February 2020 Daily Steps

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

taxed again

Post by Lynx »

Today begins a holiday weekend. Looking to get 3 hr in on taxes by Monday. it's part of my keep the string going for this month. Hope to get in 16 days out of 29. So far, think I missed one. Seems a lot, but many days it's no more than opening my excel and clustering expenses by deduction category and then closing the file. For that, just 5 or 10 minutes.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

carrying on

Post by Lynx »

Hi. Today have more steps to take viz. taxes. Finding limiting my hours to about 2 at most per day leaves me feeling sharpest as I finish. Too much over that and I'm not so sure my figurin' stays accurate.

Also, feels like I'm clearing my time with finishing this up and reading and returning library books. I'd like to take the Yale course "Science of Well-being" in Coursera but need to clear the time and head space. Free now, most popular course in Yale's history. Told my partner, "I guess I stay miserable a few more days while I clear the time."

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

This just in

Post by Lynx »

Hi. Elaine, prowritingaid sent me something on self-publishing but I can't seem to get its link right.

This is an archive link to it.

Lynx

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Are we done?

Post by Lynx »

Hi steppers. Are we done? Time to wrap this thread?

If so, let's have a few days to clock in our good-byes and declare what parts unknown we're traveling to. And whether we want to join the same board as a group.

Lynx

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February 2020 Daily Steps

Post by inspiresuccess »

NO! WE HAVE UNTIL MAY 1ST!

I'd love to go someplace else together. I just don't know where.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: updates

Post by inspiresuccess »

Lynx wrote:
Yup. This is a site for AARP's Senior Employment Program.. It's a Dept of Labor (Federal) program, so look for other vendors offering it.

In December, found this foundation that helps with some medical costs, depending on what the issue is: https://www.healthwellfoundation.org/patients/

Just found this site, haven't vetted it much but it might drop a worthwhile idea or two: medicareresources.org Lynx

I checked out the AARP program and I don't qualify. My income is about $2,000 per year too high. Plus, they only pay minimum wage and the minimum wage in my county is less than $9.00 per hour. I haven't checked out the other two places.

I was told that my health insurance through ACA can continue. It's not limited to me being 65. It's $12.00 per month and covers way more than cleanings. They covered my deep gum cleaning, my root canal, and will probably pay for my tooth removal that I need. I wonder why your ACA coverage only covered cleanings.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ACA dental

Post by Lynx »

Hi,

I only used my ACA dental for cleanings, deep scraping, and I think a pair of fillings, x-rays. It covered more but I didn't need it.

When I got more income and over my head busy I didn't want a surprise audit to draw off my time and mental capacity (and stress me further) so I went back to my private dentist and insurance via AARP's vendor.

Insurance is more or less designed that it's never a good fit for us pay our own way peasants: either public programs with time and pace and service degrades or private plans at much more costs.

Sigh. Only so much lifeforce for activism.

re: where to go. I know this site has till May 1, but if our energy is flagging on this thread, we can call it "over" sooner. Look back through this month and maybe the end of January for several sites I discovered. If you like, I'll post my Google doc with all the quotes I've collected the past couple of weeks.

I benefit from the engagement and watching/supporting other people. I also would enjoy a ritual leavetaking rather than people forgetting or drifting off without saying their goodbyes. My manners are to not leave a party before finding the host and telling them I had a good time.

Me? I'm heading to psych central. I'm already familiar with PC, there's lots of people, etc. My handle is Revu2.

I'm sensing that After Feb. 29, I might move most of my energy there.

Be alert,

Lynx

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Okay. I guess I'm panicking. Too much is changing all at once. Medicare. Trying to find work. Losing Barbara Sher. Tremors. Hearing loss. Anxiety. :( Everything changes March 1st. Plus, my 65th birthday on the March 18th. :( :? :(

skyland
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skyland »

I was looking at posts going all the way back to 2008. I’m impressed that some people have kept on posting for 12 years. I think it’s a success that we all grew “old” here and can say we’re survivors even if too much time was spent trying to pay for dental care or looking for work.

Hey I even “pitched” a screenplay. For all I know someone turned it into a semi successful TV show.
Last edited by skyland on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

hollywood

Post by Lynx »

Skyland, I am interested to see the thread where you saw stories here were used by a writer for a TV series. Can you direct me? Lynx

skyland
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skyland »

Some of the links no longer exist. There was a scene between my character, Meg, and my friend, Sherry, where she describes her plans to go on a cruise with a friend. The bathroom scene ran the risk of being overused so I removed it with help from my friends.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Hi,

I guess I haven't posted in a while'. So I've been catching up with the posts you've all added here.

Inspire, - medical troubles. !@#@%!$#@ I hope you stay really healthy.

Lynx, if you're ready to say good byes I'm going to try the web site you say you'll be visiting. Psych central? Is it one of the links you posted earlier?

I'm not ready to leave the boards, but. sigh, time marches on and we have to also. It's been a great twelve or so years.

Me - healthy again. I have a couple of things to post here, but I'm going to look for the link you mentioned earlier first. Instead of procrastinating.

Happy moving day to us all.

And I'm not leaving the Boards until April 30th.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Okay, I found the link to the boards on psych central.

I'll give it a try.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Psych Central

Post by Lynx »

Hi Crew,

Yes, feeling the leave taking blues, for sure.

The best "shore" in psych central for us refugees from this thread is probably their "Self-Help Ideas and Goal Setting" forum. I haven't used it that much of late.

My Steinbeck warm-upslive here: Under General > Work and Careers.

Re goodbyes. I know I dreaded getting a closing announcement for nearly a year. And here it is. My first post was in 2006. Here now for 14 years. For long stretches on this thread it seemed to be just Elaine and me. We carried on.

Yes, at times there's more daily flux stuff like getting out for walks, running errands, taking care of our health. To me, anything fits we want to fit. The number one all time goal is to live the type of life we want and these things are needed to reach that.

I also understand the appeal of the challenges. Set your commitment, dig in, charge ahead for 30 days, then it's over no matter your success ratios. It's a bit like Nanowrimo in that way. This site, being always in play fit my own challenges, though I didn't ever try to find a challenge for myself.

More as the days progress, but I had these thoughts on my mind.
Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

skyland
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skyland »

I still reap the benefits of some of the self-help efforts I made from this board just like my “mirror” the TV show used Barbara’s method of “finding” your true calling as a “cure” to life’s ills as the plot of the show. Like everything else on the show they didn’t credit Barbara for the theme but rather chalked it up to a “gift” the star of the show was born with! :|