May 2019 Steps-A-Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Figured out my goal

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun May 05, 2019 11:59 am

Welcome, Lalitha. You have a great list of things to do!

Me. I've been saying that I don't know what I want at this point in life. After skimming Wishcraft again I realized I do know what I want most of all. I just don't pursue it because I think I will never get it. So, why bother trying. I wasn't even going to post what the dream is. I feel embarrassed about it.

I decided to be brave and post it in the Wishes and Obstacles section -- Wish: to get married again Obstacles: Many!
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Mon May 06, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: May 2019 Steps-A-Day

Postby LalithaN » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am

Hi Lynx,
What you have written is true. Sometimes,when we are groping in the dark without a clue, suddenly somewhere a door opens and lets the sunlight in. I too have experienced that sometimes. Hope in life sustains.
So without ambling,I should start my work. Many times I shrink because of its enormity. But your post reminded that we are going to take only one step at a time. Then that reduces the volume.
About the poem.Long ago, thinking about how practical necessities of life stamp out delicate desires,
I envisioned that image of a worker child longingly looking at a butterfly, when her hands are chopping the wood, Many times I have been trapped by my work without having time for my favourite pastimes. Now I have broken free I think.
Ah, then Mr. Frost. When I first read Road Not Taken, I was captured by its simple beauty. Stopping By Woods has a similar effect. Simple words, powerful truth. 'Miles to go before I Sleep' . This phrase has become so household, that we use it as often like an idiom.
Thank you.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon May 06, 2019 3:58 am

HI Inspire,
You have been frank.You should live with someone who loves you and care for you. Nobody should live alone unless they prefer it.
I pray that all your obstacles are removed and wishes come true.
A suggestion. You wrote about 'attracting' somebody.It will happen itself as if by magic.If you have harmony and peace with yourself, your surroundings will automatically change according to your wishes.
'As a Man Thinketh' by James Allen insists this.
Take care.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm

LalithaN wrote:HI Inspire,
You have been frank.You should live with someone who loves you and care for you. Nobody should live alone unless they prefer it.

Lalitha, thank you. I posted in the Wishes and Obstacles section.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon May 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi,
How you people do that quoting? I tried but can't figure out. :(
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

transitional day

Postby Lynx » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Lalitha,

For quotes, highlight the words you want to quote, then hit Quote in the code bar above the message text box.

You should see to the left quote in brackets and on the right /quote also in brackets.

Today feels transitional. About 8 months ago I opened an I Ching journal when I bemoaned all the stuck places in my life, condo project mired in broken communications and zero mutual deference, client project 1 skitting out of anyone's control, client project 2 seemingly impossible goal of wresting a deed from the cold grip of indifferent city politicians.

As of recently, within the past six weeks and picking up pace in the last two—new condo board with refreshed energy to move project through, client 1 convening a meeting with backers and this is gelling the group a bit;; client 2 is getting political "feelers" & comments that the city is closer to supporting us than we let on in the press (or that our supports express in their letters).

Now I have a grant to finish for client 2. Ay yi yi. But wait, technology might rescue me. (1) record client directly answering the grant questions. (2) transcribe file (3) continue to edit per usual.

Getting the raw text material is the bulkiest step of drafting formal writing like a grant. And moving from recording to text via transcription takes from 4 to 11 times the length of the recording. Thus 1 recorded hour may take 4 to 11 hours! I have an assistant and I have my own billing rates, and we're expensive.

Turns out that automatic transcription services have turned a corner on their accuracy. Several have free use for the first 1 or 2 hours of work. Others use humans, cost more, higher accuracy, and still can turn back work in less than a full day.

About 15% error rate is the industry average. One project worked with Mechanical Turk (Amazon gig marketplace) offering different rates to human transcribers, and no matter their offer the work averaged ± 15%.

So I'm going to do it. Pick two with free intro offers and compare! My own A/B testing.

Warmly,
L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Lalitha, How are you doing with your 3 goals -- sewing, budget and trading?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi, Everyone,

I enjoyed reading your posts and catching up on what all of you are doing. I guess I've been away for a while.

Stopping by Woods has always been a favorite of mine. And I read the cobbler tale when I was a child, but I never picked up on the ideas you wrote about - that the elves show up when we've done our best. it makes a lot of sense with writing. - When I write every day, I can find the words. When I skip a few days, I'm stuck and everything is terrible.

I have to say that the last two days have not been productive for me. Hopefully, I'll get inspired tomorrow by the great things you all have written.

Oh, Inspire, I just remembered. I have two friends who fell in love and, I'm guessing they were in their seventies when the found a soul mate. One friend had been married before and her husband died. One had never been married. It was so great to see them so happy. I'm wishing that for you.

Good wishes, everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:

Oh, Inspire, I just remembered. I have two friends who fell in love and, I'm guessing they were in their seventies when the found a soul mate. One friend had been married before and her husband died. One had never been married. It was so great to see them so happy. I'm wishing that for you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was feeling very glum today thinking how silly it is to think I'll meet someone at my age.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

May 8, finding love > 65

Postby Lynx » Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi steppers,

Somehow 65 is one of these demark ages. Here's an article for you, Inspire, from the Sr Living Blog:

5 Top Ways to Find Love After 65

I once offered a couple of workshops on dating so I paid close attention. I also in the past several years attended a couple of workshops led by others on flirting/dating.

It's wise to be in a space where "dating" isn't exactly the purpose of the gathering. Great places for this are volunteer-service projects, workshops, classes, trips, Meet-ups, etc. The pro tip? Go where the odds favor YOU. If something is 75% women and 25% men, that's 3-1 against meeting someone. When it's reversed, 75% men; 25% women, that's 3-1 in favor.

So, where are the men? When I was younger, and my attendess were, too, I said trail maintenance! One friend found romance in her carpentry classes leading to an associate degree. Markets and stock investing are heavily male.

Another article: Top 10 hobbies for > 65 set.

Boating ... Canoeing ... Sailing … Kayaking.

Golf

Fishing

Antiquing

Digital photography

Building models

Gardening

Volunteering

Genealogy

Knitting

And, I would add Bird Watching, Bird Listening.

Happy searching for love,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed May 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Lynx,
To check our position once in a while, is essential for competent persons. What you are doing is fine. And I followed your quote method. But it quotes your whole post.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi IS,
My sewing is in the same position. I found out I have been spending carelessly from April. Yesterday I was searching for good investing methods. About trading, I have to brush up my subject knowledge and do a lot of training. Thank You for asking.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Quoting

Postby Lynx » Thu May 09, 2019 6:57 am

Hi LN,

There are two quote buttons with two quoting opportunities, which makes things confusing.

So, success, you've learned how to quote a whole post by seeing a post and hitting the "quote button on the top Right > of the post you are reading. At this stage you haven't opened your response and hitting that key starts your response.

----------- This completes the first method — quoting a whole post -----------

The second method quotes part of a post, and this is what you want to do.

1. Read the post.

2. Highlight what you want to quote and copy it (Cmd-C on Macs; Cntl-C on PC). The section in red in this example:

My sewing is in the same position. I found out I have been spending carelessly from April.

3. Hit "reply" to open your message window.

4. Type any part of your message before you want to put in your quote:

Hi LN, Interesting to see this:

5. Then paste the part you want to quote (Cmd-V on Macs; Cntl-V on PC)

Hi LN, Interesting to see this: I found out I have been spending carelessly from April.

6. Highlight the text again: this time in blue. To highlight, click at one end of the sentence and drag the cursor to the other side of the sentence.

I found out I have been spending carelessly from April.

7. Look now to the menu at the top of the message box: you'll see B i u Quote

8. This is the quote button you want now. Click that and you should see this (except with brackets [ ] and not parentheses () )

(quote)I found out I have been spending carelessly from April.
(/quote)

When you submit the post it will look like this:

Hi LN, Interesting to see this:
I found out I have been spending carelessly from April.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 09, 2019 7:53 am

Hi, everyone,

I think I have a good pitch. Finally. So that's a success. Now I want to do a final edit, and then - well - we'll see. I expect to get nothing but rejections, and then I'll self-publish.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu May 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I expect to get nothing but rejections, and then I'll self-publish.

Whoa! Give those publishers a chance! You never know what will happen. I'm cheering for you!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories