September 2019 Steps A Day

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

rare case

Post by Lynx »

Hi Elaine: "It's rare for someone with my injury not to need surgery, but I may be one of the few who won't have to have it." Get a sling, pronto!

One of my more fun ways to think about something is to find podcasts about a topic near to what I'm doing but not direct. Found a series of 10 podcasts a masters student made with stage managers. This is close to being a project manager enough that I'm getting inspired, depressed, and impressed in turns. It's also about theater, so I get a bonus because it'll help me with my reviewing.

Today at 3 we officially launch our 4.5 year project! First of two meetings, a week apart.

On the political side, the mayor has yet again neglected to put my client's land transfer in her budget (second year running). She really, really, really, doesn't want this to happen. Attention turns to the busy, multiple, and distracted city council. They have a special meeting of the budget committee tomorrow I'll get to with our revised, updated Ask. Time to Suit Up and get Out There.

To do: Read through the mayor's budget, search through it, drag up last year's response update it, rest a bit and prep self for launch.

Office hours today: 9 am to 8 pm. Time out for meals, prep, travel, & breaks. Tho the mayor BS is urgent, need to pace self so have energy to facilitate the launch.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: September 2019 Steps A Day

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Hi,

Not to worry. They gave me a sling right away. I am the problem. I get impatient and want to do things I shouldn't do. My ex had knee surgery and figured that he knew better than the doctor, and had to have a second surgery. I need to remember that.

For today - if a step is fifteen minutes, my goal is to accomplish five steps. I want to accomplish so much more than that, but I think I need a win. So I'll start small.

To the steps.

5 steps accomplished. Yes!!!

I found the perfect agent for my work. I couldn't figure out how to query her. I queried another agent in her agency. Maybe, maybe, maybe!!!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-25

Post by Lynx »

Hi Steppers,

Had a terrifically successful launch for our $1.5 Million project yesterday. No one rushed in to take over my project manager post, no surprise there. The overall project lead from the county dropped in for a quick talk with us and had very nice things to say. I think I have it on my ipad, just have to make time to check for it.

Today, off to city hall to make it known that the mayor wasted a year and didn't finish they task they kindly asked her to do last year. Also this year, she once again didn't put the work in her draft budget. Now it's for the council to pick up the pieces and Do the Deeds themselves.

I hate corrupt people and the mess they make for the moral us to deal with them without publicly acting extreme or saying anything they can twist back with an attack, etc.

The review I wrote last week had the wrong duration: I said nearly 3 hours, it was 100 minutes. My editor made 1 of the changes, and when I saw the emails I made the other. I like easy fixes.

To City Hall,
Lynx

The idea that you can't fight city hall is a rumor started by City Hall. Audre Lorde
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

I was thinking of a picture of a bombed-out city with the caption "you can't fight city hall?" But I decided that we don't really want to destroy city hall. We just want them to do what they're supposed to do. So here are good vibes for cooperation.

My steps for today: edit, edit, edit. Try to figure out how to query the agent I want to query. (Don't try. Do???) Start learning everything there is to learn about creating an Internet presence.

Here's to all of us.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

I just want to babble about this agent. She's into social justice, environment. likes Barbara Kingsolver. Wants to represent books that will change things. And, like everyone else, wants a novel that grabs you.

To the Internet.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Maybe there's a physical explanation for my total lack of motivation and energy to do anything. I've been feeling poorly for at least 6 months now but the symptoms were subtle and I didn't put them together as a possible physical problem. I finally got blood tests done and my doctor thinks I might be bleeding in my intestines. I have to schedule a colonoscopy and some other major thing I can't spell. If they can figure out what's wrong and fix it, it might help me be strong enough to accomplish something again. Say a prayer for me.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Inspire, I'm praying that they find something that is easy to fix. If this is a physical problem, I wonder how long you've had it. And what you've been overcoming and not even knowing there was anything to overcome.

Prayers and good wishes.

Elaine

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Completed more than five steps yesterday. :D

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Positive Energy

Post by Lynx »

Hi Inspire,

Agreed. Great positive energy. Hope everything is something we can spell and a little more sleeping.

Lynx

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-27

Post by Lynx »

Friday,

Got to the end of the standard workweek. I'll be working through the weekend again, as likely going on like this till January.

Not too tired. Yesterday and today my biorhythms compiled level is over 7 when the standard range is between 3 - 6. So fast recovery makes sense.

We've had a leaky roof on the condo. The contractor will visit to see if the 3 industrial fans and 1 industrial humidifier have worked their magic. If so, they'll be out of here & we can reclaim our dining area.

Let's see, office hours are from 9 am to 6, with a couple of hours out to go pick more apples.

Our first part of our launch was a success. We spent the bulk of time reading and commenting on the trimmed text of the grant. Getting prepped for the second part.

Another project has its third, and let's believe, final due date for reviewing and comments today. Then I'll have to look over the comments and do yet another update to the doc.

The client doesn't seem capable for this to finish but I need to get out to focus on my other work. Was hoping this month would be the last invoice. Looks like it will be October, which is super booked already.

Andre Agassi wrote:The finish line at the end of a career is no different from the finish line at the end of a match. The objective is to get within reach of that finish line, because then it gives off a magnetic force. When you’re close, you can feel that force pulling you, and you can use that force to get across. But just before you come within range, or just after, you feel another force, equally strong, pushing you away. It’s inexplicable, mystical, these twin forces, these contradictory energies, but they both exist. I know, because I’ve spent so much of my life seeking the one, fighting the other, and sometimes I’ve been stuck, suspended, bounced like a tennis ball between the two.

Yup,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Thursday 3 steps

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Love the Andre Agasse quote.

Do I congratulate you or commiserate with you for having so much work?

Me - the goal is five steps per day. Steps are fifteen minutes of editing, learning social media and practicing using social media. Improving my health counts as steps too, since, to actually achieve my goal, I need to have a lot of energy - especially if a I can get a professional publisher to take me on.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Accomplished 5 steps today. (Friday) My goal, to accomplish five steps each day until it feels like a habit, then increase. I'm thinking that a professional writer probably devotes 6 - 8 hours each day to her craft. (And some probably work a lot more than that.)

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-28

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers,

Looking back through our Jan. 2015 posts. Great stuff on willpower, complaining, baby steps, and supporting each other.

Everything getting more intense: crossed one client's third and I'm holding for, final, due date for edits from our team on our report; one client has a serious tussle still with our confused City Council and Mayor which requires research, drafting, and advocacy; same client has a huge (for us) grant to start up; another County project needs written materials from my team but we are not very efficient talkers (we tend to repeat and repeat and repeat, again, and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat). [credit: variant on a refrain from a Suzan-Lori Parks song]

Today: prime efforts on getting ready for second part of Project Start Up. This means printing materials, refreshing the sign-in sheet, double checking supplies, etc. This will toggle with some ideas I have for how my repeaters team may structure our 6 hours of workshop time.

One of the yuck tasks is to continue research on professional liability insurance and possibly changing insurance companies with my general liability insurance to save money. For example, I may get Gen. Lia. for $360, pay $476 now. That's $116, and over the next 5 years that's $580. If I can find the mythical $300 policy, that $176 I save a year becomes $880 in 5. Motivation to put in a few moments of research.

Lynx

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

9-29

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers,

Today, continuing to decrease my list of tasks to do to get ready for Part II of our Levy Start Up on Tuesday.

Want to sketch out some ideas for a 6 hr workshop (our content portion) for my team meeting on Monday for another project.

Need to check for edits on a document I have been working to get a team to let go of for over year.

Oh, taking our chances to get pay what you wish tickets to a Indecent by Paula Vogel at Seattle Rep. That's tonight.

Happy stepping to all, & to the lists,
Lynx