March 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: March 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 am

I'm having trouble with the end of the story. There's a chunk of writing - about three thousand words - that is what I want to say to the world, but it isn't fun or interesting to read, not well written, and just stuck in there, and probably doesn't need any concluding - it's just there, but , if I keep it, I have to make it more enjoyable. - a little like making long division enjoyable. (And I'm someone who likes math.) The Wally Frobisher work is about 5000 words and is enjoyable to read, but needs a conclusion that ties it into the rest of the work. Word count isn't really a problem. A novel's length should be 60,000 - 100,000 or no one will print it. This has to do with the cost of the printing. My novel right now is 95,000 words, so I'm okay, but can't add much more to the story. I'm considering cutting those parts out.

Please note that I'm writing this mostly for my benefit, to see the words on paper /computer screen. I'm not asking for answers because that's something I have to figure out for myself. It's just good to have a place to define the problem. First step to solving a problem is to define it.

I'm noticing that writing for two hours during the day is the limit of what I can do. And sometimes it feels like too much. Usually writing every day makes it easier to keep writing, and when I stop writing it's hard to get back in there. But now I'll do a good day's writing, and then I don't want to go back to it. It's not like my day is so cramped that I don't have the time to devote to writing. I have tons of time. And sometimes I feel like I have to write this, and sometimes I feel like I'm delusional and have an exaggerated picture of my ability.

Have fun.

Elaine
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 pm

TWO successes. :D :D :

Vinegar kills weeds, and I like using that much better than using R**** *p.

WE gave my MIL a killer 99th birthday party. No mean feat since she gets tired pretty easily. RIGht before the party, she said she wanted to lie down. THEn she perked up when people started to show up, and looked like she was having a good time.

Yay!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

16/march

Postby Lynx » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi,

I'm back. Had one day of jammed stuff to attend to after another for nearly the whole week.

Elaine: re: party, wow! 99 years old. Counting down the days to 100. I think it was Mel Brooks or George Burns who quipped "I hope I reach 100 because very few people die after that age."

Re: story stuff. Stick with it, as you will, something is working itself out.

Myself, all my don't miss a day lists suspended from Wed to today, Saturday. Picking them up again tomorrow. Had the dickens of a time fending off my Significant Other's innocent efforts to get me to do things: read a draft, open an attachment that seems suspiciously like work. Nope, mostly, this is my day off. She does want to send an email tomorrow and would like my review. Sigh. I've delayed it as long as I can.

Tomorrow heading to the library last chance book sale. Wish me restraint.

The don't miss a day piece for taxes worked well to get my business taxes done by March 15. I mailed them on Thursday, the 14th, so as not to risk forgetting them on Friday when I knew I would be very tired. I keep feeling like I needed to do something with taxes for Thurs and then reminding myself that mailing them is a big deal.

Yesterday I uploaded the latest supplements to Turbotax. Today I moved my envelope with my 1099s and such from safekeeping to nearer the computer. Check & check.

Also today I let my mind wander as my feet did by taking a long meandering walk.

Yawning, so, to the covers,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

new name for method

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:28 am

Hello,

I've got a new name for my evolving method: Eye Cue™.

Here's the sequence: Original name: Autofocus, my first name, Eye 4 an Aye Queue™, and now Eye Cue™.

When I type in I use a drawing of an eye instead of the word, so it's now a rebus, and pun, and pointer to part of the original name (eyes can focus).

Thus ends my breather from addressing taxes for today,

To the forms,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:38 am

Hi, Steppers,

Lynx, you never cease to amaze me with your tricks to motivate yourself. Kudos!

I have barely started the dreaded taxes. Shudder!

Meanwhile, writing eludes me. I've decided that I don't know how to write and there's no ending that will work. There is some truth to all of this. My writing has a political element, and I get violently upset whenever I read the news. For a while I just didn't look. That really didn't help. it kept me from facing the pain of reality for a while, but, in the long haul, it just made me ignorant, and therefore weak. The Chronicle e-mails me the daily headlines, and I can click on the headlines to get a complete story. So that's helpful. I can handle that much news without going into complete meltdown. But, that said, I still don't know what to do with Weasel. And writing is not remotely enjoyable right now. But I know, that in the future, when I think back on my life right now, I will be disappointed that I didn't accomplish more.

Obviously, I'm depressed. There are times when denial and depression are a good thing. They protect us from problems that we can't handle. But I should be able to handle this.

I'm going to post on the gratitude thread, because I really need to look at the good things.

Oh, to end this with a happy note, I want to make my back yard into a good place for a party. The top half is pretty much weed free. There's a fire pit, a place for a table and chairs. Not sure where the barbecue goes, but there's room for it. I can play music, and there's room to dance if someone wants to. I have a swing that seats four. So I''m ready for a practice party.

Today will be devoted to serious house cleaning. Well - not that serious, but serious enough.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3-19-19

Postby Lynx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Howdy,

I've had an energetic afternoon attending meetings @ 4 and 7. Both went well.

Elaine, I'm luvving the concept of a practice party. We're also cleaning. I squeegeed the windows today, tomorrow I wash half out deck, and Thursday I'll wash the other half.

About the writing, you're in a trough, but you'll probably get out of it with a insight into how to fix your ending.

Me, as my taxes are ready to be printed, I'm giving myself some missed days. This is about the earliest I've ever done them. Will apply this idea next year. There are some things I could collect once a quarter to keep up. Or not.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Yay, for finishing taxes, and for successfully completing high energy work.

The grandkids are in a school play tonight which should be terrific and funny. It's titled "Monstersori."

In other news, I have a clean house, and I can't write worth beans. I wish my life were more exciting.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

3-22

Postby Lynx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 pm

The end of the workweek, almost.

I have a condo annual meeting tomorrow and I'm girding my girdles to keep my mouth as shut as possible. I'm far too crazy busy to get entangled, and my past efforts, I see now, might not have helped though I served with my heart full of goodwill.

Plus I'm tired, and I'm not able to carefully filter my words well when tired.

And I miss reading my books!

A walk, a nap, then printing out the materials, more cleaning (we're hosting) and keeping a quiet evening.

We'll see,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm

I am not quite back to reliable weekly stepping -- but improving. A lot of this is bright spring days and the temperature going up 20 degrees in two weeks.

Went to the first meeting of a new bookclub "The Swashbuckling Heroes and Heroines Book Club" (it does seem to be about the swashbucklers, rather than the books they read), -- and got invited to a second and have a recommendation to a third.

To be continued, more briskly I hope. More data needed.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

3-26

Postby Lynx » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 am

Hi steppers,

Leaving for a conference out of town that runs through the end of the month tomorrow. This will conclude one of the busiest's months of my recent life. With five days left to March, I'm reasonably rested and looking forward to the next several days.

I'm meditation in my morning sessions on "longing" and "belonging." Curious they share "longing." Look up: Different parents, oh well.

Three years ago I joined a team that distributed a few million dollars awarded in a housing scandal. Now, they've gotten more of that promised reward and the team is being called back.

I looked at my calendar and literally penciled in the dates.

Now what do I answer? I'm sitting with it all of today and will send my answer after I return on Sunday. For the "Do It Pros" its keeping involved, learning again in a group, meeting the team again, and getting updated on what is going on with the resistance to greed locally. I can also use the group to observe new group dynamics and practice some theory I've discovered recently. What a delight.

For the "You're Crazy Cons" there's that delayed-start contract 'win' that might fire up to lots of work in a short span, there's finishing the slow-moving report on leadership development, there's consulting with (which means research, writing, attending meetings, advocating) another client, and there's all the things I want to enjoy that I keep putting off: playing bridge, reviewing plays, doing a bunch of nothing, my own writing. Picking up a book and settling into reading it for an hour or two at at time. Ah, that makes me so happy.

Pro: Yet, connections and "showing up" leads to more paid work, and with the uncertainty about the big win client, I am ready to do smaller projects pending developments if someone of the team connected me to the work.

Con: The paid work you have now is well into extra innings. You're 65, doesn't that mean slow down, not add on?

Pro: Ya know, I worked, but between you and me I mostly worried, as a consultant all those years and really tired myself out. Began collecting my social security checks at 62, and look, I get to re-tire myself all over again!

Con: Humpff. Lynx — take us out,

To the page,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 am

Hi, Lyndon, it's good to know you're with us. Here's to warmer weather.

Lynx, Your pros and cons contain a happy list of successes. You seem to be making it through retirement with a great balance of work and play.

I think about this every time I post here. Internet friends - When we post, there's so much information we can't share. I don't mean to too-personal, too-much-information stuff. But is he/she smiling? crying? Wanting/needing a push, or in over his/her head? So we usually encourage.We do our best. We give our best. Mostly we show up. And that's a lot.

Me- only one goal for today - get taxes finished. DONE YES!!!

Happy Tuesday.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm

A supplemental check on whether we've forgotten things is a practice of taking a plush animal or two (that we make up stories about and have in sort of dioramas around the apartment). If I get to the car without my elephant or hermit crab, it's possible I forgot something else too, so it is A Sign to go back, get them, and review what I should have taken with me.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Elaine -- that sounds like a wonderful time with granddaughter -- play, Science! and pizza. How does her brother like the play?

My best friend doesn't have a 9-year-old's energy -- but she has that delight in all kinds of things, as long as energy holds out. Then naps happen.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 pm

What I'm suddenly curious about is how China's triumphal march with thousands compared to other triumphal marches with thousands. Unlikely to find answers easily from that grump-prone reviewer.

C.S. Lewis mentioned trying not to review stories if they were in a genre he didn't like -- as he'd not be a fair and knowledgable reviewer.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:58 pm

I went to a surprise 100th birthday party for my grandfather. He was surprised! "I'm having more fun today than I was a hundred years ago!" he claimed.

Yay for MIL perking up.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories