July 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: July 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 am

Lynx, you're not just stepping; you're running. Enjoy.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:44 am

I'm hosting two parties this week. I have a social life. Who knew???? So my next steps are to clean up and cook.

I have a idea of how to improve the prologue of the novel. So that's good.

Onward, ever onward.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 am

Elaine wrote:Lynx, you're not just stepping; you're running. Enjoy.

Just hit "send." Whew!

Wheeze, Wheeze. Thanks, wheeze, for the support & lent ears to get me this far. Wheeze.
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

18 Jul

Postby Lynx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Steppers,

I'm really enjoying this loose time. Have to be extra alert because mistakes like easy.

Looking at schedule for a 10 day workshop conference coming up in a month. Since it's about design, I'm reading design books to warm up. Intend this to rep my staycation.
A staycation is a stay-at-home vacation.

It has been said that it was invented by the writers of the Canadian TV comedy show Corner Gas in an episode broadcast in October 2005. However, the word appeared in print a little earlier, in an article in the Washington Post on 4 August 2005: “The city empties out. The commute becomes bearable. It’s the perfect time for a ‘staycation,’ to dig in those heels and enjoy the comforts of home: 300-thread-count sheets, stainless outdoor fire pit, well-stocked fridge.”

Have some billing problems to address and this evening going shopping for a few things before attending a meet up on facilitation.

To the schedule,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 am

Party number one down. it went okay, except that we didn't visit in my garden as I had planned, and that bothers me a little. Party number two is tomorrow,

The writing is moving along. I found a couple of ways to make the all-important first two pages better. (I'd written all-impotent by mistake - interesting slip, no?) So I'll write a bit this morning and go shopping for tomorrow.

Good steps to you all.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jul 19

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am

Hi steppers,

Elaine, party—write—party, maybe this is your rhythm. Keep enjoying it all.

Yes, interesting slip of the fingers.

I'm footdragging on a bit of new work that's landed in my inbox. Really soaking up every morsel of rest and recovery. Got to a meet up last night that I hadn't attended in a long time. Felt right to be there. It conflicts with another meetup where people share 8 minute stories on a themes. I like the emotional rawness, the lack of polish, the revelation in public. About 100 folks attend and last time one of the tellers said it's the world's largest therapy group. If not, it's close.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:16 am

Lynx, a group of people getting together and telling stories was therapy before therapy was invented. Quilting bees, barn raising - it wasn't just about the quilts and barns. (although of course a lot of it was - if you didn't get the quilts and the barns, you and your animals would freeze.)

I haven't given a party in a while, and I'm a bit nervous. I'm practicing on my family.

Okay, steps to walk, work to do, miles to go, and all that good stuff.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 am

Hi steppers,
Posting this in a hurry.
Friday I cut one blouse, yesterday I completed it, today I wore it. Almost perfect fit.
I'm so :D .
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Jul 22

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 am

LalithaN wrote: Friday I cut one blouse, yesterday I completed it, today I wore it. Almost perfect fit.
I'm so :D .

Yes! Way to do it.

Today, after about four days of mental meandering, I'm back into contract work then a site visit for a grant project I'm volunteering with.

Psychologically, I'm watching how as I feel physically calm and relaxed, my mind follows. This leads to relax-mindedness, or mistakes. I'd love to feel that physical relaxation more often and keep enough alert aware attention to carry out actions in good form.

Part is looking at my routines at boundaries. The sequence needs adjusting. Right now its:
key in lock to open trunk
fiddle with putting things away
close trunk
get in car

What I skipped was take key out and put in pocket

This is a serious thing. Once I failed to close and lock the trunk before spending a full day at an outdoor festival. It had all our vacation clothes, and computers.

Maxim (?): Key on the keys.

Retake: Approach trunk. Take out key. Think: Key on the keys. Open trunk. Put key back in pocket. etc.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:46 am

Lalitha, I used to sew. Making a blouse that quickly is amazing.

Lynx, yes, put the key in the pocket. I find as I get older, those slips are getting easier to make. My brain goes on automatic and things get skipped.

Me - a couple of friends to visit today, and a group coming to my house tomorrow.

Writing - I'm a couple of hours behind my goal. I lowered my goal a week ago to 3000 minutes of writing for the month of July, and that feels more comfortable - a stretch, but a stretch I can manage.

Happy stepping to everyone.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

today Jul 23

Postby Lynx » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi steppers,

My appt this morning got postponed pending some details getting pulled together. So I cleaned our floor fan because it stopped working. Added a bit of light oil, reassembled, and after a few hiccups, it's working great. In the process lost a screw! Thought I'd put all four in a small cup, and with the second re-assemble the last one was not to be found. Gremlins, I salute your skills!

Had a spare in the loose screw box.

A couple of days ago clean my car battery. Hm? A pattern?

Rest of today I'm reading about design and taking a walk later. Perhaps a nap.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Lynx,
That was quite an achievement. So don't bother about losing a screw.
Long ago I saw tailoring machine repair video. One useful tip I got from that was to take a photo of everything i.e. before situation, dissembling [putting spare parts in separate containers], step by step assembling. Though looks tedious, you can check everything on the process itself. This tip may help you.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:50 am

Hi Elaine,
Thanks for the compliments.

Considering the hundreds of hours I have put in sewing, learning, unlearning, trial and error, I should have become a pro now. What to do? Unfortunately,I didn't have a good teacher in both of my classes.I have spent countless hours in tackling the machine. Even simple things like needle insertion, properly inserting bobbin in the case, I learnt from youtube. I started learning sewing in 2004. Though not continuous, I tried a lot of projects. I went to an enhancement class in 2014. My luck, both of them were just waste of time, money and energy. I got regular internet only in 2015.

I once saw a video, where a sewing machine mechanic remarking that a man threw a sewing machine out of the window from the third floor unable to bear the tension caused by thread tension problems. I can relate to him.

Most of what I know come from Youtube videos. I am grateful for the Masters who upload videos for novices like me.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Just skimmed the thread. WOW! Everyone's truckin' (oh, yes, I was alive in the 70's!)

I'm getting nowhere with nothing. The only progress anywhere in my life is my walking. I'm up to being able to walk for an hour. When I started a few months ago I could barely trudge through 20 minutes without fearing I wouldn't make it home.

Other areas. Dead. Can't get motivated. Don't know what the goals are. Sigh. Not truckin'. Sigh. Poor me. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Don't even have enough energy for a rant. Just.......sigh. Poo. What a sad sack (that's my mom's phrase from when I was a kid).

Well, to the rest of you -- keep on steppin'

Uninspired Me
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:22 pm

I've only had one goal in the last 2 months that really means something to me and I've been able to do nothing about it. I want to go to the YMCA. No matter how I try, nothing helps me get there. I'm deeply disappointed to see a 2nd month go by with absolutely no progress whatsoever.

That's me being honest, not silly, like my last post.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories