July 2019 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: July 2019 Daily Stepping

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm finished hosting parties for a while. We had a good time today. I was a little nervous yesterday (more than a little nervous). AT church today, half of the people told me they couldn't come. Oops. But two women came over after church and we had some great conversation. There's a part of me that always expects the worst. Uncomfortable silence, me forgetting to do something that needed to be done, me saying something stupid. All these things can happen, of course, and indeed have happened at one time or another. But today was good. One thing that helped - I slowed down. I didn't give in to "monkey brain" nervous chatter that makes everyone uncomfortable. So yay!

I'm trying to get into writing mode now.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

jul 28

Postby Lynx » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Hello Steppers,

Bit by bit, step by step, gain by gain, we make our way.

Inspire. You'll get to the Y. It's a place you should go.

Elaine, happy your last party for a while proved satisfying. It's often hardest for the host to enjoy herself. Hope it was mostly pot luck so you're not out too much for the food that the flakes didn't come by to eat.

Lalitha. You set getting back to sewing, and ... you got back to sewing. Celebrate.

Me. I've been thinking about my finances and whether I'll have enough to live well enough on till I die in 40 or so years. That's 2/3 of as long as I've lived so far. I've counted two dozen ways my money works.
  1. IRA
  2. mutual fund
  3. savings account
  4. money market account
  5. coupons
  6. loyalty cards
  7. points on cards
  8. miles on air travel
  9. sales
  10. 'the age card' senior discounts
  11. sharing economy (Airbnb, VRBO, touro car rental, Car2Go, flexcar)
  12. beholding to the generosity of friends
  13. trades
  14. volunteering
  15. poverty discounts
  16. paying cash
  17. pay off credit card each month
  18. paid off the mortgage
  19. member discounts
  20. debt clear
  21. doing without
  22. buying durable (a pair of Saucony sneakers approaching 15 years old, see next item)
  23. repairs
  24. shop wisely (thrift stores, TJ Maxx, Ross, Grocery Outlet)
  25. freecycle
  26. craigslist, ebay
  27. libraries & paperback swap
Helps to write this down.
L
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Lynx,
Thank You. I celebrated. For a long time (about 15 years),I was living a recluse life and I never cared about my wardrobe.
Now I realized that I have a very keen colour sense and a good designer mind. My wardrobe is a mess and I firmly decided to clutter-clear and upgrade it. I found out a wholesale market place recently and I boldly bought a good deal of sarees for me. I set my thrifty ideas away for some time.Where I got that courage to spend money on myself I don't know. But I'm happy and above all didn't feel guilty.
Your financial modus operandi is elaborate and clear. I very much appreciate that.
Wish you success.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

fellow thinkers

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:49 am

Hi steppers,

I think for myself. It's hard going when all about there's the rush of distractions and entertainment (that prevent thinking) and what passes for thinking often recycles dead ideas from dead writers. Thus, I brighten up when I find others making their own way of the mind.

My father urged me to think for myself and it frightened him when I did. I once had some dingy underwear in the wash. My dad asked me about it. I said it wasn't important because it was unseen underwear. He then quoted some urgent message from the ad for laundry detergent. But not, ironically, he meant it!

I found another companion to add to my Council of Fresh Thinkers: artist René Magritte. While reading his selective writings I came to this:

René Magritte wrote:The bourgeois order is a disorder. Extreme confusion deprived of all contact with the world of necessity.

Those who profit from the capitalist confusion defend it by means of a bunch of sophisms and lies through which they attempt to influence all human activity.

And so they do not hesitate to affirm that the bourgeois social order has helped the development of culture to an extraordinary degree, and that art, for example, has conquered unexplored territories which, before, seemed inaccessible.

There is no longer any possible doubt. We must denounce this imposture. Our criticism does not spring from a desire to do battle, but is based solely on precise, strictly objective observation.

Ah, yes, it's a relief to find companions.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm

I haven't read it yet, but a friend loaned me a book with a similar message (I think - I haven't read it.) It's about who benefits from a fragile society.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7-29 Anti-fragile?

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi steppers,

Elaine, is the book Anti-Fragile: Things That Gain From Disorder by Nicholas Taleb? I've read it. Biggest takeaway for me—he said we only have half the words we need. I think it closer to just 25%. After that I felt freed to make up words as needed to express fresh or hybrid or ancient experiences that needed their own home in a word for themselves.

He made his personal reputation and quite a bit of cash by booking on fragility: he runs an investment/trading hedge fund that shorts the market through options trading. This means he buys contracts that wage the market will fall by a designated date. Most of the time, like now, he slowly loses money. Then the fragility breaks, say in his case the World Towers are attacked, traders panic, sell off, and boom, he makes a lot of money.

There's a great New Yorker profile on him and another trader that worked to the long side. They don't mention the towers attack directly, simply say at the end of the story the other trader had taken some long positions (waging the market would rise) on September 10, 2001.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I had a success. As you can tell from my posts over the years, I'm not computer-smart. my wi-fi went down. Comcast said that their signal to my house was strong. The problem was the router/modem. The tech at Staples had always been helpful - amazingly so. I've recommended Staples because of him. This time, a different tech helped me. She told me I needed the top-of-the-line modem/router combo. I bought it and wondered if I really needed all that power. Two days later, my stepson, told me no, any modem/router would do as long as it was compatible with Comcast. While I was talking to him, I unplugged my modem and plugged it back in. Yes! My wi-fi is back. And of course my old modem and router don't supply the 24 channels, etc.

This is so fantastic! Congrats! I'm going to come back and ask you about wifi since I'm still to scared to set it up!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 pm

LalithaN wrote:Hi Squarepeg,
You must be some kind of relative to my grandparents of both sides. They never wasted even a scrap of anything [clothes, food, everything else].
I used to think of them as misers when I was young. But after a time, a wisdom dawned that we are blessed to have the things we have in our life and not even notice, for which many people dream of and toil for.
I really appreciate your using a thing to its full capacity.
Thank you! Well, yes, I usually like to keep threadbare clothing. The material can be:
  • cut up into squares to for a quilt
  • used as rags
  • stuffed into air gaps for insulation
  • used to dampen an annoying vibrating appliance
  • used as a filler for pillows
  • used as fire starter
  • used as animal bedding
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories