October 2019 Daily stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Stoic Week 2019

Postby Lynx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 am

Hi steppers,

Tomorrow is day 4 of the 7 of Stoic Week and I haven't had enough moments to listen to the recording, mediate, journal, and read a few of the comments. The comments are often very touching but hard to follow as threads (the platform is teachable).

I've intentionally kept tomorrow clear because I need to rest from two long days of commuting and conferencing. To catch up then, I'll devote four of my half-hour steps to each missed day till I'm current. Friday, Saturday and Sunday (last day) I may be able to keep pace.

Made some interesting connections at the conference to follow up with tomorrow, too. That should fill the day.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

soft list day

Postby Lynx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 am

hi steppers,

Tracked the grandmother post for this thread from Inspire Success: Dec 28, 2001:

New Years Procrastination Challenge!

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:18 pm
    Hi, To all you champion procrastinators out there..... Here’s a challenge for the New Year: Pick something from your to-do list that you’ve been putting off for at least 3 months or longer. And make a commitment to getting it done by the end of the first full week of the new year (January 6th through January 12th). I’m making a commitment to do two things that I keep putting off because I’m embarrassed about putting them off: 1)I have about ten books from the library that are so overdue that the library is stating “replacement cost" on the notices. I keep putting it off because the longer it goes, the more embarrassed I am about it which is stupid! 2)I have evaluations that I was supposed to get from the instructors of classes I took over a year ago. The longer the time goes by, the more I say “They’ll never remember who I am out of all those students?" Of course, the longer I wait the less likely it will be that they’ll remember me. I don’t even know how many of them I have to send. I think it’s about 6. If you have things you’ve put off so long it’s really embarrassing, please join me in taking them off the list so we can start the New Year with fresh space and energy for the fun and important things in life. Write and tell me what you plan to have done by January 12th, 2002.

And the Parent post:

Procrastination Busters!

Post by inspiresuccess » Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:27 am
    Hi, team. This is a new thread to pick up where the "New Years Procrastination Challenge" thread leaves off. I'm posting it in success stories because I think the daily, weekly overcoming of procrastination is an on-going success story. The small steps lead to the big dreams and when those big dreams become reality we truly are living the life we love. So let's post our weekly goals and weekly successes here. One of my medium sized goals is to get my first portfolio for my masters degree finished. Here are the steps I need to take to complete this: 1) send an evaluation to an instructor (I already sent it and he lost it!) 2) type in the information on a form. Someone gave me a software program that is supposed to allow me to scan the form in and then fill it out and print it. 3) get a cable for my scanner and figure out how to get it working (for the form) 4) print out the final version of the portfolio with all copies of evaluations and forms included 5) send the form and the front page to my advisors for signature 6) take the whole thing to Kinkos and have them bind it 7) turn it into the department So this week I'm making a commitment to: 1) send the evaluation 2) get the scanner working 3) try again to download the form program (I tried before but I couldn't figure it out. So for those of you who are also taking those daily, weekly steps towards your big dreams -- what are you willing to commit to this week?

And here we are. Nearly 19 years and going. Thanks Inspire. I added the bold text to show you used the phrase small steps from the beginning.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: October 2019 Daily stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you so much, Lynx, for bringing up my posts. It's a reminder of how I used to be and might possibly be again. It's good to hear my old self again. I remember that person! Quite a contrast to where I am currently in my life.

RE: infusions. I called the oncology office and they said it only takes about 5 minutes. I mentioned what you'd posted and they said "Oh, that's the old way". Now days they just push it through in a short period of time.

I'm in Northern California and they are planning on turning our electricity off to prevent more wild fires so I might not post for a short while.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:42 am

Lynx, I'm enjoying your posts. First, because of all the energy you have, and because you've pretty much succeeded with what you were working toward a few years ago.
Also, I liked reading the posts you found from nineteen years ago. And Inspire, you did get your masters. So yes, small steps work.
Inspire, in your post you mentioned the word, Oncologist. I hope that doesn't mean that you're dealing with more than simple iron deficiency. Good wishes and prayers.
re: power outages, Tom is dealing with power outage. Words of wisdom - stock up. ATM's will be down, and the few stores that are open may be without power and require cash, so make sure you have a stash of green money. Also, for those of us who drive (I;m not one of them) fill your gas tank. Many gas stations will be closed. (Remember the 70s?)

Of course, stock up on food, water, entertainment that doesn't require electricity (books) batteries, flashlights, etc.

Me - I live in a strip that will continue to have power. So I don't have to worry about that, for now, at least. I'm hoping for motivation to get my steps done - five steps yesterday and five the day before. I was out in my garden wishing I had full use of my right arm and hand.

That's it for me. Happy stepping.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-11

Postby Lynx » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 am

Howdy steppers,

I've been mixing steps and routines the past 90 minutes. Found a file in an old format and copied what I needed to a pdf and also powerpoint. Kept my Macbook G4 for this very purpose. Worked!

It also reminded me of several terrific workshops I organized that I can recycle the materials/ideas from for current work.

Possibly off to a nice lunch at the culinary academy, then local adventuring to do random things. Resting in motion.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:10 am

Elaine, oncology is the place where they do infusions but evidently it's for any kind of infusion including iron. Thanks for asking.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

5 minutes & out!

Postby Lynx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi,

Inspire, I'm so happy they've gotten it down to 5 minutes. Not even enough time to open a magazine.

I'm finding a interesting seam in my decision web. About 10 days ago I reluctantly thought I'd not play bridge until January. Funny enough, I just bought 3 new packs of cards, forgetting I have a box of playing cards stashed away. Found that box today while looking for something else. I will use the new cards at a workshop to distribute people and got several packs because not all of them make it back to the pack.

So, one of my projects is working with Sr centers. I got the public parks seniors catalog, and one of the close to me park centers has pick up bridge on Fridays from 1 - 4. Hm.

There's a regular club game on Sundays starting around 5:30, but I don't go because I don't have a regular partner and am not quite skilled enough to avoid pissing off a pick up partner. Plus, I'm not going to be regular enough to make it worthwhile for someone to commit to being a steady partner. These games are for points, so people play with a competitive intensity.

I had been playing with several people, but the burden of organizing the games along with keeping up with my work load proved too much.

There are games at the center I consult with but I'd rather not mix work and play.

So a pick up game, not that far away, on Fridays daytime is very appealing. My bae (before anyone else) is busy Fridays, so she can't expect we'll be doing something together. Not many business meeting happen Friday afternoon, and by then I'm done with my work for the week anyway. And it's pick up, so I'm guessing the strain for points won't be as intense.

Something that's a distraction to consider, and that's a good thing,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:44 am

Hi, everyone,

Inspire, - Thank goodness! I hope the iron is slowly but surely making you feel better.

Lynx, Hi, and three cheers.

Me - writing - I'm still working on it, but I'm not sure why.

Health - the elbow is healing nicely. No surgery. Starting physical therapy to get my muscles back in shape and to continue increasing the range of motion.

Nothing is wrong with my knee. Don't know why it hurts.

Hip - it's a mess. might need surgery. Probably will need surgery. Bone is rubbing against bone.

And I'm driving again as of today.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-15

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi steppers,

Elaine, so glad your elbow is going to recover w/o surgery and you're driving. Hope you knee solves itself.

I'm getting to some things and putting off somethings. I guess a regular day. Today have a board meeting and taking a bunch of handouts. Mostly doing a lot of thinking, which doesn't appear to be much, but it helping streamline my visible work.

The pick-up bridge game idea is really exciting me, & a distracting excitement is really something I need.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

41 days to 10-16

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:15 am

Hi steppers,

After starting out playing with the Fibonacci series for my commitment to writing my will, I've strung together 41 days without a miss. Most days it's less than 5 minutes. I've read and learned a lot.

The F. series goes 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13, etc. where beginning with 0 and 1 you continue by adding the two numbers furthest to the right. I would commit to 8 days out of 13, for example.

I'm noticing I'm needing something to "give in" to as a distraction. I resist a bit, and then, "well, OK, for a few minutes." These are, tracking Brexit, watching short videos, product research, and interestingly, Retail Dive articles. Retail Dive reports on the retail industry in all its aspects. Did you know: that apparel sales have dropped by nearly half as a percentage of spending in the past 40 years? From around 6% to 3.1%. Experience spending (travel, restaurants) and electronics have taken up the slack. Or, that sneakers are bucking the trend and selling more now.

What am I going to do with all this knowing? No idea.

To the page to work up a handout for a presentation @ 1 pm.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm writing a list of things I want to accomplish: Some of the exercises for hip and knee, editing and querying agents, gardening, other chores.

Go, Everyone!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Feeling like crap but want to post. Can't do anything right now but want to write goals for when I can. The Procrastination Busters thread was for procrastination -- stuff put off for a long time rather than daily steps. When I come back I need to do the following:

Set up wifi. would allow me to use the computer daily instead of off and on
Learn how to use my phone for music, set up playlist etc music would help me get through the days
Figure out what to do about Medicare which has to be decided on before December 18th
don't have enough money to pay for Medicare. have been on disability for 15 years. no work. need money to pay for health care. best I can do is get back to working daily on saving money instead of trying to earn it
find program for keeping track of spending. don't know how to google to find those programs. would help to know where my money is going in order to save in certain areas.
need cat sitter. going away for first time in years in November.
many more procrastination items that would help me get through my life
many long term procratination like the wifi and music
buy wireless headphones to listen to music
so much long list all would help
write letter to father's wife to see if she can help me find my brother. was so looking foward to hearing his voice on the phone
need to get new eye glasses. if I had money i'd just go do it. but i have to get it from free program which takes time. it's getting bad. I really need to do so much.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Elaine, you always seem to handle your physical challenges with such grace and class. I admire that about you. I know they are all very challenging. I wish I could handle mine as well as you do yours. Class act, my dear.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-19-19

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 pm

Inspire Success wrote:find program for keeping track of spending. don't know how to google to find those programs. would help to know where my money is going in order to save in certain areas.

Inspire, I spent about a year and a half preparing myself for possibly working in the financial literacy area. Didn't pan out, but I learned a couple of things. We also have some practices that might relate.

The simplest strategy, and my personal method, is open up spreadsheet pages and list your expenses. We have different sheets for each category: food, donations, office expenses, car costs, etc. We list the date, amount, company, and purpose.

My partner rolls these into monthly and annual totals. We list everything. I spent $3 on a root beer Wednesday evening, and we listed it.

For online tools, one popular one is Mint.com run by Intuit (makers of Turbotax and QuickBooks).

From here you might try: alternativeto.net and it will list other apps/sites similar to Mint.

My own recent days: got to bridge on Friday! I'm feeling constant pressure to stay on work tasks but it was good to go play. It's a very casual drop-in game at a rec center about 2 miles from my house. Got a ride home with a man who plays at his retirement community (if he can recruit 3 other players) which is about 5 blocks from my house.

And tonight I took a long walk and worked out a materials problem with a section of a training I'm responsible for. Feeling very upbeat. Tomorrow may attend a workshop on the Tarot at a metaphysical bookstore.

Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Hmmmm..........thought I posted but maybe I didn't press send!

PROCRASTINATION SUCCESSES
Sent note to my Dad's wife to get my brother's address. I want very much to hear my brother's voice on the phone after not hearing it for about 30 years.

Ordered headphones (wireless) from Best Buy. Hope to use with watching TV so I can control volume and not bother neighbors because of my hearing loss. Also, hope to listen to music while cooking and cleaning. Can't have music on because of neighbors etc. Would like to listen to my CD's. I hope I can do that through my TV and Blue Ray player. Realize these may not work. Need to return IMMEDIATELY so I don't lose return money.

Thanks, Lynx, for info. Glad to hear you're finding people to play bridge with.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories