Jaunary 2020 Daily Stepping

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

1/14/20 dog walking scratched

Postby Lynx » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am

inspiresuccess wrote:Dog walking is a no-go. You can read why in the thread. Pooh. Disappointing. I really need something steady so I can know I can pay the health insurance monthly not just occasionally.

Yes, disappointing. I have some thoughts which I'll post on the w/o thread.

Longtime members of this thread watched my personal struggles with finding income a few years ago. It is a struggle.

My own steps: the letters to the CEO's at Sprint and Virgin Mobile have arrived in Kansas City, KS. Printed out the email from USPS. Now to port my phone. Next up. Then a bunch of work related steps. Funspot today: watching a limited time stream of a bioducumentary about Darryl Hammond, the actor/commedian who played Clinton on SNL.

Porting, if all goes well, takes two days. Nothing is ever all goes well, though,
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Jaunary 2020 Daily Stepping

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Once I get my life in order financially I want to look into ghost writing as a long-time real life Barbara Sher dream. I did a quick Google and looked on Amazon. Two books about ghosting writing.

Now back to real life and real part-time job.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

1-15-20 Ides of January

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am

Hello everyone,

In the ancient Roman calendar the middle of every month was its 'ides.' Today is the ides of January.

My issues with Virgin Mobile are slogging along. Got a notice that the CEO's had their mail picked up. Next up is porting my phone from VM to Tello. After six calls (I numbered them) back and forth, the rep at VM said, I think you need your phone unlocked from us. Well, duh, yeah. Unlock was the key term. Not sure why the Tello rep didn't use it or the VM rep understand the need right off. Anyway, a day or two wait for this request to clear and I try porting again.

About to do a 15 research dash to find out if accepting a partial refund now forecloses on getting all my money (about $45) back later. If VM can somehow say that they offered less than $45 and I accepted they have no further obligation to refund the rest. Ah, legal and lawyers ... grrrrrr!

[later] The legal concept is "accord and satisfaction" which means that if there's a paper trail of my agreeing to partial payment, then I forgo the rest. This may force a decision to accept a partial payment now and move on with life … OR ... cast my lot with the class action suit, endure delay, and get maybe a partial payment or none at all. And who knows when?

Other: prep for a workshop on Friday.

To the page,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

possible job

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 pm

I found an ideal job for me. It doesn't require a resume (which I don't have) and has the hours and flexibility and pay I want. All I need to do is write an email and send it. The job posting is open until 2/8. Cross your fingers for me. It's posted on the community college job board. I know they are looking for a student. I have hand tremors which slow down my typing speed, plus I'm not as comfortable on a computer as a student would be. But there are lots of benefits of a senior compared to a student so I think I have a good chance. In the meantime, I'll keep looking.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm wondering how long an email to send. Should it be as long as a resume? Or keep it short?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

updates

Postby Lynx » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi Inspire,

This just in: a free part-time networking expo webinar next Thurs sponsored by AARP.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks, Lynx. I appreciate the help you're giving me with this job hunt.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Lynx, thanks for PMing me. I feel comfortable putting it here in case others want to respond.

Here's the link for the job I want:

https://www.alumnicentral.com/CCNEngine ... CountHit=1

That didn't work. I cut and pasted it. I'll have to post the whole thing here. The reason they refer to class schedule and GPA is because it's a jobs website for students and alumni of the community college I went to and worked at. I definitely plan to mention that I'm a senior citizen in the email.

Office Assistant - Hours are flexible to your class schedule
$20/hr Part Time

Healthcare Training Institute — Walnut Creek, CA 94597

Job ID: 6111283

Date Posted: 01/09/2020 Deadline: 02/08/2020

Job Description

Skills and Requirements:

The successful applicant

--has an interest in a variety of clerical and administrative assistant tasks

--is detail-oriented

--has a positive attitude

Degrees Wanted

None Required

Majors Wanted

Any Major

Job Targets Wanted

Administration; Database Management; Office and Administrative Support

Minimum GPA

Special Skills Wanted

Accurate with details

Other Requirements

Hours: Flexible to your class schedule, part-time daytime hours. Hours can range from 5-15 hours per week depending upon your availability and skill level. You set your own hours.

Pleasant small business work environment in Walnut Creek. Our company provides online educational courses for professional development.

Company Website

http://onlineceucredit.com

Company Description

Provide online continuing education courses to fulfill professional licensing requirements.

Equal Opportunity Employer

Yes

Contact Information

Tracy Appleton
223 Tiburon Court
Walnut Creek, CA 94597
925-954-8866
employment.hti@gmail.com
Application Instructions:

Email: employment.hti@gmail.com

Email Subject: "DVC Ad: Office Assistant - Flexible Daytime Hours"
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

gig for Inspire

Postby Lynx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 am

Thanks Inspire for listing this listing.

A page of tips and other thoughts.

One of the things I often did was look for tips, templates, or samples of letters.
here's one for part time office work.: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/part- ... es-2060262

I'd run it through a wordle type app to see if the words you use most approximate what the employer said they wanted.
This type of app is called a word cloud generator. They are a lot of fun.

I would check out their ratings on glassdoor if they have one.

If you could step into the office you'll get an immediate sense of whether they mean what they claim about informality. This also suggests you might hand deliver your letter rather than send an email.

I also suggest writing a draft very soon, while you're feeling excited. Set it aside a day or so. Read it aloud.

The first advice about writing I got from one of my college professor friends: tie a pen around your neck, meaning, stay ready. Always have a pencil and pad near to grab those fleeting packets of brilliant text that will flit casually across your mind. They don't tarry and they are recalled only with an outsized effort.

When I'm getting down to the final polished version I have my text-to-speech function on the computer read it out loud as I read along. It's a way to scour for those pesky typos like its and it's.

Keep us posted,
Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 pm

I took a quick look at the link. I think what I have in mind for the email is what is called a cover letter. I've been writing it in my head since I found it. I also, found the website for the actual office I would be in, which is different from the website for the original place this outfit is in.

The amazing thing is that the office here relates somewhat to the job I had at the community college!

I hope I'm not "getting my hopes up" as my parents use to warn me. But I have a good feeling about this job.

I have some disabilities that I have to deal with and I think I have a way to address them in my interview. A lot of the job will be done on the computer and I have hand tremors. Some days I can type and can write by hand just fine. Other days the tremors get the best of me. But the people say I can set my own hours. I'm thinking if I'm having trouble with my hands one day, I can make it up by working longer the next day. But I think they deserve to know the truth about my hands before they hire me. It wouldn't be fair not to.

Hopefully, I won't have to answer the phone. I don't think I will have to. I have hearing loss and have trouble on the phone. Since they say the job can be as little as 5 hours per week my guess I won't have to deal with the phone.

Those are two things I'm going to have to tackle in the interview. I have some ideas of how to do that.

The other big challenge is what did I do for the past 15 years since I quit my college job? I know they will ask that. The truth is I was on disability. I'm thinking of telling the truth -- I've been on disability for "many years'" but have been well for the past 2 years. I'm now look for part-time work again.

I'm going to go back to the website you sent and read up on cover letters.

RE: resume. I don't have one. I haven't needed one for so many years I don't know where the last one even exists anymore. The fact that they requested an email instead of having me download my resume is a good sign. They're looking for a young student from a community college to do some office work for 5 hours a week. I think they don't expect students to have resumes. Another thing to my advantage.

Just in case, during the next 2 weeks before deadline for submission ends, I'll try to come up with some sort of resume. Since I started full-time work at the age of 19 and I'm now 65, it makes it hard. I did a lot of part-time, short-time jobs and lots of freelance work. I won't have actual dates for anything. I'll do what I can in case they ask or for other jobs if I don't get this one. I don't even know the dates for the college job which is the last one I held.

I feel it in bones that this is my job! I can't think what a kid would have over me except being faster on the computer. I've reread their ad several times and it looks like they want accuracy over speed. They say things like "detail oriented". Besides, I'm looking for something long term. I won't be leaving at the end of semester or at the end of the year.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

resume

Postby Lynx » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:01 am

Hi Inspire,

Seems you need a functional resume. This site has a basic description with sample layout. Notice that it's one page. After being laid off in 2014 one of my first tasks was wrestling my work life history onto one page. Had to chuck a lot of "maybes."

Another thing I did once when applying for a temporary gig as a conference organizer was diagram the project's work flow. It demonstrated initiative and that I had begun to think about it. Imagine being able to say, "Hiring me will start to show benefits the longer I stay and I intend to work here as long as we both feel its of mutual benefit. According to Deloitte and Glassdoor, the hidden cost of hiring a new employee is $4000 and takes about 10 weeks. A community college student expects to graduate in two years, and then there are breaks for school holidays and over the summer. I am available to work 52 weeks of the year. My reliability will increase the productivity of your other staff because of my consistency and longevity in the job."

Or something along those lines.

Oh, I got the gig.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks, Lynx.

I appreciate these links you're giving me.

Feeling a bit down today. 45 years ago at the age of 20 I worked full-time doing mindless clerical work to make a living. I feel like I'm right back where I started, which is incredibly depressing. I don't own a home or have children or have anything tangible that I can point to that shows I did anything for 45 years. Yes, I did get my BA and MA but didn't use any of it to help me get jobs. (The reason I got the MA was thanks to Barbara Sher and this Board). I did get my designs published (thanks to Barbara Sher) but that was 25 years ago. My only achievement for the past 15+ years is to avoid permanent homelessness. Doesn't feel like it's much of an accomplishment. Oh, yeah. I kept myself from killing myself when I was suicidal much of the time.

I'm feeling glum.

I'm trying to remind myself of the differences from then and now. I will only have to do 5 hours a week of this work to pay the bills. Anything more than 5 hours will go into savings to help buy a car in the future. My car is 20 years old. I"m still scared of what will happen if I can't work at all again. I don't have enough income to pay the bills if that happens.

Glum, glum, glum. It's sunny out. I'm going to go read a novel!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ups and downs

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Inspire,

I once felt a similar disappointment with how hard it was to find self-respecting work. You may recall my distressed messages whenever I needed to get a food handler's license or when I was "advised" by an "expert" in getting seniors work to remove my PhD from my resume. Got the license, never used, kept the PhD on resume and dropped that advisor. But it was inwardly hell.

We're never without our inner critics. They collect every negative feeling, every put down, every dismissal, every insult, from any source, believe it, and wait and dump it when we most need to cheer ourselves on.

Don't feed it. Put off "dealing with it" till after you land the job/gig and then keep stepping towards this goal. One thing that occurred to me was to say to yourself this could be the entry level break that might lead to lots of things. With your skills in writing you could certainly assist with their work. First, though, you have to get on their team and this is a perfect stealth way to do it.

Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:23 am

Lynx, thanks so much for your support and insight. It's helping. My goal is to get the email done this weekend and get it off my mind so I can move on to creating a resume, etc. I'm obsessing about this little job. My biggest worry is the hand tremors and hearing. I can't even answer the phone. I may struggle with typing and hand-writing. If it really is "set your own hours" I might be able to work longer on days the tremors aren't there and not go in or only work an hour when the tremors are bad. An Equal Opportunity Employer, which they list themselves as, should be able to work around some people's disabilities.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi, Steppers,

It's cold. It's tempting to stay inside and veg, but I've done too much of that. I'm still transitioning from stay-at-home-and-do-nothing to getting out in the world and being with people. Yesterday, I invited three friends to dinner. - Success - We had fun. I did the normal worrying - am I doing this right? Will we have fun? It came out just fine. My rules for not being depressed (as I've probably said before) are get out of the house. Be around people. Get exercise. I haven't done these things everyday. But I"m getting better

I should add - it's easy for me to look on a dinner party - like yesterday's - and find fault. I'm not going to do that. I'm just happy that I did it, and we had fun.

. Okay so off to the outside world. I have a writers' group meeting today.

Oops. I never made it into the outside world.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories