October 2019 Daily stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: October 2019 Daily stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Budget program. What I really want is what I had before – a spreadsheet that I set up myself that had columns of items across the top that totaled up at the bottom so I know how much I spend in each category per month. Then a simple total of income and a total of expenses at the bottom each month. It was really simple. I did look at Mint but it looks like the similar thing that my bank offers me and another website I looked at before. They decide on categories instead of just letting me set it up the way I want it to be. Also Mint takes money directly from my checking account or credit card and I didn't like that set up which was how my bank did it. Mint (and other the other program I looked at) offer way more than I need. It's overwhelming.

Which brings up another thing on my Pro List. Sign up for my neighborhood.com and next-door.com (org?). I might be able to find some teenager who lives close by who would like to make some extra money helping me deal with things on my computer and my cell phone. It wouldn't take very long to set up the excel program I want. So many things on my phone I need help with.

Another thing on the Pro List. Go to the library where teenagers help old geezers figure out how to use their phones.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:42 pm

I've waited for years to reconnect to my designer/artist/musician/writer/textiles/creative self. It seems what I've always considered my essential self is totally dormant and has been for years. I can't wait any longer. I need a central focus.

What I've focused on this past year has been making people connections by joining two churches (and wanting to join the YMCA and take classes). I thought of it as creating a support system before I immerse myself in some creative endeavor that would keep me home alone working on my projects. I'm now thinking that maybe the people connection needs to continue to be my main focus. I keep telling myself that can't be a central focus because it's not an artistic or creative thing. Also, I tell myself that I'm not a "people person". I'm not a total introvert but I'm definitely not an extrovert. I'm an HSP if anybody has ever read that book. Also, my hearing loss makes a really difficult for me to connect with people in groups or noisy situations. So those are all my excuses. But making connections with people seems to be really important to me and I haven't made enough yet to feel like I've achieved what I want.

I don't know where to write about all of this stuff so I apologize for using a lot of space in the stepping section. I thought about starting my own thread somewhere but I don't know exactly what I would title it so I'm going to leave here for now. I thought maybe I would put it in the wishes and obstacles. I might do that. In fact, rather than continuing here I will set up the wishes and obstacles focused on becoming a people person.

What I will try to focus on here is my procrastination list. Many of the things on the list would make my life so much better, so much more enjoyable like being able to listen to music when I'm not feeling well. The list just kept getting longer and since I didn't have a central focus my energy was all over the place.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi, All,

Congratulations on sending the letter, Inspire. and thanks for the kind words. At first it looked like I'd never get any better, and that was really hard to take. Now I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. One thing I noticed - I took a few small steps. - called doctor, told primary care dr about my hip and knee, got the X-ray, have appointment. Small steps, but they make me feel like there is a solution to it all.

Concerning linking up with other people (this is my opinion only) It's so important to connect with people. As Barbara Sher would say, Isolation is the dream killer. Lately, I'm not feeling it, and sometimes I've chosen not to go to my writers groups or to church, or to something else, and that's always been a bad mistake. Even if I have a terrible time, (once a lady talked non-stop for thirty minutes) people is still better than no people. I'm always better off if I go be with people.

My goals for today - one birthday card and four phone calls that I've been postponing. sent the card made two phone call, Made two other phone calls with no success *medical appointments) Remember your metaphor, Lynx - chores are like golf. The last two phone calls were a par two, and so far, I'm I'm at about a boggie 5

My writing - I'm writing, but I don't always keep track of how much time I spend, so I don't know how many steps I take each day.

Exercising - I'm successfully doing something each day. (I did some of the hip exercises while waiting in line at the supermarket.) it's not a lot, but better than nothing. I'm cautious about taking pain killers, so I'm more worried about overdoing than doing too little.

Okay, happy stepping.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Oct 22

Postby Lynx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 am

Hello crawlers,

Inspire write whatever you need to here. Count writing about our struggles as a 'step.'

Search on likely terms with excel in the search line and see what shows up. Here's one site: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-helpfu ... -finances/

My own day: I'm tottering tween (1) literally working morning, afternoon, & night. Versus (2) sort of working the morning, working the afternoon, and quietly waiting my turn to talk at a City Council public hearing at night.

If I go with 1 I'll maybe have a productive day and need to take Wed off. If I go with 2 less productive today, but energy reserves to dig in again Tomorrow.

I'm going with 2.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Oct 22

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Lynx wrote:Inspire write whatever you need to here. Count writing about our struggles as a 'step.' Lynx

Thanks, Lynx.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote: At first it looked like I'd never get any better, and that was really hard to take. Now I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. One thing I noticed - I took a few small steps. - called doctor, told primary care dr about my hip and knee, got the X-ray, have appointment. Small steps, but they make me feel like there is a solution to it all.
I'm glad you've done this. It's good to have some hope.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:41 am

Hi folks,

Reading my posts from April 2016 — I'd reached such a bottom in my lack of success in getting paid work. Around then I'd signed on for SS retirement because any cash flow is better than none. Now I'm working 6 to 6.5 days a week. One of my angst giving issues was to leave, or take off, my PhD. Everything I do now needs that PhD and everyone knows I have one. Already have the highest earnings ever as an indie consultant with 3 more months to go. From the valley to the summit.

Interesting psychic feed on the financial literacy front. I ran into the CEO of the local food bank and he mentioned a project he's involved in doing exactly that. Though my project failed to reach my goals for it (present it 500 times to 1000 people) I did share it on my blog. Sent him the link last night. I'll see what comes of this, this time.

Keep steppin,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:22 am

I remember 2016, Lynx. And now - you're living the success story. I'm so glad that I've been able to watch it happen on the Boards. Back in 2016, did you ever think all these good things would happen?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 am

Inspire, our library has the same program to help seniors with computers and phones. I'm not sleeping much, and that makes me sluggish, but I plan to go to the lib. next Wednesday night and ask as many questions as I can think of.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Congrats, Lynx. I, too, remember your many challenges back in 2016. I'm so glad things have improved so much for you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Elaine wrote:I remember 2016, Lynx. And now - you're living the success story. I'm so glad that I've been able to watch it happen on the Boards. Back in 2016, did you ever think all these good things would happen?

No idea. Back then I anguished over whether to use my PhD or not on my resume for good enough jobs. I got my food handlers license again. The first time, maybe 20 years ago, it was only mildly troubling. In my 60s to apply again was disturbing. This whole thing of overqualified is some working person's idea of a cruel joke. When I bring my cash no clerk wonders if it's overqualified to pay the bill.

I'm not one to take a good enough job, make a commitment to it to my employer, and then quit when something seemingly better comes along. I keep my word in other words.

The turning point came around when I 'gave up' in some degree and began accepting SS retirement checks.

No predicting any of this. It's sometimes too much, now, but I set my steps and step to them.

What a turnaround,

L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Inspire Success, Are you good at Excel? If yes, that may be all you need to work up your budget.

Lynx, I'm so glad your PhD is now prominent. It's an important part of who you are. I was one of the people who said to leave it out if you are applying for a job for which you are overqualified. And I feel a bit bad about that. I've been on the other side of interviewing and I've seen applicants get rejected because they were overqualified.

Me - I'm down there at the bottom, a similar situation to yours in 2016. I don't need money - which is great - I'm not rich, but I'm comfortable. I have ideas spinning in my head,but not actual steps to reaching my goal, And of course there's always the nagging thought - what if I'm just not good enough? I will revisit the problem in my next post. I'm hosting at my house on Saturday, and I'm going to spend the next couple of hours shopping and cleaning.

Happy stepping,

Elaine
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am

Writing will be taking a backseat to hosting for the next couple of days. I love my book club, and I love cooking (cleaning not so much) so this will be a fun break. I wish I didn't hurt so much.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

10-26

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Today lisftul and lazy.

Made a new format for very tight planning of my days when necessary. Repotted an African Violet, cut my hair, napped, vacuumed a bit. Reading casual stuff.

Still need more sleep, so keeping things light.

Happy steps to all,
L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories