July 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

July 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:14 pm

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't." -Richard Bach writer. Thanks, Inspire, for the quote.

Commit to taking steps each day towards your goal. How many steps is up to you. We'll cheer you along.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: July 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 am

My goals from last week are accomplished. :D

I'm doing camp nanowrimo this month, and so far I'm on schedule to win having written two hours yesterday.
Today is a fun day with friends, which I need badly because I have allowed myself to be isolated a lot lately, and that's just a really bad thing.

Okay, beautiful day. fun stuff to do. I'll get a little work in before going to a movie.

This is me signing out.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

jul 2

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:34 pm

hi steppers,

Thx Elaine for launching the thread this month.

I'm thinking a bit about symmetry, especially if I just had 100 days of marathon, will I now have 100 days of recovery?

No guarantees and I'm seeing that only getting a full evenings rest is a help but not nearly enough rest. So, I keep at it!

I just make a spreadsheet of some of the free music on offer this summer. The fantasy that I might attend concerts feels like recovery.

Also, finished reading a novel. Rachel Cusk's Outline. Next up, the memoir on childbirth. Another novel, Transit, too, when I can secure a copy.

Workwise, had a meeting yesterday and I see just one scheduled meeting? And that in two weeks. It's a type of silence. Ah.

Working around 2 hours a day on drafting a report, 1/2 hour at a time it seems. I work till my thinking gets bogged, then I do other stuff and come back at it for another stretch. Goal for the month: finish the full draft. Using Seinfeld's "Don't Break the chain" more or less.

Delightful stepping everyone,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:18 am

Interesting balancing act - activity and rest. Especially when we are the ones who set our schedules. - No forty hours and then go home.

Me - had a rest day yesterday. Saw "Yesterday" and visited with friends. A good day. Today, I want to catch up on writing. Mainly, I want to get into that mode of working an eight hour day because I want to, not because I have to. Not every day, but I'd like to know that I could do it if I had to.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 am

Hi steppers, Happy fourth.

I'm going to do some weed abatement (rake up some dry grass that's already been mowed down) and have some fun with friends and family. I hope some writing happens in the cracks.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:34 pm

I have established the policy that if I buy an article of clothing, I eliminate another article of clothing. This was a few years ago, already. But I always would get hung up about "finding a new home for my old clothes." Why? Because I rarely outgrow clothes. And I don't get rid of clothes until they're thread-bare. And I feel bad about putting such worn out clothes into a donation bin. I used to convince myself that some volunteer will appreciate them for the scrap fabric.

Anyway, in June I bought three new "Father's Day" shirts for myself, and I threw out (not gave away) a much larger pile of old clothes. Not only were the old clothes thread bare, they had been peed on repeatedly by at least one of our cats. So I had no qualms this time about getting rid of them.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 am

Congrats on the new clothes.

Me - I'm recouping from the FOurth of July. FOr some reason I can't sleep well in a motel.

I'm behind on the Nanowrimo, and hopefully will catch up if I can just get started.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Good job, Square Peg. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7 Jul

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:02 am

Hi stepper,

Elaine, I have the same problem with hotels. I think, for me, I'm not used to their mattress. Eventually I get to sleep. These new hotel rooms are designed for electronics (including the TV) and not for reading—not enough light. I don't watch the TV, and except when I feel I have to check email, I don't spend time on the computer. I compensate for not being able to get to sleep by turning in earlier.

Square Peg, I admire your discipline. You encourage me to follow suit. In March I bought an ipad pro 12.9 as my next computer. This joins my share of a 2009 imac, a 2011 macbook air, a 2017, i think, macbook air, and two older macbooks plus an alphasmart keyboard.

Seven. Keeping one of the older macbooks to open Appleworks/Clarisworks files since Apple no longer "supports" them and nothing opens them as well as the original apps.

Want to de-commission 1 of the older macbooks next. I've copied off files and such before, and every time I have to look up the steps again. Not much on it, I think, as I bought it for use at the office if I needed a portable personal computer and didn't want to use the office's Windows laptops.

Returned to using the imac more now for editing. Love the 24 inch screen. Was slowing down due the trend of every update and upgrade hogging more of the system. Put in new RAM memory all by myself that doubled the available RAM. Some things are definitely faster now.

Devoting time every day to finishing up a report on my overly long project (approaching 2 years when the original contract was for 6 months). The income is welcome but the emotional friction is not. Due to my protection of my recovery from overwork, I manage about 2 hours a day on it, seven days a week. And then I nap everyday.

Napping on our Duxiana boxspring with a 3-inch SleepOnLatex top pad is the best part,

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:46 am

Hi steppers,
After a long time, I have started sewing regularly. I have been sewing half an hour for the past three days. Haven't finished a project yet, but :D .
If I can continue this, I'll definitely improve.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:52 am

Hi Squarepeg,
You must be some kind of relative to my grandparents of both sides. They never wasted even a scrap of anything [clothes, food, everything else].
I used to think of them as misers when I was young. But after a time, a wisdom dawned that we are blessed to have the things we have in our life and not even notice, for which many people dream of and toil for.
I really appreciate your using a thing to its full capacity.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Yes, we take so much for granted.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Keep the String Alive

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 am

LalithaN wrote: After a long time, I have started sewing regularly. I have been sewing half an hour for the past three days. Haven't finished a project yet, but :D .
If I can continue this, I'll definitely improve.

I recall you posted this goal at the start of your joining us. Keep it up. Is half an hour a day sustainable?

I find with daily stuff after a bit Resistance nudges, then pushes, then shoves back. To keep the string going I vary things a lot, day to day. Two hours for me a day with my work writing. Some days I'm on fire or have other commitments so i sit for 90 minutes and later polish off with 30 minutes more. Other days, its 40-40-40. Some days it feels like 10-10-etc, which are the days with the greatest resistance. 12 of those, though, with 30 minutes gaps, and I get in my time.

Keep the strings going, everyone,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Resistance has been uncharacteristically quiet. I have truly convinced myself that my writing will get nowhere. Believe it or not, that's a good thing. I can write with no expectations and no fear of rejection or fear of suddenly having to do a lot of work.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Keep the String Alive

Postby LalithaN » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Lynx wrote:[color=#804080]

I find with daily stuff after a bit Resistance nudges, then pushes, then shoves back. To keep the string going I vary things a lot, day to day. Two hours for me a day with my work writing. Some days I'm on fire or have other commitments so i sit for 90 minutes and later polish off with 30 minutes more. Other days, its 40-40-40. Some days it feels like 10-10-etc, which are the days with the greatest resistance. 12 of those, though, with 30 minutes gaps, and I get in my time.

Keep the strings going, everyone,
Lynx

Hi Lynx,
Thanks for remembering.
So true. Half an hour a day is not at all enough for sewing, but something is better than nothing. A professional tailor will cut, stitch, hem and attach buttons [that is , complete a blouse in 2 hours]. I too was able to finish stitching a blouse in one day and hemming and attaching buttons next day, on the whole 3 days for finishing a blouse working 1 hour a day. Now I lost touch, so I'm stumbling through the process.

Why Resistance plays such a part in life? It stops me doing even simple things. I really think about people who do what they have planned without any ado. Simply like well oiled machines, they run their life. What do they have which I don't? My mind answers immediately,''Willpower''.
I ask myself,"Am I lazy, weak-willed or fickle minded?" I'm not lazy, I'm sure. For the other parts I'm not sure. It gives me a lot of stress that I'm not able to do what I have to and want to. I searched for an answer in lot of books. Convincing, but not very helpful.
It gives me a lot of solace that you people too, have to push through Resistance. From Exercise thread, I found out the only way to beat Resistance is doing things in bit by bit. I think in your company, I'll win against Resistance.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories