The Will the Will — Notarized

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

The Will the Will — Notarized

Postby Lynx » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Well, I managed it. Not so fast, but each step easy. Beginning in October I set myself the duty of doing one step every day around completing my will. One principle of stepwork I use is "do the work but do it slant" to maul Emily Dickinson's "tell the truth but tell it slant."

Way back in May, I led two workshops on Kaipa Pyramids, a tool for revealing ones inner skeleton for achieving a goal. I forget what I worked on the first class, but for the second class I used writing my will to demonstrate the tool. This exercise brought out my will would make some things easier for others than if I had no will. The other aha was my huge dislike of things official and legal. A will is a legal football.

This distaste for the legal threw up the biggest barrier. By luck, I happened to take a break during a workshop with another participant who had just learned Motivational Interviewing. Oh, good, I said, let's practice. I have something you might be able to help me resolve in 10 minutes. Then I told her about my barrier. I forget what we said after that, but by the end of the 10 minutes I had my approach: write 2 (TWO) wills! One for fun for "myself" and one for serious for "the law." The will for myself I called my parody will and this idea lead into fun researches.

Next I watched my calendar for an opening where I felt I might get a strong start and keep it up daily for a week or so. After that first successful week, I continued with keeping the string of days alive without a break. I took 100 days, with no misses. Not for weekends, not for holidays. Nothing got in the way of keeping myself on this string of days.

These two versions were created on a google doc using the table format: my parody on the left and the legal version on the right. [for security reasons, my draft legal version didn't have precise details about my property or wealth]

As I have walked this trail I learned many other people run when the word "will" is mentioned, or worse, "death." It's rather interesting that I'm working among several senior centers at the moment with personal contacts with ... five! I'll keep mentioning my process and see where it leads.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: The Will the Will — Notarized

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:43 am

Well done, Lynx! Or should I write "Will done!" :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 am

Yes!!!
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 am

Yay you, and humor for the win.

Wills are something we've been meaning to do Real Soon Now for years.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Thanks for the pats on the back

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:44 am

Oh, thank you. Thank you.

I'm very curious about this struggle to get these types of words on paper, Lyndon, because I too once had that sentiment. Now that it's done, I have lost the intention to do one. Don't miss it.

In S. Korea, there's a service where people experience a mock death. They sit alone and write their "last message" to themselves and others. They put on the traditional robes Koreans are buried in. They are lead by a masked figure (Death) to pine caskets. They lay in them. The lid is placed (there's a breathing hole). Assistants "nail" the caskets shut by tapping the lid with a hammer.

And they lie there an unannounced length of time. When time is called they are led back to their reflection desks by another masked figure, Rebirth.

The creator of this ritual envisioned it while doing research on Koreans' views about dying. He considers it a vaccination against suicide in a culture where the working aged are in "hurry-hurry" mode and the elderly are being shoved into shantytowns. There's a suicide there every 33 minutes (about 44 a day).

Had I entrusted this to a form or a lawyer I might never have come across this.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Thank you for writing about the mock death!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Whoohoo!! Yay! Yippee!

Thanks for posting this in it's very own spot. It deserves it.

I think the concept of posting the parody next to the real at the same time is brilliant. I think I read so many small details about it in the stepping thread that I didn't have a broad overview of it like I do now that you explained it in such basic terms. Thank you for that. I was rooting for you in that project but finding it hard to follow step-by-step.

Ahhh....I feel such relief! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories