February 2020 Daily Steps

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

February 2020 Daily Steps

Post by Lynx »

Hello,

This thread is one of the last three (Feb., March, & April) before Barbara closes the site down on May 1. Here are a couple of quotes that Inspire Success posted on the quotes thread (that she founded along with this one):

Nothing is exciting if you know what the outcome will be. ~ Joseph Campbell

Creativity is the process of discovering something you did not start out with. ~ Collingwood

There will much discussion from now till May about alternatives and such. And there's also creative projects, the biggest of which is the long slog to getting the life we want for ourselves.

Post your ambitions and we'll cheer when you reach them, share your sadness at set backs, and applaud your vents.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Feb 3

Post by Lynx »

Hello steppers. Today"s steps: continue with my list of Keep the Chain going at least 16 days out of the 29 in the month. These are: quick health routines involving energy work, oil pulling, or 4 minutes for blood circulation (doing one earns a check); bit by bit on taxes; adding phone numbers into my new-for-me flip phone; and tracking the response to the coronavirus.

Also today, I need to draft a description for a workshop I'm running in August.

Otherwise, enjoy my time,

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February 2020 Daily Steps

Post by inspiresuccess »

Lynx, I finally did it. I just sent the email about the job. Thank God that's over. The deadline is Sunday. After that, it's waiting for a response.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

6th

Post by Lynx »

Inspire, Yes!

I guess I was waiting to exhale. So, here I go, Inhale, Exhale.

I noticed on the quotes thread you were interested in how to save posts and quotes and pages.

For a whole page, I use archive.today. It's free with requested donation. It makes a snapshot of the whole page, and when you click on its share button it has a short URL option. If it's already saved they'll tell you.

I copy this short URL and add it to my list of saved pages. For this you can use any spreadsheet. I use Airtable so I can access it from all my computers.

For only a quote or two, I use either a Word document or a Google Doc. Right now, I'm sticking to Google for its access.

There are so many terrific quotes that I'm devoting a bit of time daily to archiving the ones I like.

Lynx

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Inspire, I missed the post where you told about the job you're applying for. What is it? Wishing you good luck with it.

Lynx, thanks for all the info about other sites.

I'm hoping the people who only post here occasionally get the info that this site won't be here after April. - Lyndon, An8el, and others who haven't been around in a long time.

me - I'm having a lot of fun with my garden. Hard work, but I'm choosing to do it and liking it anyway. re writing - I've been editing and editing, and there are still things i want to change but now the really hard part. Figuring out how to self-pub without spending a fortune, starting the marketing. I might be speaking at a book club. And I have to start my blog, and maybe a website, and tweeting (which I still hate) and so forth - all the things that are hard for me and not at all appealing.

Happy stepping, everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Legendary Happiness Class from Yale

Post by Lynx »

Hello, just puttered into the discovery that the most popular course ever taught at Yale, the one on happiness, is free, online on Cousera. https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-scie ... well-being

On the landing page it says it's free, and next to it "scholarships are available." Always good when I can pay less than free.

Considering it and seeing how much I enjoy the Stoic Week prompts and discussions the chances are I will make a go at it.

Elaine, enjoy your garden and re-writing. Re marketing:

Found this sober set of data: According to Bowker’s annual survey of the self-publishing market,“Self-Publishing in the United States, 2013-2018: Print and E-books,” the total number of print and e-books that were self-published in 2018 was 1.68 million, up from 1.19 million in 2017. Bowker measures the size of the market based on the number ISBN’s registered and thus does not include self-published e-books by Amazon’s Kindle division, which uses an Amazon identifier.

Certainly have your work to do,

Lynx

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Lynx, what about just telling them the truth? that I can't pay Medicare and that's why I'm looking for work. Today I just don't feel up to faking it and acting like I just want a job. Or both. I'm shaking so bad this morning there is no way i could do an interview and keep up the facade.

I've just answered my own question. You can't get a job based on sympathy. it has to be based on what you have to offer the company. I hope I can handle the interview assuming I get one.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Elaine, maybe Barbara could put a notice on her other site saying that this site is closed.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Elaine, the job is a little 5-15 hours weekly job in an office. advertised on a college website. obviously, expecting students not seniors. so worried about my hand tremors. my ability to type and write are really weak. Medicare will deduct money from my check on March 1st. totally freaking out which makes the tremors worse.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Back to January

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers.
In January, Inspire wrote:I found an ideal job for me. It doesn't require a resume (which I don't have) and has the hours and flexibility and pay I want. All I need to do is write an email and send it. The job posting is open until 2/8. Cross your fingers for me. It's posted on the community college job board. I know they are looking for a student. I have hand tremors which slow down my typing speed, plus I'm not as comfortable on a computer as a student would be. But there are lots of benefits of a senior compared to a student so I think I have a good chance. In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

Here's the deal. Keep heart. Return to your original spark. What are all the benefits of hiring you!? Also, getting work would likely decrease the hand tremors as your stress level would decrease. As I recall the ad, they said much of the work would be filing.

Found this blog about working with ess. tremors.These might help them accommodate:
The National Tremor Foundation offers some tips for “hacks” that can facilitate smoother on-the-job performance. Here are just a few suggestions:

Ergonomics (from the Greek for “work” + “distribution”) – how comfortable is your chair, desk and work area? Good arm support means less stress for your hands, possibly reducing the degree of tremor. Also, there are assistive devices to steady handwriting and typing.

Has your mouse got you down? There are now software products designed to make using a mouse steadier. Consider looking into them – and, would your work reimburse you?

Voice recognition software is a lifesaver for anyone who has difficulty typing, whether from ET or other disabilities. Not everyone has their own office, of course, but developing a private area at certain hours might be something to speak with your employer about.

Schedule adjustments might be a way to pace yourself so fatigue doesn’t become your worst enemy. Stress and tiredness can worsen tremor, so “gentleness” breaks to pause and regroup might be negotiated even if you have to stay an extra 15 minutes.

The idea of staying ten to fifteen minutes longer because you take short recovery breaks has a lot of say for it.

I also felt when I had too much riding on on application I needed to stay busy getting another one out. You may recall I sent 300 letters and resumes, and maybe 10% I had strong hopes for.

Keep busy.

Lynx

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Thanks, Lynx. I'm going to look into hand assistance for hand writing. I was sounding confident wasn't I? No, they didn't say it would be filing. That I could do. My guess is it's on the computer. They are a company who offers continued education classes online.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

I guess if I keep my hands in my lap during the interview they won't see them. I tend to "talk with my hands" a lot so I'd have to really have to not do that. Tremors in seniors are not uncommon so telling them about them might not make them scared. (People get scared when they see them. They look really serious). After they've hired me :) and they SEE how bad they are they're stuck with me for awhile. They're not going to fire me right away.

The ergonomic keyboard is a key issue. That's what I have. When I've tried a regular keyboard I haven't been able to use it. Should I bring up the keyboard issue during the interview? I could just tell them I'm used to an ergonomic keyboard at home.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Interviews

Post by Lynx »

Hi Inspire. I just looked at the listing you copied in the January Thread and I got "filing" from this line: "--has an interest in a variety of clerical and administrative assistant tasks."

If you're able to keep your hands in your lap or if they shake less if you're holding something, you might practice with that. You'll have to show interest and engagement with your eye contact.

Re: ergonomic keyboard ... That's an "accommodation" that I would reserve until either they notice and ask or after you get a second interview/offer.

Your strongest assets are: you will be reliable and long-serving. If you can be flexible and come in for high-work times, etc. I'd mention that.

In their description they mentioned "detailed minded" so put a spotlight on that. I imagine it's making sure any mailed certificates are addressed correctly, data are entered accurately, etc.

I'd be interested when it's your turn to ask questions, if they offer "employee discounts" for any of the courses you'd like to take. Ultimately, you may become too busy to take them, but it shows you looked over their offerings to research what they do.

Keep busy,
Lynx

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

from a mention

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers. Reading The End of Ignorance by John Mighton. He writes plays, studies philosophy, and discovers ways to teach math (or maths in England) to whole classes of students the system has discouraged and then after that written off as weak or incapable. Well,he says, maybe how we think (philosophy) about how we teach and how students learn that's the weak link.

Anywho, he casually mentions he gained a great deal from reading about Sylvia Plath's intensive study of writers: deconstructing how their sentences and structures worked, mimicking them, etc. So, off I run to the local Univ library to find her letters home. What a prolific letter writer. And yes, here and there she drops hints. Those are fun to search for.

Today, I'm adventuring in Downtown Seattle as the steady reign of rain seems like it might take a break. So, off I go.

Lynx

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Thanks for your comments, Lynx. I thought I would just mention that I have an ergonomic keyboard at home and I'd have to adapt to their regular keyboard. Just to let them know i'd need a little time to get up to speed.

I just ordered a special pen that is supposed to help with tremors. At least I could write by hand better. It will arrive February 14th.