talent is in your choices. And thus I feel with life, the talent for living is with the choices I make, others make.

I vividly feel my own choices. As I talk directly other people, I believe they feel theirs, too. What's interesting at times is that the further from this direct and personal connection one talks about people the less choice many people credit them with. Oh, this public celebrity did this because of X. Or, that cousin never stopped his abusive ways because of Y.

I believe this is a direct result of too much of the wrong type of education. Novels and plays are strings of choices of consequences; sociology and history and politics are strings of cause-effect. I leave it to your judgment which framework is presented as more 'truthful' and thus something to continue in the student's own thinking styles when out of schooling.

This oddness even surfaces when watching someone self-destruct in a movie like "Can you ever forgive me" about literary forger Lee Israel. A friend & I went to see it with, when I brought up the choice frame, ticked off all the externals that her unseen backstory had caused by her previous actions: alcoholism, job loss, late on rent, no money to take cat to vet, male privilege in the publishing world. Well, except for the male privilege part, the rest don't land on your stoop in one day. It takes work of avoiding choices (which is a choice) to sink so low. I lacked the energy to have yet another circling chat ...

Sigh, I can't go on like this, I go on (not original—more or less quoting Samuel Beckett—you see how it's done, Lee?),
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Somewhere on these boards, there's a quote that says, "Somewhere between cause and reaction is our choice." I don't have the words right, and I don't remember who wrote it, but that's the gist of the quote.

Funny you should bring up choices. I'm thinking about the ones I've made. Oh, heck, it's not something I should post on the boards. Too personal. Suffice that I want to make some changes.

We're having a quiet, and kind of sad Christmas this year. AT least I''m sad, and I think some of my family are too. I was feeling relief that I didn't have to do a ton of preparation for Christmas, and now - oh, well.

HOpe you all have a great holiday season.

Elaine
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Viktor Frankl

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:54 pm

The quote you were searching for:
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. Viktor E. Frankl

found: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/vikt ... nkl_160380
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ha Ha Ha — Inbox Zero no more

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi steppers,

In June and July of 2017 I was posting about achieving the goal of zero email in my inbox. Probably kept it clear for perhaps a week, ten days. Then went on vacation and shunted many regular feeds to a folder that I haven't much looked at for the past 16 or 17 months.

This folder now has about 3300 message. My inbox has about 2000. 5300 messages. And a busy 3 years ahead. The new inbox zero due date is now March 2, 2022.

Going through my messages in the filter pile is really fun. One or two send me off into reading fascinating stuff I have no further use for. For example, the leadership lessons from Jeff Bezoz's annual letter. Or 150 products that proved to be duds. Barnes and Noble's Nook, anyone? Some things get retired and then re-born, like the Sony Airo robot dog that just returned to market.

Another piece talked about Asos and it's struggles. I just discovered them, and I can see the problems (the site has a lot of things on sale or clearance). I found them when I was shopping for a new winter jacket. But I decided to repair my current oldest jacket and see how long it's going to hang in there. I probably won't repair it again (already spent more on repairs than I originally paid).

I have an interesting dilemma about setting goals. The local Tony Robbins group is gathering on Thursday to fire up his techniques for achieving our resolution this coming year. I use to run new years resolutions workshops and they were a lot of fun to do. I have a few things I'm unsure about and it might be fun to get help resolving them. Then again, really I'm enjoying just floating through my days right now.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

un-canon-ated Philosopher

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:04 am

Howdy,

Reading Stella Adler's book of lectures on the American Master playwrights (Odets, O'Neill, Wilder, Saroyan, Williams, Inge, Miller, & Albee). Each page I realize she's a better philosopher than all the usual folks put up as the canon for study. And I think the reason is she's really trying to help her actors get inside a script and discern it's spine, inside a character to know why they talk and act as they do, and inside a play to discover how it came to be written by that writer during that moment in history. She wants to be clear to get this into their heads and bodies and for them to take it further out onto the stage or screen.

I love the clarity. These are transcripts. She was talking. Short words. Short sentences. Direct. This is terrifically edited by Barry Paris. Came out after they had finished a volume on the European Masters (I haven't read it yet). In the gap Stella died but Paris carried on.

As I come up to a play I find a trailer or a clip, or if I'm in luck, the whole thing and take a look. I might not have to watch the whole show to get the look and feel of it. I'm in a rush to get back to Stella, so two hours here or there and I'll never finish the book. Some of the O'Neill, Wilder, Albee, Williams, & Miller I have seen. I did a whole summer digging into Miller for example. And about a month looking at O'Niell's work.

How will this really help my life? Don't know. I'm also curious to attend a recovery support group called LifeRing. How will that change me? Dunno. I'm reading group development theory that the LifeRing folks intuitively discovered. How will these three mix? Idunno.

Fun, huh?
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, Lynx.

I've been distracted with life cutting into my writing time. But when I did get some free time . . . I spent it watching TV and playing solitaire.

Motivation where are you when I need you???

Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:21 am

25 work days down, 5 to go. Very pleased that I've managed to do this well, including both the work and working well with other workers.

Very relieved that it's 5 work days to go.

Had a problem with my first direct deposit yesterday. After an hour on hold, two very helpful, and fun to talk with people in Human Resources and Payroll determined there were two problems. First, someone had been hasty putting in the change of status form for my job ending next Friday. This confused the computer and dropped me out of "regular employee for direct deposit" to "not a regular employee -- make a paper check."

The other was that no one had gotten around to approving my time.

I will find out which someone to talk to locally.
And though payroll is in Minnesota, checks get sent overnight.

Memorable job!

To be continued, -- but body has some I.O.U.'s to collect. Looking forward to being more interactive with the rest of my life after next Friday.

zzzzz
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

2018 Closing Out

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello 2019, Goodbye 2018.

Lyndon, I think you have just a few days left. Then lots of sleep. It's like a half grave yard shift your worked, neither full GY, nor clearly first in the morning. The body no like that, so sleep away.

Speaking of sleep. During a dash of spending we bought a new organic latex topper pad from an outfit that's only online (Sleeponlatex). Before I tracked them down we thought about getting another Duxiana topper (this would be our 3rd). Dux = $1350. SoL = $209. We got the 3", medium firm edition.

So far, heavenly. Just so accommodating. No aches, no pains. And funny enough, zero complaints from Significant Other. I'm not commenting on her no complaining as that will probably fire us her complaint meter. Still, I like this sound of silence.

Going partying tonight with a pack of poets. For me: limited sugar, no caffeine, & no alcohol.

Yet Another Sober New Year,

Have fun, keep safe,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories