Letters to inspire us

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Letters to inspire us

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 01, 1999 9:32 am

For years, I've been getting letters from people who made the decisions we're all grappling with in the Wish/Obstacle Forum. They have done-- or about to do -- wonderful things with their lives. I think they provide pure inspiration, and let the rest of us see that great outcomes are possible. In other topics in this "Success Stories" forum, we'll get more into the details of *how* such things get done, and how you can do them too, but in this topic, just the happy words of people who are going for what they want. If you have any stories to add, yours or someone else's, we need to hear them. Please post them here. (Please forgive all the Barbara Sher praise -- I'm trying to cut it out of the letters so you can see the substance, but when people write me, it's usually to say something nice. I don't want to completely rewrite the letters, so some "thank you's" must remain visible. (As I say in my workshops: "If I show you a sensible, real way to get what you want, I want some applause at the end -- and a little adulation would not be amiss." But I don't mean it about the adulation. Honest. [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited August 01, 1999).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 01, 1999 9:47 am

"Dear Ms. Sher I have never written an author before, but wanted to let you know that your advice on doing what you love is a much needed message in today's workplace environment where the "bottom line" is worshipped at the cost of all else. My journey began 2 years ago, just before my 40th birthday, as a flight attendant, along with my crew, we safely evacuated 104 passengers off an aircraft with a big problem on board. That experience of facing the prospect of my own death, as well as well as already feeling stagnated with the future, began a major turning point in my life. I began to strive for my goal of becoming a working artist - a dream I left behind 20 years ago. I now know I have a choice to live a full, rich life. Thanks for helping to clarify that and give me the courage to keep moving in the direction my soul says I must go: to art school and beyond! C.B., Arizona [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited August 01, 1999).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 01, 1999 9:54 am

(On a postcard advertising "Rug Art: High Style in Custom Area Rugs.") Barbara I read your "It's Only Too Late..." book a year after leaving a large corporate sales job to start my own business, and I can only smile to think what you have written was for me. It's not easy but the return rewards are not insignificant. My wife and children see a new person. One we all like." BW, CO [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited August 01, 1999).] [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited September 11, 1999).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 01, 1999 10:50 am

"The dark cloud that has followed me for several years now is but a speck in the sky! I realized I wasn't crazy after all -- just having a midlife crisis! What a relief! "Three years ago I gave birth for the second time. There are ten years between the two children. My babysitter moved away, and I quit my job of seven years and went home, which was where I wanted to be. "But that's when the crisis started. I wanted to take care of my kids, and other kids too, so I became a foster parent, but I was pretty sure it was too late for me. Still, I gave your book a try. "It's amazing how sometimes you only need the one missing piece to a puzzle and you don't know it. My perspective changed completely! "I realized it was important to pay attention to the fact that I love the sewing machine and every object I've really loved has been made by a sewing machine. "Here come the butterflies in my stomach: I am seriously going to give crafting a try and hope to have my own shop by the year 2000! "With the help of my wonderful husband, I now look forward to each new day with energy I haven't felt for years. The pieces now fit together, and now I expect to be so (happily) busy!!!" MW, Schenectady, NY [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited August 01, 1999).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 01, 1999 10:58 am

"Hi Barbara Wishcraft put together many things I had discovered in my lifelong search to facilitate my own and others' success. Wish I'd found it sooner! The road might not have been so long and hard. Even so, it's been worth it because I do have part-time work that I love, teaching human communication at the college level. I delight in helping my students create a safe, fun learning environment where it's okay to be and feel all that one is -- and complaining is allowed! Next? I love to write and I'm interested in intentional communities. I'm a newcomer to Georgia and I don't have a built-in social group, so my next dream is to create a long-distance community that networks by phone and e-mail." Liz, Georgia [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited August 01, 1999).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 01, 1999 11:06 am

Dear Barbara: I'm finally starting to get anchoredin my own practice which consists of bodywork and occasional workshops, fairs etc. I love autonomy. Autonomy is my real dream. For the first time ever, my life is my vacation and I'm so happy I can barely believe it. A big change from when you met me in 1996. Now people come to me and pay me to work on their bodies, and of course give them support with their aspirations too. And they get all of this I am living. The happier I get, the happier I get! IO Sacramento, CA
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Arsinoe » Sun Aug 01, 1999 6:48 pm

Barbara, Here's a direct, on-line letter... Picked up my first copy of "Wishcraft" shortly after it was published. At the time I was looking for something to read on the beach, and your book was the most promising of the choices on the drugstore rack. At the time I was a full-time caseworker in Child Protective Services in the South Bronx. My dream was to become an art historian, but from my family background that seemed as unlikely as saying "I want to go to Hollywood and become a movie star." It was a difficult time, too--family illness, and the death of two friends left me depressed. I was attending graduate school part-time, but funds were very tight. One simple idea in that book hit a responsive chord. I realized that I could be and art historian by doing the things that art historians do. Starting the very next day I began to write reviews of exhibitions, organize shows, and give gallery talks at the local museum. At first I did all of this without any pay, just for the experience. Eventually I got my first university teaching job. In 1987 I began to think that I would like to live in Rome and open an art gallery there. Of course I didn't know anything about how to do this. So I started an online "Wishcraft" group on the old SOURCE network. Two years later, with the help of a lot of friends, I moved to Rome and started a small, non-profit exhibition space not far from the Spanish Steps. Another biggest bonus of that first online Success Team was that I met my life companion, who followed me to Rome. The years in Rome were the best in my life. It is hard to imagine anyone being as happy--doing work that I loved, and in a supportive relationship. There were hard times, too--the worst was when my companion, David, died. Three years ago, I returned to the States, largely because of family reasons. Now I am the Director of an art gallery at a major university. This period, too, has been deeply satisfying, because I am doing work that I love. The next step, I think, will be to have my OWN gallery. This will be a big step, but autonomy and risk-taking are important to me right now. When I can, I would also like to buy a small pied-a-terre in Rome, the city that captured my heart. Thanks, again, for the help and support that you have given over the years. Arsinoe
Arsinoe
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories