July 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: July 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Hi Inspire,
Welcome back. Don't blame yourself. You are walking around 1 hour. You mustered up your courage and posted that letter. You are doing well.
I am dragging along for 4 years to take big decisions of my life and act on them. Though I feel miserable for the passing time, I still have hope that I will come out victorious from this muck.
You will join YMCA this month itself. Don't worry. You have that spirit in you.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am

Lalitha, I didn't know the blouses you were talking about are the sari tops. Those require really good fitting. I'm glad you're finding that doable again.

Elaine, giving parties and writing. Moving right along.

Lynx, progress as always and such a better sense of balance in your life now. Very happy about that.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:10 pm

My wifi is down. If I don't post for a while, that's why.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm using the wifi at the senior center. I'm still hosting parties. And I'm still writing, but the writing got bogged down. I want to contact agents, and I can't do it without wifi.

Good luck to you all.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Elaine,
Wish your wi-fi problem speedily solved.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Y M C A

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

inspiresuccess wrote:I want to go to the YMCA.

Hear you. How far do you walk? How far is the YMCA?

What's the least committed, least involved way to be at the Y?

If the Y was coming to you, what would it be afraid of?

L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Y M C A

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 am

Lynx wrote:
Hear you. How far do you walk? How far is the YMCA? What's the least committed, least involved way to be at the Y? If the Y was coming to you, what would it be afraid of? [/quote]

I can't walk to the YMCA if that's what you're suggesting. It's about a 20 minute drive.

Least committed way is to be in the pool. All I really need to do is get in the water and stand there and watch other people swim. I would like that. I don't feel embarrassed wearing a swimsuit partly because I'll mostly be in water where no one will see me. Partly, because my body looks like a 64 year old body and I can't change my age.

"If the Y would come to you..." that's an interesting question. I guess what I'm uncomfortable with is being around people and exercising. Being around people and exercising. I'm so weak I can't really take a class. I guess I don't want people to see how weak I am. And I don't want to see other people exercising the way I used to be able to exercise in the past (envy and living in the past as far as used to being highly active). I guess if the Y came to me and there were no people there, I'd enjoy having access to a pool and exercise machines and just do what I wanted and enjoy the feeling of getting in touch with my body again at my own pace like I am with walking.

I guess my obstacle is the [i]being around other people exercising[/i ] I want access to exercise equipment without being around people. I guess that's why I'm walking alone and feeling good about it. I can buy a lock for a locker but I can't buy a pool and exercise equipment. Being around people. That's it. The exercise part is what I want to do. Being around people is what is holding me back.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for the questions, Lynx. It helped me get a little clearer on what the problem is.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

YMCA

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:52 am

Hi steppers,

Inspire, I can see your clarity sharpen as you wrote. I'm thinking of

In 1987 the songwriters Susanna Clark and Richard Leigh composed “Come from the Heart” which included the following lyrics:

You’ve got to sing like you don’t need the money
Love like you’ll never get hurt
You’ve got to dance like nobody’s watchin’
It’s gotta come from the heart if you want it to work.

There's exercise, exercise alone (walking) and exercise with others. The smallest group size is 2 people.

Walk on,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

the 37% idea and car leaks

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi steppers,

Found a bit of 'science' on a book on how to think. It said reviewing 37% of a range of options gives enough information to make a sound enough decision. In other words, get through 2/5 of the list and call it.

So, took the car to a workshop on leaks. After about 30 minutes of classroom instruction they put each car on the lift and took a look around. Our car 'won' with the most things needing fixing. Some minor, too much dirt on battery (already dealt with) and replacing the rear valve cover gaskets (expensive) and every fluid system needs a flush with new liquids. AKA: A full reset of the car.

So, this mechanic really liked synthetic oils after talking it over with one of the 100 or so motor oil experts in the whole world. So my question becomes: if synthetic can go 7500 to 10000 to 25,000 (!) miles between changes, do I have to change it every year even if I don't drive that far?

This is because the stated service is "XX,000 miles or one year." I've read about 10 articles plus watched 3 videos and can now call it:

JD Powers (independent awards organization) says synthetics don't break down over time like conventional (called dino in the forums) oil does.
If time is not the critical factor, then what is? Many writers said condensation, but if you reach highway speeds for 10 minutes that vapors off.

OK, so we get up to highway speeds a few times a week. Should I go for the 25,000 miles oil?
Several people sent their oil to labs for analysis. Turns out that the filters need replacing around the 12,000 mile mark.

As I pay for changes and both filter and oil get changed together, that means the filter is the constraint.
Solution: Get the mid-level synthetic oil with highest grade filter (Fram brand) and change after 12,000 miles, however long that takes.

There's another 125,000,000 results I will skip reading: 10/125000000 equals 0.0000008% is the percent I read. Sorry science.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Found my gym bag with swimsuit and towel inside. And a combination lock with no idea what the code is! Will need to buy another one. When I looked inside the bag I actually felt fear. Fear? That's a big feeling for just a gym bag. What the heck am I afraid of?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:53 pm

I did some journal writing to address the fear. Too personal and embarrassing to share here! Will keep going.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:36 am

Inspire, walking for an hour is a very good accomplishment.

Good luck with the rest. We're all rooting for you. The YMCA will be a better place with you there.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:59 am

I had a success. As you can tell from my posts over the years, I'm not computer-smart. my wi-fi went down. Comcast said that their signal to my house was strong. The problem was the router/modem. The tech at Staples had always been helpful - amazingly so. I've recommended Staples because of him. This time, a different tech helped me. She told me I needed the top-of-the-line modem/router combo. I bought it and wondered if I really needed all that power. Two days later, my stepson, told me no, any modem/router would do as long as it was compatible with Comcast. While I was talking to him, I unplugged my modem and plugged it back in. Yes! My wi-fi is back. And of course my old modem and router don't supply the 24 channels, etc.

My last party for a while is coming up tomorrow.

As for writing = one step at a time.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:50 am

Elaine Glimme wrote: The YMCA will be a better place with you there.
Ahhh, that's sweet. Thank you!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories