good haunting by an ally

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

good haunting by an ally

Postby Violin » Thu Mar 16, 2000 11:25 pm

My Success Team is working through "Live the Life You Love". Last week as I read chapter 2 on gathering allies, I thought, "I don't have any allies like this, but I'll do the exercises to show support for the team." I reminded myself Barbara says on this BBS that if we do all 10 chapters in this book, at the end we'll know what work we want. So I put on my analyzer hat too, telling myself it's part of a big experiment. Honestly, I was skeptical about the value of listing allies as she suggests. I wrote down some allies on a card, and low and behold, they had a lot to say to me! Mozart has been nagging me constantly to get a piano ever since. Okay, now for the haunting. The other morning I was crying over my broken leg (story posted elsewhere on this bbs) and how long it's taking to recover; I was reliving the accident, hearing the sirens, seeing the hospital ceiling from the gurney - you know. Then I thought of my ALLIES. What would they tell me right now? In that moment a new ally came to me with no preface: Anne Frank. I sobbed to her about my pain, my being crippled, my inadequacies, fear I'll never recover all the way and my stupid guilt for giving in to those emotions when I have far more to be grateful for than to complain about. Yes, I know leaning in to fear is the fastest way through it. She reminded me. "You can do this", she said. That was it, I got it. Thanks Anne. But wait, there's more! The next day I was at the library for my SCORE appointment. Afterwards I had to make copies of last year's tax return for my business insurance, and I was grumbling about that. I stepped up to the copy machine, lifted the lid, placed my paper on the glass, then looked up. And whose poster do you think is over the copy machine - bearing a sweet, wise, young face. "You're still just a girl like me", she smiled. "You can do what ever it takes. I believe in you."
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Mar 16, 2000 11:30 pm

Ah, what a great post, Violin. Thanks for telling it to us. [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited March 17, 2000).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories