Jaunary 2020 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Jaunary 2020 Daily Stepping

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Here we go into 2020—

Peace Pilgrim wrote:Live in the present. Do the things that need to be done. Do all the good you can each day. The future will unfold.

Share your steps, offer support, receive the same. Rinse. Repeat.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

2nd

Postby Lynx » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 am

Hi Steppers,

Back to consulting day. My client has two days of retreat scheduled today and tomorrow. I'm presenting tomorrow, but taking everything today just in case there's a late juggle.

That covers my map.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Jaunary 2020 Daily Stepping

Postby Lyndon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 am

Surfacing -- sorry to vanish last year, without at least waving "Off for a while. See you later." Rude of me. (Grumbles at self).

Year had progress, learning experiences, detours, and net improvement, and was not overwhelming. Though some of it felt overwhelming-adjacent.

The daily step I'm aiming for is to start each day with writing that can help me keep in touch with friends. Doing this first -- before checking email, and doing it last "for dessert" reliably just doesn't happen.

I set alarm, had almost clear schedule, and Things Happened last two days of the year so far.

Meeting and nurturing new local friendships has gone wonderfully well! We spent New Year's Afternoon/Eve dinner with almost a dozen enjoyable friends that we didn't know last year. But drifted away both from formerly-local friends we moved a thousand miles away from, and some long running online physically distant friends.

To be continued.

Lyndon
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

1/4 friends

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:10 am

Hello step-friends,

Lyndon, I smile to read about your surprise new friends. You're probably a likeable fellow. I watched a few videos on improv acting. One of the instructors told his class that as they pair or team up, some people will be picked or 'drafted' more than others. Learn to be that person. There's more to being that person than excellence at improv. I guess you have those mysterious other skills.

It's been an intention of mine to get new friends since a few years ago when several died. I looked up and said to myself, oh, I need more (and younger) friends. I have a list of friends to contact now that I've constructed my work schedule over the next several weeks.

Not as hi-tension about work as I was even a few short weeks ago. Have follow-up details to enter and email. Then a walk & bus to libraries. I need them right away and it's a dry day, so far.

To the tasks then to the stacks,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 pm

It's a cold and lazy day. I'm slowly but surely stepping out of the world of convalescing (AKA lying around - just me and the television) and into the world of people and fresh air. We had great writers' party yesterday. I got all inspired. I was going to spend all of today writing. That didn't last long. Barbara Sher is right - isolation is the dream killer. I'm dog-sitting Kelly for my friend. Which is mostly fun, except that I stepped in #@$#$^#$ with a pair of good shoes. I'm hoping I didn't ruin them, but I probably did. No good deed goes unpunished.

Hi, Lyndon, it's always fun having your thoughts.

Great starter, Lynx. I didn't notice it til yesterday.

Step carefully, but keep steppin'.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Educating yourself in public

Postby Lynx » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Found this quote I feel relates to running with ya’ll on this thread.

Educating yourself in public is painful, but the lessons stick. Peter Schjeldahl, The Art of Dying, New Yorker, 12/23/19.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1-7-19

Postby Lynx » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:10 am

Hi steps,

Made a change of plans decision this morning to stay in rather than dash out and spend all day in the rain. Always a long internal 'discussion' when this comes up: the things I intended to do are usually long thought about or for my enjoyment vs there's always work to attend to in some form or fashion; and I think of the morrow and the days after to convince myself "I must conserve my strength." Any minor body complaint (currently a ticklish throat) is brought in for consultation, too.

So, staying put re-shuffles my to-do list. #A at the moment is finding out how to port my phone away from Virgin Mobile-Sprint-Boost Mobile and get my remaining balance returned. Sprint bought VM and is shutting it down. In the process it's transferring my account to Boost Mobile where the rates are 5x higher than what I am paying now! I did some research and there's a plan on Tello that keeps me in the Sprint network and that's $5 a month for 300 minutes with zero costs for texts plus zero GB data. This is a direct fit as I have a G3 (my guess) Kyocero Marbl flip phone only for occasional use and couldn't use data if I wanted.

I've been thinking of buying a fresh flip phone, but the current one works and I have enough to do to get my money out of VM without adding complexity. Saving a penny, still, as the first graders who finished proverbs wrote: a penny saved is not much.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Lyndon wrote:Meeting and nurturing new local friendships has gone wonderfully well! We spent New Year's Afternoon/Eve dinner with almost a dozen enjoyable friends that we didn't know last year. Lyndon

Please, please, please, tell me how you did this. I'm so lost with trying to meet new friends.

P.S. Welcome back!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

E Key refresh

Postby Lynx » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Hello everyone,

For the past 2 wEEks my E key has had the stickies. Watched a video on how to pry off the key and dust underneath. Took a long breath and gave it a try. Much better.

There's a goal to put on and check off the list. This MacBook Air is over 8 years old and I have put it through hard 6 hours of daily use for months on end. Would love another 5 years from it.

Got my letters written and sent to Sprint & Virgin Mobile. Sent them to the CEO's hinting that I would get busy telling anyone I could think might be interested including the Class Counsel for a TracFone class action suit 5 years that Walmart and TracFone lost. I'll track delivery, and as soon as I can print proof they have been received the letters I'm porting to a new company.

Interestingly enough, if my new company [Tello] has similar sound quality, as it should being on the same Sprint network, my annual costs will go down (!) from about $90 to $66. Plus, I get the same 100 minutes a month at less costs per minute (5¢ vs 20¢) and free texts vs 20¢/text. Get to keep my phone. Minutes don't roll over, so this might make me use my phone more, not less. Will you look at that.

Last major step is to get the porting done.

By February I'll either I get a refund for my $45 or I gird myself to slog out the long process of a class action suit. I'm relatively low in the 'class,' there are customers with 100s of $ in their balance. THEY are not to be dissuaded and will lead the way.

I'll keep you posted,

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

New years resolutions project

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm

I usually have this finished and ready for the new year but I had a major mental/emotional meltdown in December and didn't get it done.

My process is long and complicated but I like it and it works for me.

Step one. Read over, think, meditate, journal write about last year's goals. This is a long process that I enjoy.

Step two. Write down what worked and what didn't (example of this later).

Step three. Write new goals for this year.

I always think of my goals as..."by the end of this year I would like...." I'm not the kind of person who says, "Starting on January first I'm going to exercise at the gym 5 days a week". Waste of time and effort. I give myself a YEAR to accomplish a YEAR'S WORTH of SUCCESS! It's a lot easier that way, at least for me.

The actual goals, by the way, are EXTREMELY SIMPLE. For instance,one of last year's was MAKE ONE NEW INTIMATE FRIEND THIS YEAR. My actual journal writing is extensive, but the final goals are extremely simple and easy to post on my wall.

I gave a really long example of my process and how it worked last year on a thread in Success Stories. If you want to read it you can check it out there.

Happy New Year to everyone!

P.S. Did I actually make one new intimate friend last year? No. But if you go read the example, you'll see what I got instead.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi steppers,

Yes, Inspire, I read the longer example and offered a response.

I'd like more days that on-balance are fun. Last year over-saturated me on politics—organizational, condo, city, county, a bit of national, and international. I followed Brexit while it was mostly uncertain. Now that the Brexiteers have their majority in Parliament, not much fun anymore.

Followed the Hong Kong protests. That's becoming a long intractable situation. The archetypes of freedom and fairness vs control and dominance. Here we go again. In some ways similar to the Puritan martyrs vs the Monarch in the run-up to Civil War in England in the 1620s. Curious how what England's leaders set up had completely flipped in 350 years.

My new online interest will be watching for developments around new cancer treatments. I happened to notice the keynote at a major treatment conference was something like "The Hype about big changes coming up is real." Like with Brexit, I enjoy being a witness to history when the chance occurs.

I've found two drop-in bridge games at nearby enough community centers. One meets Tuesdays, the other on Fridays. Maximum chances to play are 104 times in a year, but allowing for holidays and surprise closings, that's still about 90 times a year. So, to follow Inspire, my goal for the year is 9 times or more that I simply show up and play! I chalked #1 yesterday when I arrived late after visiting the post office and played for about 90 minutes. I have later goals about getting a steady partner and play competitively. When I reset for 2021, who knows?

To my day,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm

HI, Steppers,

I'm slowly but surely, getting out of the house and into the big world outside. It's really tempting to hole up inside. The weather's cold, and I've had to stay quiet and heal for so long, it's hard to break the habit. And I'm steppin' along with editing. The big step will be to start the publishing, marketing process, which is next to impossible for me.

One interesting step and unexpected benefit of surgery - my doctor gave me (which I had to pay for) an on-line program to prepare for surgery and to help heal after surgery. The program had something each day including a piece of information - like bot Tylenol and some narcotics contain acetomenaphin (sorry about the spelling) and you shouldn't take them together. Some exercises to do, and meditations. And the meditations were really helpful. They had to do with coping with pain. And coping with a lot of other stressful things. The meditations were surprisingly helpful. And there are similar meditations on line for free. At first I couldn't get any sound for the meditations, so I just looked on line for something that ran for about ten minutes on the subject that I was supposed to be listening to. Anyway, I have a surprisingly improved attitude most of the time. (Occasionally, the narrator mentioned things to be grateful for - Barbara Sher would not be pleased. But I've always believed that a good rant is theraputic, but it should be balanced out with a view of the non-rant things in my life. One of the lines of the meditation goes "Your body is doing the very best that it can to get well."

Good wishes to you all.

Elaine
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:56 pm

My latest idea for work is to dog walk. I love walking dogs. It's fun. They have a very positive attitude on life. They are always in moment. It would get me outdoors and get some exercise. Most of all, 3 walks at $20 per walk would pay for my health insurance, which is why I need the money.

I've been letting people know about it but not getting much response. I think I'll start a wishes and obstacles thread in hopes of getting ideas.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Here's what Lynx posted in another thread:

I see a great skill at writing, description, and summarizing. These are skills people will pay you to use, you can do from home, and except for the hand-off and hand-back meetings, don't involve much person-to-person interactions as part of the work. My mother was always hustling and made a quite a bit of pocket money by typing papers, theses and dissertations for college students. Not writing them, but typing them or taking their marked up drafts and re-typing them. When I get real busy or just don't want to bother, I hire people to fix my marked up drafts. This service is especially appreciated by foreign students whose grasp of the nuances of English spelling (ex.,[i]peek or peak?) and grammar are not yet fully fluent. It's also appreciated by seniors writing their memoirs...
[/i]
Here's my response to that. I love to edit. Most writers hate it. I wouldn't be any help with the actual typing and editing like spelling, etc. I love editing the words. I had to have someone else edit my masters thesis because the technical parts of punctuation, etc. are not my strong suit.

The only part of your suggestion that might work for me is editing seniors' memoirs. They might be more open to editing. Most writers hate the idea of someone mucking up their words. I'll have to think about that.

I would be willing to do some editing for free to see what would come of it. I could offer to do a certain amount of editing for a senior memoir writing group to see how it would work. If they liked what I did for them they could write responses that I could use to promote future paid work.

But editing the words. Editing the story. Ahhh................ that's so much fun. But writers are very protective of their work and usually resist even a professional editor's work. Seniors who have never done any writing might be more open.

Oh, wouldn't it be fun to interview them! Talk over what they've written to get a better feel for their story- telling ability verbally. Hmmm.... all sorts of ideas. Dog sitting first to get the money for health insurance I need in March.

Maybe I should let go of trying to get paid for editing and just have fun doing it for people.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:32 am

Dog walking is a no-go. You can read why in the thread. Pooh. Disappointing. I really need something steady so I can know I can pay the health insurance monthly not just occasionally.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories